Howard Schisler's UniGo has found a good home - hitch Q - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Oct 1st, 2011, 5:30 pm Thread Starter

Howard Schisler's UniGo has found a good home - hitch Q

Howard's very nice UniGo has made its way from Morton's to my garage.

Between me and my wife, we haven't yet decided whose bike will be rigged for the trailer (maybe more than one bike to be equipped to pull it?). The most likely bikes to pull the trailer are an R1150GS, an R1150RT, and a K1600GTL.

For each, what are your preferences for hitch supplier, and most importantly, why?

Background: When I pulled a Bushtec with my LTs, I used the Bushtec hitch, and was very happy with it. I understand that for the K16GTL Dauntless has a hitch out, and Bushtec has one coming.

That has now exhausted my bike hitch knowledge -- I don't know who else might offer a K16GTL hitch, and I know *zero* about 1150GS or 1150RT alternatives.

Any/all help appreciated!

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA

Last edited by mneblett; Oct 1st, 2011 at 5:35 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Oct 1st, 2011, 7:30 pm

Re: Howard Schisler's UniGo has found a good home - hitch Q

Hey Mark,

I heard from Jeff at Morton's BMW that you had bought my Unigo. Good for you, and I'm very glad to hear it found a good home. I don't have any answers to your questions regarding hitches, but I can tell you a few things about the trailer.

The unit has 15k miles on it. It's painted Dark Graphite Metallic, the same as my '05. I assume you saw the area of scratches high on the left side, where I dropped it once. You do not have to remove the hitch to remove the rear wheel if you drop the tire straight down.

You're going to like the Unigo. It's good for what it is - a smaller trailer that tracks right behind the bike. I liked it so much that I was actively talking with Jeff about buying it back; I was 'this close' to doing that... but then it was sold... to you. So, now our decision has been made for us, and that's OK.

Enjoy the Unigo.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 8:16 am

Dauntless was bought out by DMC Sidecars. I have a DMC Sidecar/Dauntless hitch that I bought used for a about $200.00 and fitted it on our 2006 R1200RT. We also purchased a new Unigo at the end of 2010 and have been using it all summer including our trip to the rally in Bloomsburg. One thing to note no matter what hitch you buy you may have to fabricate an adapter to use the Unigo receiver. In our case Unigo didn't make a adapter that would go right into the angled Dauntless receiver on our bike so I had to fabricate one, which I had a local trailer shop do. Other than the receiver issue the DMC Sidecar/Dauntless hitch has worked well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0003_5.jpg
Views:	1605
Size:	669.4 KB
ID:	33076   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0004_5.jpg
Views:	801
Size:	639.6 KB
ID:	33077   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0005_5.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	638.7 KB
ID:	33078   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0043.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	33079   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01186.jpg
Views:	1333
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	33080  

Stephen

2006 R1200RT
2010 Unigo Trailer w/Dauntless Hitch

post #4 of 7 Old Dec 4th, 2011, 9:10 pm Thread Starter

Follow-up:

I finally had a chance to put it all together today :

I went with the DMC hitch, and Jay at DMC made up a UniGo receiver bar for it. My hitch installation pics are in this thread, post #'s 9, 11 and 15:

http://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-...html#post29811

The receiver bar is similar to the one above, but made up from welded square tube, not bent plate. Seems pretty long; hoping it's not "flexy" -- first test ride hopefully in the next few days to find out whether that's really an issue:

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #5 of 7 Old Dec 4th, 2011, 9:11 pm Thread Starter

Oh, and Howard, what air pressure did you prefer to run in the UniGo tire?

Thanks!

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #6 of 7 Old Dec 5th, 2011, 7:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mneblett
Oh, and Howard, what air pressure did you prefer to run in the UniGo tire?

Thanks!
I honestly don't recall... sorry. I'd go with whatever was stamped on the side of the tire. IIRC it was a relatively high tire pressure. Or, maybe it's because the tire is so small there just wasn't any flex in it when I checked it out.

Some additional thoughts for you:

1. You may be the first K1600 rider with a Unigo!?
2. With the length of your custom hitch setup, you should have no problem backing the bike-Unigo rig. I don't know what you can see in the 1600's mirrors, but being able to back up unassisted is nice.
3. I showed my wife your new photos. She said "You know, we need to get another Unigo", and I agree with her. We really enjoyed it, and even though we'd like the larger capacity of the bigger trailers we like the size and weight of the Unigo. Let us know if you decide to trade up some time in the future.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #7 of 7 Old Dec 5th, 2011, 9:10 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
I honestly don't recall... sorry. I'd go with whatever was stamped on the side of the tire. IIRC it was a relatively high tire pressure. Or, maybe it's because the tire is so small there just wasn't any flex in it when I checked it out.

Some additional thoughts for you:

1. You may be the first K1600 rider with a Unigo!?
2. With the length of your custom hitch setup, you should have no problem backing the bike-Unigo rig. I don't know what you can see in the 1600's mirrors, but being able to back up unassisted is nice.
3. I showed my wife your new photos. She said "You know, we need to get another Unigo", and I agree with her. We really enjoyed it, and even though we'd like the larger capacity of the bigger trailers we like the size and weight of the Unigo. Let us know if you decide to trade up some time in the future.
Thanks, Howard -- no problem! From what I've read, 27-30 seems to be the concensous from the distributors and a few of the more experienced users. I'll start at 27 psi and go from there.

I know there are 3-4 other trailer hitch installs on the K16 list, and one other person posted about figuring out how/where to get a UniGo hitch plate adapter for his bike, but I don't recall seeing pics of another one on the lists -- but given that 99% of BMW riders are not on the major lists, I can't believe I'm the first. And any event, the only one that matters to me is the one tailgating me.

I know what you mean about the convenience of the bigger trailers; my Bushtec was "da bomb" for heavy hauling. That said, our needs just are less today, so the UniGo looks like a promising middle ground.

On the last comment, ok, I'll make it official: You have right of first refusal That said, you may want to go ahead and send out for new brochures, as I'm afraid it might be a while!

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in