New To Trikes! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jun 21st, 2011, 12:27 pm Thread Starter

New To Trikes!

My wife (whose has been riding way longer then me, her '79 me '05) and I will be receiving an K1200LT Hannigan conversion this coming Friday! We're stoked to say the least. The bike is a 2006 and the conversion is a 2008 vintage. There are 13,000 miles on the bike.

Luckily enough while at BMW Detroit last Saturday I ran into couple the with a 1200 trike. Gary (the trike owner) was nice enough chat with me for a bit about what it's like ride a trike and such.

Our rig has just about all the bells and whistles you could ask for, along with Corbin heated seats, a boatload of custom pin striping, the auxiliary gas tank, yada, yada, yada.

Neither of us are big enough to handle a fully dressed LT alone, much less riding two up. We wanted the luxury of LT and be able to tour ride two up, rather then on separate bikes, so this looked to be a great way to do it.

So if anyone has any thoughts about us being new to both riding a 1200, as well riding a trike for the first time, please feel free to share your thoughts. Any suggestions about the care and handling of an LT compared to our 2002 1150RT would also be appreciated.

Here are a few phone cam images to give you an idea what she looks like. I'll say it again..."WE'RE STOKED"!

Happy riding!
Carol and J P Lapp

Last edited by CJLapp; Jun 21st, 2011 at 12:45 pm. Reason: The photo links
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jul 4th, 2011, 8:55 pm

Re: New To Trikes!

Congrats on the Trike. Got ours a year ago this weekend and have put 8000+ miles on it. What we've added was a Zumo 660 GPS and hooked it into the com system. Couldn't tell from the pics if it has the "Factory" comm system. But having one makes 2 up riding a lot more fun.

We also did the extra inch mod (moving the trunk back an extra inch beyond the factory back position). Added jpegs and did the gas cap lock mod. Look in the how to's for the extra inch and the gas cap mods. Also since your trike is always standing straight up do the canisterectomy so if you over fill her it won't plug up the canister.

Z-Link armrests and backups backrest are awesome (and I believe there are some right now in the classifieds.

If you have a garage door opener get the flash 2 pass system it's awesome..

Get a battery tender and put the BMW style connector on it so you can plug it in quickly.

THe guardian half cover fits great and is small enough to store behind the passenger set after the extra inch mod.

I also did a brake flasher and luggage rack running light mod.

We have a July 25th build date for Russell Day long Seats. After 2 1500+ mile trips we are really looking forward to some more backend comfort.

But most of all have fun and be safe.

Also Check into the SouthCo cam-vice latch for the trunk. PM me if you want more info. It is much better then having to pull a key out every time you need into the trunk. I'm also working on a power lock for the trunk (I think 06's have power locks)

Dave

My wife also just mentioned how much she likes the top box liner. Makes traveling nice to be able to just pull it out and head into the hotel. We also have a bag that fits on the luggage rack where we keep all of the heated and rain gear.

----------
Dave

2008 K1200LT Hannigan Trike
1991 K75RT (RIP)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by rosenhauer; Jul 4th, 2011 at 9:20 pm.
post #3 of 7 Old Jul 5th, 2011, 7:31 am

........tires....................
I had Michilin road pilots on mine and did not like the wet traction............
Auto tires are made for more weight and do not perform as they should otherwise.
Finally put on General Altimax and wet traction much improved.
Karen and I did The Iron Butt National Parks tour of 11,000 miles in perfect comfort.....
We put our sleeping bags in lightweight waterproof bags and strap them between rear arm rests and the remaining hard bag handles.....
Cee Bailey windscreen with wings fixes air flow over passenger......................
Keep that universal greased...............................
Lean into corners even though bike doesn't ..feels more comfortable........

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old Aug 29th, 2011, 12:49 am

Arm rests for the pillion, and Back-up back rest for the pilot. That way, your wife can sleep without falling off! Works for us! Welcome to the trike world!

Jerry

BMWMOA # 134919
2000 LT Hannigan Trike
1986 Suzuki TM400 (gone)
1957 BSA 500 cc Twin (long gone)
1955 BSA Golden Flash (longer gone)
1950 or thereabouts HD 165 cc 2 stroke! (gone in 1954)
post #5 of 7 Old Aug 29th, 2011, 9:43 am

That's a beautiful rig that I'm sure you'll enjoy for many years. As I'm sure you already aware there's a huge difference between riding two and three wheels. As such, I would highly recommend that you look into a getting some training. Don't know if you can fine one in your area but I can highly recommend the S/TEP (SIDE CAR/TRIKE EDUCATION PROGRAM) program. It covers all the basics plus some more advanced techniques. You can research this program and perhaps find a school in your area at; http://www.esc.org/class_sidecar_beginner_rider.php . Look under S/TEP National Schedule. I do see one school listed in Michigan.
Happy motoring!

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #6 of 7 Old Sep 24th, 2011, 8:57 am

JP
I have a '05 with Hannigan conversion in gold.
I added a small tank bag. The trike came with a Ztechnik top box rack. I added the matching soft bag for added gear storage.
Pillion seat has Ztechnik arm rests. They are very good for the passenger.
C.Bailey wind screen adds more protection

It looks like the trike trunk lid has a handle on it. Can you describe or post a picture of it?

Happy triking
Joe T
post #7 of 7 Old Apr 27th, 2012, 3:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosenhauer
Congrats on the Trike. Got ours a year ago this weekend and have put 8000+ miles on it. What we've added was a Zumo 660 GPS and hooked it into the com system. Couldn't tell from the pics if it has the "Factory" comm system. But having one makes 2 up riding a lot more fun.

We also did the extra inch mod (moving the trunk back an extra inch beyond the factory back position). Added jpegs and did the gas cap lock mod. Look in the how to's for the extra inch and the gas cap mods. Also since your trike is always standing straight up do the canisterectomy so if you over fill her it won't plug up the canister.

Z-Link armrests and backups backrest are awesome (and I believe there are some right now in the classifieds.

If you have a garage door opener get the flash 2 pass system it's awesome..

Get a battery tender and put the BMW style connector on it so you can plug it in quickly.

THe guardian half cover fits great and is small enough to store behind the passenger set after the extra inch mod.

I also did a brake flasher and luggage rack running light mod.

We have a July 25th build date for Russell Day long Seats. After 2 1500+ mile trips we are really looking forward to some more backend comfort.

But most of all have fun and be safe.

Also Check into the SouthCo cam-vice latch for the trunk. PM me if you want more info. It is much better then having to pull a key out every time you need into the trunk. I'm also working on a power lock for the trunk (I think 06's have power locks)

Dave

My wife also just mentioned how much she likes the top box liner. Makes traveling nice to be able to just pull it out and head into the hotel. We also have a bag that fits on the luggage rack where we keep all of the heated and rain gear.
We just received our trike this week. It's a 2007 LT. I'm interested in knowing more about some of your suggestions. 1) The brake light flasher and luggage rack running light. I had those on my LT before the conversion, but Hannigan said they couldn't connect them for the trike. How did you do that? 2) The Russell Day Long seats. How do you and your wife like them? Particularly interested in passenger comfort since my wife's biggest complaint about the LT was the passenger seating. Lastly, our bike has the factory mounted Nav.III. Were you able to find a way to mount your Zumo 660 using the factory mount or did you have to go another way? Thank you.

Ray

2007 K1200LT Hannigan- Blue
2012 R1200GS - Rallye
1973 R75/5 Toaster - Black

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in