Uni-Go Trailer on 2008 R1200RT...Need Help - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old May 26th, 2011, 10:27 am Thread Starter

Angry Uni-Go Trailer on 2008 R1200RT...Need Help

I purchased my Uni-Go trailer about two years ago with the Uni-Go hitch. Everything went together nicely and I installed the hitch. The problem arose when I tried to reinstall my side cases. There is a vertical bar that supports the hitch bar by connecting it to the rear frame. No matter what I do, I cannot get this support bar out of the way enough to lock my leftside hard case to the motorcycle.

I have tried to get help from my dealer and from the Uni-Go manufacturer. They don't seem interested in helping. I was also told that I cannot use the trailer without the support of this extra bar. I don't think disallowing the use of side cases is a reasonable solution to adding a trailer.

Can anyone give me a little help with this situation? I haven't been seeing anyone else having this problem. DId I just receive the wrong parts or what?

I have to say, I am more than a little frustrated to have such an expensive trailer just sitting around and gathering dust when it was supposed to be on the road with me two years ago!

Any help would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old May 26th, 2011, 3:50 pm

Re: Uni-Go Trailer on 2008 R1200RT...Need Help

Post some pics my friend and I suspect the forum will have some ideas to try out!

Best of luck - I'm interested in this proceeds myself and like the Unigo style trailer.

Dominatio (Ian)
R1200RT (Arty) is in the house!
R1200GS (the Grey Goose) is No More!
post #3 of 6 Old Jun 1st, 2011, 9:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animaniac
I purchased my Uni-Go trailer about two years ago with the Uni-Go hitch. Everything went together nicely and I installed the hitch. The problem arose when I tried to reinstall my side cases. There is a vertical bar that supports the hitch bar by connecting it to the rear frame. No matter what I do, I cannot get this support bar out of the way enough to lock my leftside hard case to the motorcycle.

I have tried to get help from my dealer and from the Uni-Go manufacturer. They don't seem interested in helping. I was also told that I cannot use the trailer without the support of this extra bar. I don't think disallowing the use of side cases is a reasonable solution to adding a trailer.

Can anyone give me a little help with this situation? I haven't been seeing anyone else having this problem. DId I just receive the wrong parts or what?

I have to say, I am more than a little frustrated to have such an expensive trailer just sitting around and gathering dust when it was supposed to be on the road with me two years ago!

Any help would be appreciated!
What brand hitch to you have? I just bought a new Unigo at the end of last year. I purchased a used hitch made by DMC Sidecars for our RT and it had the vertical bars on it. You really need those bars, and yes, their is not much clearance between the sidecase and the bar. I had to do a little tweaking on one side, the other side fit ok. If you bought the hitch from Unigo and even if you didn't buy the hitch from them, good luck. Those people are totally useless. I'd be glad to help you any way I can. If I remember I had to wallow out the hole that attaches the vertical rod to the main hitch. After I did that I was able to move it over enough to allow the side case to be put on without rubbing on that vertical bar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0005_5.jpg
Views:	747
Size:	638.7 KB
ID:	31562   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01186.jpg
Views:	2369
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	31563  

Stephen
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 R1200RT
2010 Unigo Trailer w/Dauntless Hitch

Last edited by sdan451; Jun 1st, 2011 at 9:42 pm. Reason: Adding Pics

post #4 of 6 Old Jun 14th, 2011, 4:52 pm Thread Starter

I bought the Unigo hitch. I have had the hitch on the R1200RT for about a year without the vertical bars but I have not been using the hitch. That is because I was told I really need the vertical support. I will be install the bars and see if I can some how manipulate them to work.

Last I remembered, I needed about 1/2" more of clearance in order to get the luggage bags to latch and I just could not get that out of the vertical bars.
post #5 of 6 Old Jun 14th, 2011, 6:10 pm

By all means make sure you have that hitch well-secured. And it will be worth it -- don't even know the Uni-go is back there (on my wing with bushtec vertical hitch which secures in 6 locations and uses Uni-go coupler)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P5220193.jpg
Views:	642
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	31688  
post #6 of 6 Old Jun 14th, 2011, 8:29 pm

Ok, so you've got the hitch sold by Unigo! Did you get installation instructions with the hitch? I would really like to see how and what the vertical bar attaches to on top. I know the bottom attaches to the main hitch bar, but it would be really helpful if I saw some photos or an instruction sheet. I looked on Unigo's website and they no longer show a hitch available for the R1200RT, so I can't look at that picture anymore. If I had some pictures I could come up with a solution for you!

Stephen
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 R1200RT
2010 Unigo Trailer w/Dauntless Hitch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in