first time to pull trailer? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Mar 27th, 2011, 12:03 pm Thread Starter

first time to pull trailer?

wireing is done hitch installed. any advise for first ride with trailer behind the bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Mar 27th, 2011, 12:40 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: first time to pull trailer?

First gear is pretty tall and you will notice this with the trailer. Make your starts very gentle on the clutch but once she is rolling go for it. Be careful in the turns as if you come in too hot and hit the brakes the trailer will push your rear end around. Found this out trying to keep up with sport bikes on US 1 in Calfornia, don't know what I was thinking but I almost forgot I had the trailer behind me.

Stopping distances can be increased also with the added weight. Just don't get behind the power curve in traffic and have to come to a quick stop - leave some distance.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old Mar 27th, 2011, 2:40 pm

Don't forget that you have gone from a single-track vehicle to a three-track vehicle.

For example, you may steer the bike between potholes/sewer covers/etc., but your trailer wheels may go over them, giving you a bit a surprise jolt if you are not thinking about the other two wheel paths.

Also (same issue), pay a bit more attention to lane placement -- if you are prone to riding the line, or for many, riding close to the line by the shoulder in a tight right turn, you can drop a wheel off the edge of the pavement of drag it along the side of a curb. No need to swing way wide in a turn, just watch your mirrors through your first few turns to make sure you know where the wheel is when you are x feet off the line.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA

post #4 of 5 Old Mar 27th, 2011, 5:29 pm

I pulled a trailer around the Cabot Trail, Cape Breton Island, a couple of years ago. Biggest thing I noticed right away was the trailer pushing the bike on stops, once I got used to it and started slowing a bit earlier, I never thought about it again. Backing up wasn't a problem with the reverse on the LT, my brother-in-law on his old Gold Wing was envious. Even on the winding, twisty, Cabot Trail I really didn't notice the trailer, other than, as someone already posted, trying to avoid potholes, debris in the road, etc., isn't quite as easy. But having a cooler of cool drinks and a bunch of sandwiches in the cooler was great. Also, with variable weather conditions, being able to just throw the heavy coat in the tralier and grab something lighter was awesome. On a trip, especially with the wife on board, I wouldn't try to do it without a trailer. Now I have to get that same trailer connected to the RT.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old Mar 27th, 2011, 7:14 pm

When fueling (on the side-stand in 1st gear), be careful if on a downward plane, the extra weight of the trailer will push the bike forward while you're fillin' her if the wife opens the trunk or pushes forward for any reason!
Additionally, always be cognizant and aware that you are pulling the trailer, it is easy to forget!

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in