Tag-along trailer noise?? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Mar 6th, 2011, 3:07 pm Thread Starter

Tag-along trailer noise??

Hi all, just took my tg along out for it's first ride and it appears the rear leaf spring is rattling against the bottom of the trailer frame. There seems to be about an 1/8 inch gap. I have the leaf springs mounted with the eye hole of the leaf spring towards the front of the trailer. The rear has no eye hole, only a bent tang which points downward a good distance behind the bolt. I did put a piece of hose on the rear bolts. The trailer frame and ear leaf spring just rattle. Ok just checked that the spring moves freely on the front bolt. I have the rear of the trailer jacked up under the rear frame. The rear of the leaf spring is resting on the hose covered bolts. Between the frame and leaf spring is 1/4 - 1/3 inch of space. Just downright sloppy.
I must of done something wrong because it just ain't right. All help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Marc Pillis- MSF Rider Coach
Union, Kentucky
2005 LT
2004 R1150GS Adventure
2013 DR650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Mar 6th, 2011, 7:09 pm

Re: Tag-along trailer noise??

Hi Marc:

From your description you've got "slipper" springs. You're on the right track installing a piece of hose over the bolt to take up the gap and reduce rattle. I used some nylon reinforced translucent hose - typically used for plumbing tasks and a step down from steel braided. Available by the foot at just about any hardware store.

I think it's made from polyurethane. Pretty tough stuff and hard enough to resist wear over time compared to regular rubber hose. Makes a great "ghetto" bushing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #3 of 4 Old Mar 7th, 2011, 4:51 am Thread Starter

yes is is a slipper spring. I will look for some thicker hose but not sure if I can take up that much slack above the spring, the bolt is below the spring. I am wondering if I can find some kinda hard plastic and epoxy it to the bottom of the frame between the fram and the spring. Not sure it would stay in place with the spring moving in and out. Thanks

Marc Pillis- MSF Rider Coach
Union, Kentucky
2005 LT
2004 R1150GS Adventure
2013 DR650

post #4 of 4 Old Mar 7th, 2011, 9:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpillis
yes is is a slipper spring. I will look for some thicker hose but not sure if I can take up that much slack above the spring, the bolt is below the spring. I am wondering if I can find some kinda hard plastic and epoxy it to the bottom of the frame between the fram and the spring. Not sure it would stay in place with the spring moving in and out. Thanks
A piece of UHMW (ultra high molecular weight) plastic would be ideal. It is available in many different thicknesses and you many be able to get a scrap for free from a local plastic supply house. The harder you compress it the more it lubricates. You won't be able to epoxy it on since glue won't stick to it - but a couple of sheet metal screws recessed below the surface would do the trick. You'll NEVER wear it out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in