Monogo trailer? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Feb 12th, 2011, 10:23 pm Thread Starter

Monogo trailer?

Anybody have any expierience with a Monogo trailer?

Eric von Laue

3Cyl Kawa ( a long time ago)
450 Yamaha Seca ( maybe it was a Maxim )
1100 Honda Magna
650 Honda XR ( to Guatemala and back)
1990 Honda PC800 ( Mountain Mama )
2000 BMW 1200LT ( Maxamillion )

Keep the rubber side down
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Feb 12th, 2011, 11:56 pm

Re: Trailers

Never heard the name. Where are they made and are they tent trailers or cargo trailers?

Bill
05 K1200LT
post #3 of 6 Old Feb 13th, 2011, 7:05 am

I don't think you'll find anyone here using one since I doubt if they have a US Distributor - and the vast majority of members here are American. They are basically a really cheap car top carrier mounted on a cheap wheel with a cheap frame. You could build your own for 1/4 the price.

Motorcycle Trailer Towing

Trailers, Sidecars, & Trikes - BMW Luxury Touring Community

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Feb 13th, 2011 at 7:13 am.

post #4 of 6 Old Feb 13th, 2011, 7:33 am

I've had one since August 2006 for my 1991 Honda ST1100. They are manufactured and sold by "Michel" from a small town east of Montreal. Since they're not US DOT compliant, no shipping is allowed to the US. It was a "ride-in" experience for me - from SC to Montreal and back...

I was interested only in one-wheel trailers back then and researched all of them at the time, including the ever-popular Uni-go. I ultimately ended up picking the Monogo for the following reasons:
1. capacity - the Monogo has slightly larger capacity than the Unigo - in addition, it's length made carrying longer items a non issue.
2. cost - back then, with the favorable exchange rates, the Monogo was significantly less expensive than the Unigo.
3. durability - back then, I was planning on touring Alaska on my '95 Triumph Tiger and was looking for a trailer that could handle rough roads, etc. - the Monogo fit the bill as Michel also sells it in other configurations and the higher ground clearance would be an asset.

Michel makes these in a small shop and then has a machinist/fabricator located several miles away make a custom hitch for your particular bike.

The transaction went fine - the only problem was that it was miscommunicated to me about how long it would take the fabricate the custom hitch - led to me being "stranded" in a French-speaking campground overnite without the bike.

I use the Monogo roughly 2-3 times a year - normally when touring 2-up or camping solo.

I have had issues with the trailer "wagging" behind me at speeds above 65 mph - very disconcerting as it causes the bike's rear end to "wag" as well. I've spoken to Unigo owner and they reported the same issue - to the point that they eventually sold it - may be
inherent to the design perhaps.

Now that I have the LT, I'm faced with a dilemma - do I configure it for the Monogo or do I buy a 2 wheel trailer like a Bushtec? My wife & I sorely miss the extra room that the Monogo affords...based on my experience with the Monogo, it's not worth making another trip up to Canada to get a custom hitch built for it - Michel does sell/ship the hitch components so I could get a fabricator here in SC to build one. However, I've just acquired Bushtec hitches for both the LT & ST - but, the prices on Bushtecs, even used, may force me to wait a little longer....
post #5 of 6 Old Feb 13th, 2011, 12:45 pm

I bought one of these last year. It's great. The wheels are set back and the tongue is quite long which makes it extremely stable at speed. I packed lot of stuff in there. It comes with 3 chrome wheels, a rear bumper and a cooler rack. I paid the extra and bought a swivel hitch, as I felt that if I layed the bike over (unheard of on an LT, right?) the swivel would not put strain on the hitch and twist it. I put 15000 km on it last year and not an ounce of trouble. It's a great price at under a grand.The only thing I noticed is a feathering of the tires.-May be an axle alignment problem. I would expect to change them every two years anyway.
http://www.piggybacker.com
post #6 of 6 Old Feb 13th, 2011, 5:33 pm

There is also another Canadian mnufacturer, they are in Alymer, Ontario, called the "Third Wheel". If you google Third Wheel Trailers you will find their website. I almost bought one, but decided I needed the room a bigger trailer provided.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in