Re-building my Dragon - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old Dec 14th, 2010, 1:47 pm Thread Starter

Re-building my Dragon

It's a long story but the bottom line is I threw the rod cap on cylinder one over Labor Day weekend. The rod cap got pushed through the top of the block. It appears I broke a rod cap bolt. Found the bolt with the nut still on it in the case upon disassembly. Only notice I had that something was going wrong was a little knock that went away when I added more oil. Came upon some slower traffic, downshifted and BAM! Luckily I had the clutch pulled in so I just coasted over to the edge of the road.

After being quoted $12,500 for a new motor by the local BMW dealer, I thought I would just part it out. That's where ErineA on this website comes in. Ernie had me over a few years ago to teach me how to do the 12K maintenance including the valve check. I purchased a lift and modified it to lift the Dragon (my trike). I've done all my own maintenance ever since. It is yet to be determined if I did or did not do something that lead to the failure. I was whining to him about my predicament. He felt we could re-build her for a third of that price. So, I took my lift to Ernies, and we started disassembly while I looked for a used engine. Found one from LTPARTS.COM with about 40K on her. Mine had 58K, 24K when she was triked. Ordered a butt load of parts from Denver BMW (they gave me the best discount and free shipping). It sure is nice to have mechanically skilled friends.

About this time, after completely removing ALL of the body parts, my wife asked me if I was going to have the Dragon painted while she was all in pieces. I said, "Sure, what color would you like?" We settled on deep red metallic with gold metallic trim (Think Ironman colors) The Dragon was an 05 in light yellow metallic. I also removed the wheels, fork tubes, ABS wheel ring on the front, engine covers, foot brake pedal and Ztechnic arm rest supports and took them to be powder coated to match the trim color. There are 21 trim pieces to be painted and 23 body panels to be painted. Got an $1800 quote for this work from a friend who manages a major collision center in Bend, OR. My wife also has a Viking Diamond Embroidery Machine and we have modified a few designs to have Dragons put on the back rests and knee pads. A local auto upolsterer is cutting out the material, then we will put on the designs and they will re-assemble.

Ernie and I continue to work on the bike but slowly, as Ernie also works for UPS and this is the busy time of the year for them. Existing or planned work includes: new valve guide seals,polishing the ports, cleaning & re-assembly of the existing head; rebuild of the oil/water pump; new clutch & pressure plate; drilling the weep hole; new fork seals; new front wheel bearings; replace all of the engine bearings in the used motor; new pistons, rods & rings as needed; replace the rear shocks; replace the fuel transfer pump for the auxiliary tank; and add LED lighting for accents. I'm sure I forgot a few things but basically, she'll be rebuilt for the ground up. We have been taking extensive pictures of the tear down & re-assembly. I'm sure Ernie will post more. Look for a thread called "Inside your engine" in the main LT forum category. We will post pictures upon completion of our project. The Dragon should roar back to life by late March or early April.

Wish us luck.

Randi Kobernik
2005 K1200LT with a 2007 Hannigan Trike Kit "The Dragon"

It is not wise to meddle in the affairs of Dragons for thou art crunchy and good with katsup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old Dec 14th, 2010, 1:52 pm

Re: Re-building my Dragon

Randi
looks like you have the situation well in hand.
Looking forward to updates........

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 32 Old Dec 14th, 2010, 8:23 pm

Best of luck with your rebuild.

post #4 of 32 Old Dec 16th, 2010, 6:58 pm

Good Luck on your reserrection.

I just went through a similar situation on my trike. The Transmission went bad early in the summer. By the end of the summer, I got the trike back. It only cost $6,500. I can understand the heavy cost when you consider that it required complete disassembly (Trike assembly, engine assembly, etc. The mechanic commented that he never wanted to work on a trike again. One month later the starter relay and the master brake cylinder went bad. That killed my trip to Mexico. But fortunately he worked on it since it did not envolve the trike section.

My days of working on a bike are long gone (Too Old). Where are you and your friend located? Would he be willing to work on a trike in the future? I am located in Ranger Texas. Near Abilene.

Thanks,

Richard Cohen
Ranger, TX
2002 K1200LT Trike
1979 R65
post #5 of 32 Old Dec 21st, 2010, 9:18 pm

Garage

Randi,

Holy moly...that is a lot of wrenching to do on a tricycle. I hope it all works out well. You are smart to employ Ernie's expert skills...he really knows the LT as well or better than any of the experts out there.
post #6 of 32 Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 12:42 am

Hey, good luck, Randy!! My 2000 LT trike has a minor oil leak, and being the quality control person I am, it is driving me nuts! When it quits raining, I'll go looking for a wrench who will work on a trike. Las Vegas BMW does not want to do so.

At one time, NECE said to bring it back, they'll work on it! A thought!

Jerry

Jerry

BMWMOA # 134919
2000 LT Hannigan Trike
1986 Suzuki TM400 (gone)
1957 BSA 500 cc Twin (long gone)
1955 BSA Golden Flash (longer gone)
1950 or thereabouts HD 165 cc 2 stroke! (gone in 1954)
post #7 of 32 Old Dec 26th, 2010, 8:42 pm Thread Starter

Richco, I'm in Salem Oregon and Ernie lives just 40 miles away in the Portland area. Thanks to all who have commented. I know it is a huge undertaking but without Ernie's help, I wouldn't even try. She'll be quite the showpiece when Ernie, a host of others, and I get done. We'll post pictures soon. Thanks for everyones encouragement. I plan on attending CCR this year. I'll be moving back to Bend, Oregon in June. That puts me just 4 hours from Boise. Hope to see alot of you guys at CCR.

Randi Kobernik

It is not wise to meddle in the affairs of Dragons for thou art crunchy and good with katsup.
post #8 of 32 Old Jan 3rd, 2011, 3:24 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Re-building (your) Dragon

I put the rest of your front end together today Randi. It looks real sharp with the new powdercoat. Powdercoating has left us with the challenge of chassing threads with taps prior to any install I'm afraid. The coaters did not plug all holes and that lets a whole host of media into the threads. The axle holes in the sliders needed some attention for the axle to slide in and out smoothly as well.

Enjoy!

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 68k (Totaled! 8/11/19 Deer strike)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #9 of 32 Old Mar 16th, 2011, 12:49 am

Hey, Randi, what's the status now? Pics?

Be safe.

Jerry

Jerry

BMWMOA # 134919
2000 LT Hannigan Trike
1986 Suzuki TM400 (gone)
post #10 of 32 Old Mar 16th, 2011, 1:38 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubajgp
Hey, Randi, what's the status now? Pics?

Be safe.

Jerry
I'm not Randi but can shed some light on the progress. The used engine is in the process of being rebuilt. I will be assembling the engine this weekend now that the new pistons came from Germany this past week. Vacations over and now its time to get her back on the road. More pictures of the assembly will be posted in the coming two weeks as she retakes her old (but much different) form.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!

post #11 of 32 Old Mar 16th, 2011, 9:35 am Thread Starter

Thanks Ernie for reporting on the motor. I got most of the body pieces (Deep Red Candy Metallic) back from the painter. Now they are working on the trim pieces (Gold). I will start re=assembling all the hardware on the body pieces. Pictures are coming soon. Mid April the beast will be back.

Randi Kobernik

post #12 of 32 Old Mar 16th, 2011, 4:52 pm Thread Starter

OK. Here are a few pics of the red body parts. They are covered in dust but I think you'll get the the idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Red Parts 1.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	411.3 KB
ID:	30724   Click image for larger version

Name:	Red Parts 2.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	30725  

Randi Kobernik

post #13 of 32 Old Mar 16th, 2011, 11:50 pm

Thanks to you both, Ernie and Randi. Ernie, for you info, I had an LT converted to a Hannigan in Colorado just after Randi. We, Randi and I, have communicated in the past, and I appreciate your input! I remember that he had a broken axle, very unusual!

Randi, that color is amazing, like no other LT!!

Be safe, both of you!

Jerry

Jerry

BMWMOA # 134919
2000 LT Hannigan Trike
1986 Suzuki TM400 (gone)
post #14 of 32 Old Mar 16th, 2011, 11:58 pm

Ernie, I see you are in Milwaukie! My family lived in Metzger when I was born, as in 1936! Metzger will never be the same! Chuckle!!

If you are not familiar with Metzger, it is now between that huge shopping center (Washington Square) and Multnomah. It was just a sleepy country hollow!

Anyway, at the time, we thought that Milwaukie was a metropolis!!!! chuckle

Jerry

BMWMOA # 134919
2000 LT Hannigan Trike
1986 Suzuki TM400 (gone)
post #15 of 32 Old Mar 17th, 2011, 1:54 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubajgp
Ernie, I see you are in Milwaukie! My family lived in Metzger when I was born, as in 1936! Metzger will never be the same! Chuckle!!

If you are not familiar with Metzger, it is now between that huge shopping center (Washington Square) and Multnomah. It was just a sleepy country hollow!

Anyway, at the time, we thought that Milwaukie was a metropolis!!!! chuckle
I know Metzger area well. You are right it is smack-dab in the middle of the Beaverton/Hillsdale/Multnomah suburbs. Milwaukie, on the other hand, is still the metropolis it once was and will never be.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!

post #16 of 32 Old Mar 21st, 2011, 1:50 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Re-building Randi's Dragon

Today I started to assemble the engine on Randi's tike. The parts are all in and vacation is over so the work will now commence.

I started organizing cleaning and storing parts over the past couple months. Randi had to order the piston kits and a main shaft that came from Germany. Today I set up a clean environment to do the assembly work (my bench). I then followed the assembly process that is mapped out in the CD version BMW manual. It pretty much is a reverse of how I took it apart but with a few small changes. I like to follow the procedure rather than try to remember what I did 8 weeks ago anyway.

Today I finished rebuilding the water/oil pump and bagged it for a later install. I then assembled the new main shaft and installed it into the crankcase and sandwiched it in with the sump housing. Next I assembled the the oil pick up tube and sump cover. That is all for tonight. Tomorrow the assembly calls for the rear cover and clutch assy. It should be fun!

I've posted more pictures in my gallery. For some reason the thumbnails are not working but you can read the captions for what work is being done. I hope you enjoy the adventure as much as I do.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!

post #17 of 32 Old Apr 21st, 2011, 1:02 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Re-building (Randi's) Dragon (It lives!)

Yesterday was a milestone day for the Dragon project. Randi's tike (The Golden Dragon) broke a connecting rod last August and it has been a long winter of rebuilding the trike to Randi's custom specs. The engine was totaled and the new (used) engine was in need of a fairly major rebuild on its own.

Randi asked me to be a part of bringing his Dragon back to life. We started on the project in September and it is starting to come to a close. Yesterday I fired up the new engine for the first time. It sounded sweet to hear the engine fire off and settle into a smooth idle at just under 1k. I hooked up the GS911 and all functions are nominal. It is time to bolt up the rear section and put together the bodywork this weekend.

Here are a few pictures of the Dragon as she sits now:

Just before hitting the start button I'm putting the finishing touches on the engine and cooling system. Randi brought over some body pieces and we put the front fender on to check out the color. Outstanding!

I had to move my overhead support to be able to roll the rear section into place. Man there are a lot of bolts holding a Hannigan Trike together!

More pictures as the Dragon comes together. Randi has some surprises ahead for upholstery design that may be as exciting as his paint work. I'll check back and post more as we close this long chapter and get Randi back on the road.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!

post #18 of 32 Old Apr 21st, 2011, 9:33 am

Boy oh boy, Ernie. Next time you open your shop closet, you oughta find it chock full of *atta boys*!!! Great job. Can't wait to see it all finished and on the road. Bet Randi can't wait either. Bet you can't wait either. Bet lotsa of your work oughta be in the HoW pages somewhere!!! Take care, Ernie.
post #19 of 32 Old Apr 21st, 2011, 12:08 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Boy oh boy, Ernie. Next time you open your shop closet, you oughta find it chock full of *atta boys*!!! Great job. Can't wait to see it all finished and on the road. Bet Randi can't wait either. Bet you can't wait either. Bet lotsa of your work oughta be in the HoW pages somewhere!!! Take care, Ernie.
Thanks Dick! You always brighten my day here in the Pacific NorthWet. When we are finished with the Dragon I will take the time to put together some write-ups that might be helpful to anyone wanting to tackle a big project. To tackle a big job like this takes a lot of patience, and Randi has enough of both of us!

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!

post #20 of 32 Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 8:10 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Thumbs up Re: Re-building Randi's Dragon

The process of rebuilding the Dragon has been slow, but speed does not always win the race. Randi has been patient with the process of me working on the Dragon in my free time when I was working my regular job and now as I start a new PT career mixed with retirement. The new engine installed and running was a big thing for us (understated). For the last week I would find myself going out to the shop and just starting it up to listen to her run. It is an exhilarating feeling to hear an engine start up for the first time after a total engine overhaul.

Now the hard part of putting all of the little pieces back together. Organization of parts is key to remembering where things go when this process is initiated. This I have to admit was something I did not do well. When it came to the engine and other components I did a much better job of organizing the pieces to simplify the reassembly process. Now I'm hunting for nuts, bolts and screws! Note to self: Organize NEXT time!

So we are now putting the tupperware back on and Randi has been a great help in the process. Here are a few shots of the Dragon in the past two days:

Randi helping to assemble the Stingray

The nose and front fender are installed

The dash and Stingray look real good!

Randi lookin' like a proud papa!

The Dragon lives and is almost ready for its first ride.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!

post #21 of 32 Old May 10th, 2011, 1:52 pm Thread Starter

Things are starting to come together. Well, almost. Everything is back from the painter. The artist doing the mural on the trike trunk hatch lid is not done yet. Looks like Ernie and I can get this done by Saturday May 14th. Here are a few pics. More to come.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0057.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	31308   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0059.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	31309   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0057.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	31310  

Randi Kobernik

post #22 of 32 Old May 10th, 2011, 1:56 pm Thread Starter

Here are a few more.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0051.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	31311   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0053.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	31312   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0054.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	31313   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0058.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	31314  

Randi Kobernik

post #23 of 32 Old May 10th, 2011, 11:04 pm

Garage

Awesome!!!
I have been wondering on the the task you had at hand. I have been looking for it off and on but in the wrong place. When you were doing the engine rebuild the thread was in K12000LT. Just last week I was reading customizing LT paint jobs. And then it struck me how was 'Ernie" coming along. I saw a black/yellow trike and that lead to this thread. H of a job
I can't think of you being retired cause this is still a JOB and a great one at that.
Do you work on Gold Wings or just BMW. Congrats to you and the proud papa Randi. Hey father's day came a little early this year!
ride safe
post #24 of 32 Old May 26th, 2011, 2:46 pm Thread Starter

Here are a few more pics. Still waiting for the rear trunk lid.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF5512.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	1.89 MB
ID:	31467   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dragon 4.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	31468   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dragon 5.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	31469   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dragon 6.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	31470  

Randi Kobernik

post #25 of 32 Old May 26th, 2011, 11:06 pm

Awesome, Ernie and Randi! Hope to meet that trike, with you on it, in Las Vegas sometime!

Blessings

Jerry

Jerry

BMWMOA # 134919
2000 LT Hannigan Trike
1986 Suzuki TM400 (gone)
post #26 of 32 Old May 29th, 2011, 2:08 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenDragon
Here are a few more pics. Still waiting for the rear trunk lid.
SWEET! I can't wait to see it with the trunk lid on. Thanks for the pics Randi.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!

post #27 of 32 Old May 30th, 2011, 12:40 am

Garage

Just curious.
Ernie or Randi after a job like that are there new papers for the bike? I mean an almost new engine and you working from the skeleton to where it is now I would say a brand new trike. And what about the mileage? What's the hold up on the trunk cover?
ride safe
post #28 of 32 Old May 30th, 2011, 11:44 pm Thread Starter

No change in the papers for the bike. Number goes with the frame not engine. Although the used motor we rebuilt had about 40K on it, about 18K less than the motor that thru the rod, I don't believe I need to make any changes with DMV regarding total miles. Basically, brand new motor in an 05 frame.

I wish I knew what was holding up the graphic artist. He asked for another week to complete the project. That was 2 weeks ago. I know his wife's mother was ill for a while and he was out of town. I drove by his shop but he is never there and only answers voice mails or e-mails once a month or so. Kind of flaky but does phenomenal work.

Randi Kobernik

post #29 of 32 Old Jun 1st, 2011, 7:10 pm

Garage

Unfathomable!
I am not talking about the Vin and the registration. But all that hard work it was almost like a rebirth ok rebuild. My point is since I saw where the project was and now that it is completed except for the trunk they look like two complete different bikes. Evidently that was the intent wasn't it. A trike make over. What about the onboard computer how does it account for the mileage or could that be reset if not for service intervals. Is that the same as the motronics that is referenced in many of these threads. You can see I taken an interest in your bike it is absolutely amazing.
ride safe
post #30 of 32 Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 2:31 pm Thread Starter

Bill, you ask good questions. I don't use the computer much as I also have an aux. tank which makes the readings useless (miles to go, etc...). I keep track of the service intervals myself. The motronics are the brains for the bike including ignition timing and fuel injection. I'm not sure if this also supplies the readings for the BC.

You are correct. The intent was a whole new, customized trike. I think we succeeded. The only other thing I needed to do was show the insurance agent the trike to update my policy. I have replacement cost coverage on it. My rates went up. Go figure???

Randi Kobernik

post #31 of 32 Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 4:23 pm Thread Starter

Finally done. Here are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dragon 7.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	829.6 KB
ID:	31762   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dragon 8.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	967.3 KB
ID:	31763   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dragon 9.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	1,007.3 KB
ID:	31764  

Randi Kobernik

post #32 of 32 Old Jun 26th, 2011, 11:13 pm

Garage

Finally! Finally!
Randi it looks great. That black hole in the back is covered up. Were you riding it without the cover or you just waited. Now I guess people would rather ride your back door than to pull on ahead. I have been out of town for the past 4 weekends (funerals, wedding, visits) and the sight of a trike would remind me to check for an update. I say you have a brand new ride. Enjoy!
ride safe
You too Ernie. Great ride!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in