Bushtec Trailer lights not working - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Oct 8th, 2010, 9:17 pm Thread Starter

Bushtec Trailer lights not working

Hello,

My wife and I are in the middle of a cross country trip on a new bike. We flew to Cali and bought the bike and are riding it home to Georgia.

The lights on the trailer worked perfectly yesterday and sometime today I noticed that that none of the lights on the trailer are working. I checked the 30A fuse under the drivers seat that leads to the trailer and it was still in good shape. I also looked around for a pinched/frayed wire and didn't see anything.

We're supposed to be back in ATL by Tuesday morning for work but if we can't ride at night it's going to be pushing it.

Do any of y'all have any ideas or things to check?

Thanks!

Cliff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Oct 8th, 2010, 9:39 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Bushtec Trailer lights not working

Normally the fuse that feeds the isolator is the culprit. I would go ahead and replace it any way even if it looks good or at least jumper it to eliminate that as a problem. Then check the black wire coming from the isloator - it should go to the battery (-) terminal not a frame ground. I have had one of the internal relays go bad on mine so I replaced the isolator but that only affected one circuit not all the lights.

The red wire/fuse to (+) and black wire to battery (-) will kill all the lights if they are not hooked up.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old Oct 8th, 2010, 10:04 pm
Gold Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff0529
Hello,

My wife and I are in the middle of a cross country trip on a new bike. We flew to Cali and bought the bike and are riding it home to Georgia.

The lights on the trailer worked perfectly yesterday and sometime today I noticed that that none of the lights on the trailer are working. I checked the 30A fuse under the drivers seat that leads to the trailer and it was still in good shape. I also looked around for a pinched/frayed wire and didn't see anything.

We're supposed to be back in ATL by Tuesday morning for work but if we can't ride at night it's going to be pushing it.

Do any of y'all have any ideas or things to check?

Thanks!

Cliff

A quick way to test the wiring is to stop at a auto parts house and get a 12volt circuit tester. Hook the clip to ground and probe the fuse block & make sure you have voltage going to, then thru the fuse. Then you can check each wire output at the trailer plug on the bike side. You should have one wire hot any time the key is on- a second that is hot with the brake on & two that are hot intermittantly with the turn signals. If you have power at the fuse but no power at the plug then the adapter is defective. You should be able to get one at a U-Haul outlet & they could probably even wire it in for you if you are not proficient with wiring. If nothing else they would probably even test your existing one if you need them to.

Jim Davidson
2007 R1200RT

post #4 of 7 Old Oct 9th, 2010, 4:34 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by hp1bmw
You should be able to get one at a U-Haul outlet & they could probably even wire it in for you if you are not proficient with wiring. If nothing else they would probably even test your existing one if you need them to.
Good points except for the last one. Bushtec trailers use separate lights for turn and stop so a standard U-Haul won't work. The trailer connector is a six pin flat. I did use one from U-Haul for my old trailer fed by my Bushtec Isolator before I got a Bushtec trailer.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old Oct 9th, 2010, 5:24 pm
Gold Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
Good points except for the last one. Bushtec trailers use separate lights for turn and stop so a standard U-Haul won't work. The trailer connector is a six pin flat. I did use one from U-Haul for my old trailer fed by my Bushtec Isolator before I got a Bushtec trailer.

The uhaul place here has both types of isolators Four wire & Five wire so I thought they all would have both types.

Jim Davidson
2007 R1200RT
post #6 of 7 Old Oct 9th, 2010, 8:32 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by hp1bmw
The uhaul place here has both types of isolators Four wire & Five wire so I thought they all would have both types.

U-Haul does not have isolators only couplers. The Bushtec system puts no load on the bike's lighting system and supplies all the power to the trailer lights from a separate battery feed.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #7 of 7 Old Oct 14th, 2010, 3:53 pm Thread Starter

It was in fact the isolator shorting out, thanks for all your help. I made it to ABQ the next day and met my father for lunch. He brought some tools and we got her fixed in the parking lot.

The next morning my FD went out about 120 miles out of Amarillo though. What an adventure! Finally got home last night. Thanks to the CMA chapter in Weatherford, OK and the dealership in OKC. Now we're turning around and heading back to Arkansas on it tomorrow!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in