Attention: Uni-go Owners, Past, Present and Future - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old Sep 7th, 2010, 5:35 pm Thread Starter

Attention: Uni-go Owners, Past, Present and Future

Is there anybody out there that has bought in the past year a Uni-go trailer?
Is there anybody out there that has bought a Uni-go trailer and is waiting delivery?
Is there anybody out there that is thinking of buying a Uni-go trailer, if so then read my story?

After many months of checking out all the information I could find I decided on August 19 to order a trailer. I was really not sure if I was going to get the trailer at all because I couldn't find anybody who had a hitch for my 06 R1200RT including Uni-go. Everybody I checked with who made a hitch for the RT said they had none in stock and wasn't sure when they would have any. I called Mark, the owner at Unigo about the situation and he told me that he thought that he had a RT hitch left with some parts missing. He though he had enough parts to make it a total package, but told me to call back at the end of the week. When I called him back he told me he had the hitch and would ship it out next week. Meanwhile I was charged the $500.00 deposit on the trailer and $385.00 for the hitch. Another week and a half went by and still no hitch so I called and Mark said he had been sick and would ship it out. Well another week and a half went by and this past Friday I called to see what was going on. Previous to this past Friday everytime I called Mark always answered but not this time, so I left a message. I called again Saturday and again no answer so I left another message. That brings us to this morning, Tuesday, September 2. I called and again no answer but left another message. I heard nothing from Mark all day and called this afternoon and left another message.

Am I jumping the gun on this or have I been taken? The message on his answer machine doesn't state that he's out of town. That's why I though I'd see if anybody else has a trailer on order with him. I really don't understand why he or somebody hasn't returned my calls. In my mind the only reason I can come up with is that he doesn't have the hitch to send me as he stated he did or he never intended so ship anything out to begin with.

Frustration is setting in.

I will post again when I have more information.

Stephen
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 R1200RT
2010 Unigo Trailer w/Dauntless Hitch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old Sep 7th, 2010, 6:32 pm

Re: Attention: Uni-go Owners, Past, Present and Future

My answers are all "no" to your questions, but in case it helps: I am a Unigo owner and I bought it from Mark at Schoolhouse Motorcycles in June 2007.

I paid my $500 deposit and took delivery 10 weeks later. Mark was sometimes (not always, and not usually) slow to return phone calls or reply to emails; a couple of times he didn't call when he said he would. More importantly, a couple of promised delivery dates were missed. In fact, we were on our way to his shop (about an hour into the 2 1/2 trip from home to his shop) at the agreed-upon date to take delivery when he called to tell us there was a problem.

We picked it up 3 weeks later. I believed him when he told us it was due to a subcontractor problem (the lid was not made correctly); by that, I mean that I believe he is an honest person (subjective opinion) and I could see there were problems with other lids on units in various stages of assembly at his shop (objective opinion).

I've always thought their operation was a little disjointed. Maybe he's a victim of his own success (i.e., too busy to do marketing, sales, and assembly); maybe he needs to hire another person; maybe he has to fight quality control problems outside of his control. I can't say.

On the plus side:
  • Mark and his co-worker spent a lot of time with us, answering my usual multitude of questions.
  • There have been no issues with the trailer. It works as advertised. It's small, lightweight, and tracks right behind the bike. You can wheel it into a hotel room if you want to. (I did that a couple of times, then quit doing it...)
The ultimate question is: Would I do it again? Not sure. It does everything we need, but on a really, really long trip a larger trailer could be nice.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
post #3 of 29 Old Sep 7th, 2010, 7:32 pm

I purchased mine with Howard and agree with his assessment of the buying experience with Mark. One thing I will add is that he was very prompt in sending me a new tire to replace one that was melting the surface rubber. A Metzler issue, but he was very prompt on that matter.

Anyway, it is tough to get a hold of Mark, and I never received an e-mail reply. For me, the Unigo is the only way to go and I would do it again in a heart beat.

Good luck and hang in there. Besides, he is a former aircraft mechanic so he can't be all bad!

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite

post #4 of 29 Old Sep 7th, 2010, 8:33 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply. Not sure if it makes me feel any better.

I've been in business for 30 years and I just don't understand how somebody who also owns a business could let someone leave 4 messages and not return any one of them. But I guess everybody is not like me. So from what your saying it's just Mark and one other person. Nothing wrong with that, keep expenses low to increase profits. I think what irritates me more than anything is that I assume he sending me something that I already paid for and nothing shows up. It's like if your having trouble getting stuff out, there is such thing as a phone or email! Just good business practice, don't leave the customer hanging. He did tell me six weeks till the trailer is done! We'll see, first I need to get the hitch.

Stephen

2006 R1200RT
post #5 of 29 Old Sep 8th, 2010, 7:02 am

From what I have read in the previous posts, I would not do business with someone who doesn't return phone calls, that is POOR business!

I would ask for a refund on your CC and move on to something else.

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #6 of 29 Old Sep 8th, 2010, 7:31 am
cws

Garage

For what it's worth, while searching for a trailer to buy I've had some email discussions with a guy in Queensland, Aus who supposedly has a bit of history with Unigo & Schoolhouse....according to him he still owns the rights to "Unigo" in Aus, Japan and Germany if I recall correctly.
He's currently designing his own single-wheel trailer to sell, which I've seen some photos of basic structural parts (chassis) but not a complete unit as yet. His plan is to go into competition with Unigo... provide a better product & better service....
He had quite a tale to tell....

Contact was:
David Unison G.M.E. Pty Ltd
[email protected]

It probably won't make you feel any better though..... maybe you better not contact him....

I don't own a trailer yet, but will probably get a 2 wheeler for my needs.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #7 of 29 Old Sep 8th, 2010, 4:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws
For what it's worth, while searching for a trailer to buy I've had some email discussions with a guy in Queensland, Aus who supposedly has a bit of history with Unigo & Schoolhouse....according to him he still owns the rights to "Unigo" in Aus, Japan and Germany if I recall correctly.
He's currently designing his own single-wheel trailer to sell, which I've seen some photos of basic structural parts (chassis) but not a complete unit as yet. His plan is to go into competition with Unigo... provide a better product & better service....
He had quite a tale to tell....

Contact was:
David Unison G.M.E. Pty Ltd
[email protected]

It probably won't make you feel any better though..... maybe you better not contact him....

I don't own a trailer yet, but will probably get a 2 wheeler for my needs.
Don't hold your breath waiting for David's version, he's been working on it for at least three years. He dropped into my place with a friend of mine in 2007 and at that time it seemed the Aussie version was not far off.

As for mine, I love it. It's done some miles now starting with a lap of Australia, and then been hauled down to Tasmania and back behind the K. Pretty good experiences in the main.

Daz

Never take life too seriously, nobody gets out alive anywayÖ..

Black (03) LT
Matching Uni-Go
Ulysses Member 30740

Growing Old Disgracefully.....
post #8 of 29 Old Sep 8th, 2010, 6:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpr1998
From what I have read in the previous posts, I would not do business with someone who doesn't return phone calls, that is POOR business!

I agree with you Brett. But when there is one of a type to choose from, and it IS what you want, one has to roll with the punches. I'm glad I did.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #9 of 29 Old Sep 8th, 2010, 6:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlesj
I agree with you Brett. But when there is one of a type to choose from, and it IS what you want, one has to roll with the punches. I'm glad I did.

I agree, after all it is your decision to make!

I though, can't stand poor customer service; no service, no sell!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #10 of 29 Old Sep 8th, 2010, 8:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlesj
This pretty much sums it up for me, too. At the time, it was the only single-wheel (read "slim") m/c trailer I knew of. Since then, I've seen another brand but it's... shall we say, "unattractive" ... IMHO, and I didn't care for it. To each his own.

I found a photo of it. I think it's called the N-Line:

Another single-wheel unit is the Unimate.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #11 of 29 Old Sep 8th, 2010, 8:45 pm Thread Starter

I called Uni-go this afternoon and this time Mark answered the phone. I could tell by his voice that he knew it was me. He told me that they have been busy moving to a new building and hasn't had the time to get the hitch shipped. He never gave me a reason why he hasn't returned my calls. Ok, right now I have no reason not to believe him but in the back of my mind I have these little bells going off. He told me he would ship the hitch out this week (of course I've heard this before). I asked him how the trailer itself is progressing and he told me it's right on schedule. Well, only time will tell.

If I lived close to their shop I would take a ride and see what's going on. Of course if I was that close I could just pick the hitch up from him. Wonder if anybody lives fairly close to Uni-go's shop who could see if they really did move? I really do want one of these trailers but I'm also feeling a little apprehensive about the whole thing.

Stephen

2006 R1200RT
post #12 of 29 Old Sep 8th, 2010, 8:51 pm
cws

Garage

Daz, interesting comments about David... I'm not that surprised really....

Here's few more single-wheel options (photo's that David sent me)... interesting whats out there... there's a couple of private manufacturers around making some butt-ugly trailers

click

think I'll wind up with one of these

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #13 of 29 Old Sep 8th, 2010, 8:56 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler

This pretty much sums it up for me, too. At the time, it was the only single-wheel (read "slim") m/c trailer I knew of. Since then, I've seen another brand but it's... shall we say, "unattractive" ... IMHO, and I didn't care for it. To each his own.

I found a photo of it. I think it's called the N-Line:

Another single-wheel unit is the Unimate.
While I was looking at trailers I also saw these but didn't like the look of them.

Stephen

2006 R1200RT
post #14 of 29 Old Sep 8th, 2010, 10:10 pm

There is another make called
Third Wheel,
Made in Quebec
Very similar to the Unigo.

Eric von Laue

3Cyl Kawa ( a long time ago)
450 Yamaha Seca ( maybe it was a Maxim )
1100 Honda Magna
650 Honda XR ( to Guatemala and back)
1990 Honda PC800 ( Mountain Mama )
2000 BMW 1200LT ( Maxamillion )

Keep the rubber side down
post #15 of 29 Old Sep 9th, 2010, 2:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdan451
... If I lived close to their shop I would take a ride and see what's going on. Of course if I was that close I could just pick the hitch up from him. Wonder if anybody lives fairly close to Uni-go's shop who could see if they really did move? I really do want one of these trailers but I'm also feeling a little apprehensive about the whole thing.
What's their new address? I live about 2 hours E/SE of their Monroe, OH location. (I guess this is now their "old" location.) I don't anticipate being over that way any time soon, but I can could always run over on a weekend sometime...

I hope, for their sake, that this move is a good thing. By that I mean I hope they are moving into a larger facility (a good sign) and not down-sizing to a smaller facility. When I bought mine they were still settling into, and setting up at, their current (now old) location. They had much more room than the previous location.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #16 of 29 Old Sep 9th, 2010, 8:27 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
What's their new address? I live about 2 hours E/SE of their Monroe, OH location. (I guess this is now their "old" location.) I don't anticipate being over that way any time soon, but I can could always run over on a weekend sometime...

I hope, for their sake, that this move is a good thing. By that I mean I hope they are moving into a larger facility (a good sign) and not down-sizing to a smaller facility. When I bought mine they were still settling into, and setting up at, their current (now old) location. They had much more room than the previous location.

The last time I talked to him I didn't get the new address, however the next time we talk I will ask him for it. You've been at the shop, were they in several different buildings?

Stephen

2006 R1200RT
post #17 of 29 Old Sep 9th, 2010, 8:47 pm

No, they had 1 relatively-large space in a larger building, with room for an office, showroom, and assembly area. Here's a pic of what their building looks like; I was certain I had a shot of just their portion of the building, but instead I have these 3 ugly mugs in front of the part of the building that isn't theirs. But, it gives you an idea what it looks like. They had maybe 1/3 of the floor space in this facility.

In the middle is Mark Huffman, owner of Schoolhouse Motorcycles; on the right is Rick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Schoolhouse Motorcycles.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	28801  

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #18 of 29 Old Sep 14th, 2010, 10:15 am

Stephan:

Please let us know what you ultimately purchase, Uni-go or something else. I am really interested in a Uni-go for my R1200RT but could go back to a Bushtec which I had when I owned a K1200LT several years ago. The Bushtec was great and carried more than enough. I traveled several thousands of miles with no problem until the lock on the hitch decided to pop off and caused the trailer to become detached from the motorcycle at highway speed. Luckily no one hurt and only slight damages that was repairable (about $600) but it really turned me off to the attachment/locke setup. I had just check the lock by pulling on it at a gas stop just 20 miles before it came loose. The key lock that sits on top of the "pin" came off and the trailer hitch came off the pin, and the chain did not hold. My suggestion if to change out the lock every two years because they wear out.

westcott360
Frisco, Texas
2008 BMW R1200RT (Titan Silver)
post #19 of 29 Old Sep 14th, 2010, 8:18 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcott360
Stephan:

Please let us know what you ultimately purchase, Uni-go or something else. I am really interested in a Uni-go for my R1200RT but could go back to a Bushtec which I had when I owned a K1200LT several years ago. The Bushtec was great and carried more than enough. I traveled several thousands of miles with no problem until the lock on the hitch decided to pop off and caused the trailer to become detached from the motorcycle at highway speed. Luckily no one hurt and only slight damages that was repairable (about $600) but it really turned me off to the attachment/locke setup. I had just check the lock by pulling on it at a gas stop just 20 miles before it came loose. The key lock that sits on top of the "pin" came off and the trailer hitch came off the pin, and the chain did not hold. My suggestion if to change out the lock every two years because they wear out.
So far since my talk with Mark early last week I have not heard from him about my hitch. If I don't have my hitch by the end of the day on Thursday stuff's going to happen. It's such a shame that you have a person like this running a business. I will let you know what happens. Sounds pretty scary on your LT. I've pulled a camper and a Harbor Freight trailer which I still have on my now sold LT and never had any problem with them. Do the Bushtec's use a different type of hitch than the standard ball? Glad to hear that no one was hurt.

Stephen

2006 R1200RT
post #20 of 29 Old Sep 16th, 2010, 6:00 am

The Bushtec hitch has a pin that sticks up from the rear plate that the trailer fits down on. The Bushtec trailer hitch connection is a swivel "eye loop" that allows the connection to swivel with the motorcycle as it leans into turns without putting strain on the connection (like the standard ball would do). The round lock fits down on the pin but the trailer will put upward pressure on the lock and can push the lock off if the lock is worn out or the lock not pushed down fully on the pin.

In my case, I had used my Bushtec trailer for several years without any problem and had just checked the lock at a gas station by pulling upward on it to make sure it was snug. Despite this, the lock popped off as I was riding down the road. The trailer separated from the hitch, broke the chain connection and went off the road to the right in a rural area into a dirt berm.

Check out the Bushtec wed site and you can see a picture of how the Bushtec hitch connection is different from a standard hitch you see on other trailers. By the way, Bushtec makes a hitch for the R1200RT.

westcott360
Frisco, Texas
post #21 of 29 Old Sep 16th, 2010, 3:19 pm Thread Starter

Ok, Itís Thursday, September 16, 2010 at about 2:20 pm and no hitch. Iím making my call to Unigo to find out about my hitch that was suppose to be sent out 3 weeks ago. This time instead of Mark Huffman answering the phone Iím greeted with a voicemail greeting and a manís voice that Iíve never heard before. Please push 1 for sales, 2 for service and so on. After going through the voicemail promps I finally get to a point where I can push 3 for Mark Huffman, Mark answers the phone. Hey, Mark this is Stephen Daniels, whereís my hitch. Mark, says ďItís sitting here all boxed up waiting to be shipped.Ē Thatís all I needed to hear, I was about ready to explode. He didnít even give me an excuse. Mark, I should have had this hitch three weeks ago and all I've heard are excuses. First you were sick, second you were moving. The last time we talked you didnít even give me an excuse. He didnít apologize but said do you want your money back, and I said, YES. He continued to inform me that he hasnít owned Unigo for a little over a year now and that someone from Jacksonville, FL bought the company and is moving everything down there. I told him what I want to know is how quickly can you process my refund. He told me he would do it today and that they still have my credit card info there.

With their track record itíll probably be 6 weeks before I get my money back , if I ever do. If I donít see the money by Monday they will be hearing from me daily.

Thatís it folks. Let my aggravation be a warning to anybody who chooses to purchase one of these trailers and do business with Unigo. As far as Iím concerned, these people, Mark or whomever owns this company are not to be trusted.

Stephen

2006 R1200RT
post #22 of 29 Old Sep 16th, 2010, 9:11 pm

Sounds like a business that will be closing the doors soon.

Thanks for posting your experience. It's a warning to all of us that were considering the product.

westcott360
Frisco, Texas
post #23 of 29 Old Sep 16th, 2010, 10:30 pm

I hope it works out for you, Stephen.

I also hope the new owners do whatever it takes to polish their image. They have a good product - it caught your eye...

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #24 of 29 Old Sep 17th, 2010, 11:19 am

These are all signs of a business that is about to go (or already has) gone BK. Sad... but unfortunately I'm betting your money is long gone and you'll be contacting your credit card company - which should cover you. As much as I bitch about credit cards this is their one saving grace. I would do it NOW and not wait for their refund - they obviously have a proven record of deceit in their dealings with you.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #25 of 29 Old Sep 17th, 2010, 7:54 pm Thread Starter

I went ahead and contacted my credit card company and reported to them what has transpired so far. They didn't want me to wait to see if a refund arrives from Uni-go They went ahead and created a case and would put the money back into my account within 5 business days. It'll be up to the credit card company to get the money from Uni-go. Hopefully this worthless company and their owner(s) will come through with a refund. However even if they don't I'm not going to be out anything but my time.

Now I'll have to start the process all over again looking for another trailer.

Thanks for the heads up on contacting my credit card company.

I'll let you all know if the refund from Uni-go arrives.

Stephen

2006 R1200RT
post #26 of 29 Old Sep 17th, 2010, 8:23 pm

http://www.thirdwheeltrailers.com/

I think this is your next best bet

Eric von Laue

3Cyl Kawa ( a long time ago)
450 Yamaha Seca ( maybe it was a Maxim )
1100 Honda Magna
650 Honda XR ( to Guatemala and back)
1990 Honda PC800 ( Mountain Mama )
2000 BMW 1200LT ( Maxamillion )

Keep the rubber side down
post #27 of 29 Old Sep 19th, 2010, 7:11 pm

Sorry to hear about your experiences...

I love, love, LOVE my uni-go trailer... I bought a used one and would never go to another. The combination of aesthetics and performance are wonderful. I would suggest you just look for a good used one. They come up for sale occasionally.... for example, since this post started, there have been a couple that sold on ebay.

My $0.02...

'04 BMW R1150RT "my first and only"
post #28 of 29 Old Sep 20th, 2010, 9:10 pm Thread Starter

Good news, my refund from Uni-go showed up!

Penseroso,

I'm happy for you! I wish that things would have worked out differently, but I can't deal with a company who lies to me and leads me on.

MountainMama

I did contact thirdwheel trailers cause I had some questions and they did get back me even though is was the weekend. They've been having some design issues getting the trailer to mount to an RT. I just got an email from Juan and this is what he said concerning the hitches:

"The problem we have is that the hitches for the R1150 and 1200 are not quite sturdy enough. So I'm working with the hitch manufacturer in getting that rectified"

These trailers look interesting and I may wait and see where this goes.

Stephen

2006 R1200RT
post #29 of 29 Old Sep 21st, 2010, 9:18 am

Glad the $$$ showed up. I had my doubts. I do like the way the Uni-Go looks. Have you contacted Bullitbill from here? He is a Uni-Go dealer in the Dallas area.

"BONES" <///><

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in