Power lock on Hannigan Trunk - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jul 7th, 2010, 12:24 pm Thread Starter

Power lock on Hannigan Trunk

I just got a 08 K1200LT trike and was thinking that the non triked version had power locks on the bags. Is that correct? If so has anyone looked at using that to control a power lock for the lower trunk? Or just piggy backing it off of the top trunk power lock?

It's bugging me that the tank and top box lock with the fob and the bottom one requires a separate key. I could deal with it better if I could use the fob to lock/unlock it and change the latch to a simple push button without a key.

Before I start designing my own I wanted to check if anyone else has already done it.

Maybe adding 2 corner power latches to close it a bit tighter also.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jul 7th, 2010, 12:29 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Power lock on Hannigan Trunk

You can add just about anything you want. The alarm has four - two pin connectors that will drive a door lock slolenoid. One is used for the top box and oddiments box and in your case two are left over from the side case locks. I am surprised Hannigan had not already done some thing along these lines for the 05 & up conversions.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old Jul 20th, 2010, 11:15 am Thread Starter

I'm working on a new latch/lock for the Hannigan trunk. It will consist of 2 parts first a new latch that can be left either locked or unlocked and will pull the door closed better to seal it more. Then the second part will be a lock that will tie in with the 2005+ integrated locking of the bikes (I'll look at how to integrate it with the alarm on pre 2005 bikes if there is demand).

So the question is who would be interested in either or both of these. I'm trying to see if there will be a demand for them to make it worth a full design and build or if I just need to hand do one for myself.

Dave Rosenhauer

PS I'm also going to contact Hannigan to see if they want to offer it to all of the current owners.

----------
Dave

2008 K1200LT Hannigan Trike
1991 K75RT (RIP)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 5:23 am

I have a 2002 KLT Trike. With the top trunk extended back an additional 2 inches, it is difficult to open the bottom trunk. About 3 years ago, I met a guy that built an assembly to release the the bottom trunk door by using one of the side bag lock assemblies. By locking the side bag lock (That still exist, but are not functional on the trike.), you lock the bottom door. I would be interested in a kit that could accomplish this function.

Thanks,
Richard
Ranger, TX
post #5 of 5 Old Jul 26th, 2010, 1:20 pm

I have an 02 and you can put me down for the latch. Bug me to have to lock each time, and the 2 key deal sucks. .

I met that guy (I think CCR07) that had the side bag latch, which is better than the standard Hannigan set up.
Larry

02 K1200LT Hannigan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in