Ural--need input! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Apr 3rd, 2010, 6:56 pm Thread Starter

Ural--need input!

I am considering getting a Ural . Also considering a Can AM Touring model as well as a full size Trike. These are not exactly 'interchangable' in function so I know I am not looking at apples to apples.

I am looking to add a bike --not replace my LT--so it does not have to be a cross continent vehicle ( more comfortable the better though!)

Trike or sidecar look like fun and there is some appeal to the Ural.

Besides the huge cost difference between the three--anybody have recent riding experience to offer any comparisons? Especially a newer Ural with the 750 engine and upgraded gears.

Thanks for any input.

Tom Volk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Apr 4th, 2010, 8:47 am

Re: Ural--need input!

Wife has the 07 Gear-Up (750, etc). It's a blast and a real conversation starter (which sucks if you're in a huirry), but imo it is not an interstate speed vehicle. While you COULD run cross-coiuntry if you have plenty of time, I would suggest it be done on back roads where the speed limit does not go far beyond 60 mph (and at that speed not for too long). It's more comfortable around 45 mph. We don't stray much from home with it yet, The appeal, for us, is the nostalgia, not the speed or comfort, kinda like a Bonneville (I'd love one for what it was and is but don't pretend it's anything it's not).

And you should know that it is more difficult to ride a sidecar rig than a m/c. I've heard folks that never ride say they'd consider getting a sidecar rig. A very bad idea, imo. There are different skills involved and it is a quirky beast (fun, but quirky). The editor (??) of Rider mag or some other mag that is out of NC died on one a while back- He was entering the highway (why I'll never know) with his, ran across the lanes (lost control?) and got hit by a semi truck. This man was a long-time rider, very sad.

The other 2 are capable higher- speed vehicles and I'm sure they are quite comfortable. But, there's nothing like riding a military-styled, arctic cami, Ural and having some dude on a Harley, wearing suspenders, who looks like Santa coming up to talk about your "old" bike, read the Ural on it and ask where it's from. . Or better, having a family walk up and ask if there young kid (4 or 5) can sit in the tub for a second.

When I decide I can no longer ride, I'll have the Ural. Don't know if I ever want a trike, or a Can-Am. Maybe a trike but hte can-am still hasn't clicked for me. Hell, by then maybe we'll have the air cycles like on the Star Trek movie. Yea!

Norwood and LaNett Dennis
12 K1600 GTL
08 K1200LT (sold)
07 Ural Gear-Up Arctic (for sale to get a Spyder)
01 K1200LT (sold)

"Not all those who wander are Lost," J.R.R. Tolkien

Last edited by NCrider; Apr 4th, 2010 at 8:49 am. Reason: Screwed up the year... again. Can't keep them straight anymore
post #3 of 5 Old Apr 5th, 2010, 8:08 am

HI Tom, My brother just sold his Ural. He has a bad knee and back back and some other health issues. He had a Rocket 3, traded it for a new 05 LT, traded that for another Rocket 3 and then traded that for a Ural Loved the Ural for awhile, but then figured out it was harder to ride than a regular bike. It take alot more to ride an Ural, it was really tiring for him to ride. Now he has a 900 Triumph, so far so good. I would take a ride on an Ural if you can and then decide. Chuck

post #4 of 5 Old Apr 5th, 2010, 9:03 am

As I'm sure your aware riding three wheels is very different than two. Trikes offer the stability and since they are symmetrical are somewhat easier to adapt to than sidecar rigs. Having said that, my preference would be sidecar 'cause I think they're more fun. You do however have to learn to deal with yaw and managing the tendency to "fly" the car in right hand turns. The CAN AM is an awesome trike and I believe the RT is probably a competent long distance machine. The URAL is in a different class than the SPYDER but can also be a blast to ride. However, as someone else stated I wouldn't plan on long distance travel unless you have plenty of time and are in great physical condition. If you do go for a URAL just don't be tempted by the Chinese knock off's unless you want to ride for an hour and wrench for two hours. If your really intrigued by sidecars you might be better off looking around for and older model "R" bike with attached chair. It would probably be more reliable and easier to maintain.

In either case, I would recommend that you sign up for a training class before hitting the road. There are nuances with three wheels, especially sidecars, that are better experienced in a controlled environment rather than on the road in traffic. I'm sure there are several classes available but the one that I'm familiar with and can recommend is the Evergreen Safety Council "SIDECAR/TRIKE EDUCATION PROGRAM" (S/TEP). I teach at a school in Florida where we offer all the basic MSF programs as well as the S/TEP class. The S/TEP is sanctioned in Florida as is used as a mandatory requirement for anyone wishing to obtain a 3 wheel endorsement on their drivers license. You may be able to locate a school offering the S/TEP program in your area by looking here; http://www.esc.org/step_national_schedule.php

God luck with your decision.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old Apr 5th, 2010, 8:23 pm

If you are looking at a side car rig (the dark side) H-D still makes a side car for their bikes.

Rusty Snyder

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in