Safety Wheels for the K1200LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Mar 29th, 2010, 11:37 am Thread Starter

Safety Wheels for the K1200LT

I know the purest doesn't like any thing added to a great touring bike like the LT, But at some point in life it becomes essential to continue the pleasure of motorcycling. I currently have a K1200LT Trike. Love it. But I miss the lean. I looked into a thing called safety wheels or ghost wheels before I triked my bike. They were not available for the BMW. Well, now they are. So, has anyone had any experience with this conversion or have any opinions? Don't tell me it is a bad idea unless you are truly knowledgable and can back your comments with facts, or near 70 years old.

Here is the URL to the site
http://www.trikealternative.com/index.shtml

Thanks,
Richard
2002 K1200LT Trike
1987 K75 Sidecar Rig
1979 R65
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Mar 29th, 2010, 11:52 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Safety Wheels for the K1200LT

I say go for it. Sure beats the no-lean trike. So what if it doesn't look "cool". If you want to look "cool" ride a ... well I won't go there. Hey I would do anything I could to get back the great feel of leaning into a curve but still have the safety of a no leg stop if that is what I needed. Hope some one out there has some experience with this.

I like the ghost wheel option over the retract-a trike. I think it would really freak out the cagers.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 Old Jan 13th, 2011, 10:06 am Thread Starter

OK, I have taken the plunge. I am in the process of buying an 05 LT. I will have it shipped to Trike Alternatives. They will do their thing and ship the LT back to me.

It may take a couple of months to complete the process as Trike Alternative's will need to do some new design work for the 05 model year.

Once complete, I will have the stopping capability of a Trike, but the two wheel lean of the LT at speeds above 10 miles per hour. Wow!

I will let you know my thoughts on it after I have ridden it. It will be ready for this summer's riding. And I plan to do a lot of that.

Richard
2002 K1200LT Trike
2005 K1200LT Trike Alternative (Soon)
1979 R65
K6DBR

post #4 of 19 Old Jan 13th, 2011, 10:24 am

Post pictures as soon as you have it done.

Garry

Follow my South America ride at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2011 K1600GTL RECEIVED April 30th, 2011 @ 1:30 pm
2012 RED KLR650

post #5 of 19 Old Jan 13th, 2011, 12:22 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richco
OK, I have taken the plunge. I am in the process of buying an 05 LT. I will have it shipped to Trike Alternatives. They will do their thing and ship the LT back to me.

It may take a couple of months to complete the process as Trike Alternative's will need to do some new design work for the 05 model year.

Once complete, I will have the stopping capability of a Trike, but the two wheel lean of the LT at speeds above 10 miles per hour. Wow!

I will let you know my thoughts on it after I have ridden it. It will be ready for this summer's riding. And I plan to do a lot of that.

Richard
2002 K1200LT Trike
1979 R65
K6DBR

So are you getting the ghost wheels or the retractable trike wheels?

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #6 of 19 Old Jan 14th, 2011, 11:07 am

A friend who lost his legs when a car ran him off the road had these put on a different bike, and loves them. Nothing like watching a guy crawl off a wheelchair onto a bike...

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I
post #7 of 19 Old Jan 14th, 2011, 11:32 am
cwo

Howdy

Sounds like a great idea. Be able to lean the bike when moving, and have some help at the stops.
Post some pictures when you get your bike back.

Chris Ogle

Life is ephemeral. Don't waste it lookin up big words.
post #8 of 19 Old Jan 17th, 2011, 11:09 pm Thread Starter

I will be getting the ghost wheels. That is the only way they can do it, due to the K1200LT configuration. The retractable wheels are only available on the Gold Wing.

They currently make the conversion for the 2003 KLT. They have a customer in Europe with a 2005 KLT and needed another 2005 KLT to modify their existing unit to conform with the the 2005. Thus I am providing them the work platform at a reduced cost. It is a win-win solution.

I will definitely take pictures and post comments.

Richard
2002 K1200LT Trike
1979 R65
K6DBR
post #9 of 19 Old Feb 6th, 2011, 4:29 pm

Well this is my first post on here - prompted by Richco's last comment - I am the guy from Europe who has ordered the set og Ghost Wheels, andam hoping they will get me over the problem of keeping a very heavy but much loved bike upright when approaching stop situations particularly on the many gravel roads we have where I live!!! Will report on their eficiency once I colect them from the USA
post #10 of 19 Old Feb 7th, 2011, 1:20 pm Thread Starter

Grahamo2,

Good to meet you. Trike alternatives has the bike now and are starting to work on it. I have no idea how long it will take to complete the job. But, since it is winter here, I couldn't do much riding anyway.

The reason I converted my 2002 K1200LT to a trike was because I couldn't keep it up on difficult surfaces. Like - sand, gravel, wet, or not level. I am too short and getting older (69). I am really interested to see how the bike handles both at slow speeds (Trike mode) and highway speeds (Ghost wheels). The concept of the ghost wheels is phenomenal. Now we will see how good it works in reality. I would like to continue talking to you when you get the ghost wheels installed and see how you like them.

I see you are in Spain. I was there about 30 years ago. Loved it. Unfortunately I had to leave my bike in Germany. My favorite thing to do in Spain was to go taska hopping. Not sure I spelled it right. I usually stayed in small towns. So, it was easy to go from one bar to another without taking the car. It was great meeting the local town folks and trying their favorite taska's. I also discovered a wonderful drink called Sol-e-sumbra (Sun and shade). After the 5th round I was definitely feeling good.

Here is my Email address: [email protected]

Thanks,

Richard
post #11 of 19 Old Feb 7th, 2011, 2:38 pm

Richard,
I hadn't read your posts before opening up the attachment. When I saw it, I hollered at my wife, and said, "Hey, I found what you can get me for my 75th birthday".
I think it's awesome.
Related story: I was fueling up a couple of years ago, and saw a really old looking fella come in to the station on a Goldwing. He had a landing gear system ( I believe they used to call it "landing gear for the mother ship?). Anyway, he rolls to a stop with the gear down, takes his gas cap off but drops it. He spent, swear to God, at least 3 minutes trying to chase it down (it went about 3' away) and pick it up. Remember how Tim Conway used to walk his old man walk-shuffle? I'm thinking, holy crap, this ain't good. Anyway, he fuels up, takes off, and just like in the video, hits the highway, raises the gear, and away he went, smooth as can be.
I think it was GREAT to see him still riding.
post #12 of 19 Old Feb 7th, 2011, 3:45 pm

Hi Richard,
Just seen your meesage - small world isn't it? I am going to reply more fully on your email address.
Will be in touch - Graham
post #13 of 19 Old May 16th, 2011, 1:44 am

Any update out there?????

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #14 of 19 Old May 29th, 2011, 3:32 pm Thread Starter

Hello All,
Sorry for the delay in posting further info. But unfortunately I had a problem. I am fairly sure I caused it myself. I am a curious person. When I got the bike with the trike mod, I inspected it and played with it to see how it was put together. Unfortunately, I believe I let air into the hydraulics. That's a NO, NO. But I didn't realize it. The next day, when I rode it to the safety inspection station (Required by Texas Law) to Title, It fell over on me and caught my foot under the bike. Today was the first day that I was able to wear a shoe.

I drove the bike about 12 miles before the fall over. Mostly in the two wheel mode. There was a noticeable jolt when I transitioned from the trike mode to the 2 wheel mode. The slower the speed, the less the jolt. In the two wheel mode it handled just like I remember my 2002 LT before the hannagan conversion.

About a week ago I talked to the Trike Alternatives guys. They helped me bleed the hydraulics. So, I am ready for another try. I will wait until I feel my foot is strong enough to do it. Part of my problem is that I am too short and shrinking (Getting Older) and have diabetes. If I could have put my feet down and reposition the the bike in the trike mode, I might not have fallen over.

If there is anyone interested in the mod, and would like to help me on my next try, I would appreciate the help. I live in Ranger, Texas.

Attached are photos of the mod.

I will write more as I learn more. Isn't life wonderful.

Richard
[email protected]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TA-1.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	31502   Click image for larger version

Name:	TA-2.jpg
Views:	1383
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	31503   Click image for larger version

Name:	TA-4.jpg
Views:	1253
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	31504   Click image for larger version

Name:	TA-5.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	31505   Click image for larger version

Name:	TA-6.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	31506  

Click image for larger version

Name:	TA-9.jpg
Views:	605
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	31507   Click image for larger version

Name:	TA-10.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	31508   Click image for larger version

Name:	TA-11.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	31509   Click image for larger version

Name:	TA-12.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	31510  
post #15 of 19 Old May 30th, 2011, 12:40 am

I read with interest your original post. Sorry to hear of your misfortune but fortunately you weren't severely injured. They look like a sweet deal that should extend the use our bikes for a long time.

Be careful out there and don't fool with ' em!

Good luck on your Texas test.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #16 of 19 Old May 30th, 2011, 1:14 pm

I went through the site you linked, and was curious: is there any limit to the lean angle with those on there? Only wondered, cuz it seems like a guy might get in troube if the inside wheel locked in place, thus lifting the rear tire off the ground. Also wondered if you had the option to adjust the tension on the outriggers. Can you make it easier or stiffer to lean? sure is a cool idea in the right circumstances.
post #17 of 19 Old May 31st, 2011, 9:43 am Thread Starter

I can't answer all your questions. I suggest you call Paul at Trike Alternatives, 763-441-2745.

There is some adjustment of the tension of the outriggers in the Trike mode. An accumulator has a set amount of pressure. The lower the pressure, the less firmness of the wheels in the trike mode. The pressure ranges from about 15 to about 40 PSI. I haven't driven enough to feel the deference. Paul told me that most people start out at the upper end. Then move down to about 15 PSI.

On the lean, I had no problems going around curves in the two wheel mode. But I did not go to extremes on my first ride.

Richard
post #18 of 19 Old Nov 8th, 2011, 10:37 am Thread Starter

I have been riding only a trike for about 5 years now. If you haven't driven a trike, it stears and handles very different compaired to a two wheeler. After riding the ghost wheels conversion a few times, I find it is very hard to transision back to the 2 wheels. I am worried that I may make a mistake by appling trike handling to the two wheels in an emergency or semi-emergency condition. It scares me in the 2 wheel mode. My age (70) may have something to do with ihat. So, I recommend that you do the conversion only if you have been riding the LT as a 2 wheeler. I wish I could have done the conversion 5 years ago.

I have decided to sell the bike with the ghost wheel conversion. If you are interested, contact me at: [email protected]. It is a 2005 with ~24,000 miles. I have over $18,000 in it.

Thanks......
post #19 of 19 Old Feb 16th, 2012, 11:54 pm Thread Starter

I have tried to sell the LT with the trike alternatives attached. No buyers. So, I am going to take the trike alternatives system off and do a Hannagan trike conversion. I will sell the trike alternatives system for 50% off cost ($2,225). If interested, let me know. [email protected].

Thanks,

Richard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in