New sidecar owner needs some tips. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Feb 8th, 2006, 12:40 pm Thread Starter

Red face New sidecar owner needs some tips.

I just bought a 02LTE with Hannigan side car, it has the hydraulic steering assist, seat belts, tire is in great condition (chrome rim) vent system looks awesome.

My concern is the left pull when I touch the front brake, I have been told that there will be a pull but how bad. I nearly kissed a JB HUNT truck bringing it home. scared the SH-- out of me. Once I started to understand the hydraulic steering it was a much better ride. I really am nervous about using the front brake now but it contributes to so much stopping power, at least on a normal bike.

anyone have some advice?

Thanks

Swamprat

06 KLT
02 LTC w/hannigan - sold
98 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500E - sold and my butt still hurts
86 Yamaha 1100 Virago (what a machine) - sold
80Yamaha 650 Maxim (from cradle to grave 72K)
75 Suzuki 400
75 Bultaco 250 MX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Feb 8th, 2006, 1:35 pm

I have never had that problem with my rig. I would give hannigan a call and ask them. The best bulletin board for sidecar questions go to sidecar.com and link onto the ISOK board of sidecar owners. Good luck and be careful when you make those right turns. If the sidecar starts to lift add throttle to get it down. If you let off the throttle it will come down but you will go left when it comes down.
post #3 of 4 Old Feb 8th, 2006, 5:01 pm

It sounds like you've got a really sweet rig there.
For what its worth:
I had an old R90/6 that I hung a California sidecar onto, I read all the books, drew lines in the drive way set the toe in and canter.
When I got it all together I took it out for a ride, it scared the sh*t out of me, I put it back in the garage to check everything over cause I thought "there's something seriously wrong with this thing". There wasn't.
It just took some time to get used to the feel of a hack.
Within a couple of weeks I was "flying" the side car and making the girls scream, it was fun. If you're hack doesn't have a brake on it when you apply front brake the hack will try to "pass" the bike giving you the left pull.
When you turn right the hack will want to come up, you have to lean into it, same with left turns, they are a lot more work than 2 wheels.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #4 of 4 Old Feb 8th, 2006, 11:41 pm

If the sidecar brake is connected to the bike's rear brake, a strong pull to the left is expected as the front braking force is only stopping the left hand side of the rig (the sidecar on the right continues to try and move forward).

The best setup I have seen to prevent this is to have the sidecar brake connected to thebike's front brake. With this arrangement you can grab a hand full of front brake, and the rig will wind down to stop in a straight line, and pretty quick... well at least as quick as can be expected. Sidecar rigs aren't known for their stopping ability.

If you have no sidecar brake (but I think the Hannigan comes standard with it) then yes... braking will cause it to pull to the left (as acceleration causes it to pull to the right).

If your sidecar brake is already connected to the bike's front brake, and it's still pulling to the left, something is wrong with your sidecar brake.

Good luck,

Bill B

2000 K1200LTC - Mighty Matilda
2003 KLR650

There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in