Trailer size for LT's - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Nov 17th, 2009, 6:16 am Thread Starter

Trailer size for LT's

What would the minimum trailer size for 2 LT's in an enclosed trailer? Looking at a 6'x12' trailer, They can be staggered so less width, just a little longer then.

Garry

Follow my South America ride at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2011 K1600GTL RECEIVED April 30th, 2011 @ 1:30 pm
2012 RED KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Nov 17th, 2009, 6:27 am

Re: Trailer size for LT's

I had a 6X12 and ended up with a 7x12. There just wasn't enough room for 2 large bikes in a 6 foot wide enclosed.

Marc Pillis- MSF Rider Coach
Union, Kentucky
2005 LT
2004 R1150GS Adventure
2013 DR650
post #3 of 15 Old Nov 17th, 2009, 8:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpillis
I had a 6X12 and ended up with a 7x12. There just wasn't enough room for 2 large bikes in a 6 foot wide enclosed.
What if one bike was parked facing back and one forward?
Although with the LT, the back isn't a whole lot narrower than the front.

If the trailer has a side door, park the first bike towards the front on the side away from the door. Park the second bike facing backwards, towards the back of the trailer so only a portion of the bikes overlap. You can use the side door to access the back of the second bike to secure it. If you use a removable chock, you'll have to roll the bike in first and then put the chock in place.

Of course, be sure the trailer is properly balanced with adequate weight on the tongue.

Or get a wider trailer.

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
-------------------------------
Life's too short to ride ugly motorcycles

post #4 of 15 Old Nov 17th, 2009, 12:29 pm

How in the world would you get an LT backed into an enclosed trailer? Unless the ramp is very long/the incline is very shallow I don't believe reverse gear will get you in there. I wouldn't want to load 2 LT's into less than an 8' width trailer. Just too cumbersome to move around safely.

Wouldn't an open trailer with frontal protection be easier to load? The bikes could be covered when in transit to minimize road rash.

Better yet might be a trailer with 2 carriages so the bikes could be loaded flat on the ground and then winched into place in the trailer. This would be SWEET!

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #5 of 15 Old Nov 17th, 2009, 2:57 pm

Hauled an LT and an RT on a 7x12 a couple of years ago. Both were facing forward but were staggered. Granted it was an open trailer and securing the bikes was pretty easy. I'm not sure I'd want to try doing it in an enclosed box. The extra width in an 8x12 might just the ticket.

Take care,
Chris

"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God" Kurt Vonnegut

post #6 of 15 Old Nov 18th, 2009, 4:34 pm

I suppose anything is possible, I don't think there is any good way to get to LT's in a 6X12 trailer. Even a 7 X 12 would be tight.
post #7 of 15 Old Nov 18th, 2009, 7:04 pm

I own a 6 X 12 V nose Interstate and have floor cleats and a wheel chock.
Have hauled an LT and a half dressed Harley pointed one in, one backwards.
It's TIGHT and two LT's or full dressers most definitely WOULD NOT fit

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #8 of 15 Old Nov 18th, 2009, 8:36 pm Thread Starter

I have been looking into it further and a 7'x10' Aluminum one would be about 1000 pounds. This may be better. It is about the same sq. footage as a 6'x12'

Garry

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2012 RED KLR650

post #9 of 15 Old Nov 18th, 2009, 8:44 pm

A friend and I used a 7X12 for a Valkrie and my LT . We had to stagger them and still I had to knpck the mirrors off. It worked but very tight. The Valkrie was narrower than the LT.
Ron
post #10 of 15 Old Nov 21st, 2009, 9:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry_kramer
I have been looking into it further and a 7'x10' Aluminum one would be about 1000 pounds. This may be better. It is about the same sq. footage as a 6'x12'

Garry
Gary,
I can tell you from owning I think now 5 different trailers that a 7x10 will NOT work for a pair of LT's... I can tell you what does work and provide a couple photo's of you like by email ... I have a 7x17 Vee nose aluminum that i have many times had 2 LT's and a street glide in it !! But my new ultimate is an all composite 102" x12 that holds 2 LT's with a slight offset almost side by side and is so well setup for weight that you almost forget it is there..

Bill
KLR650
Looking for the next machine :<)
Lafayette, Indiana
post #11 of 15 Old Nov 21st, 2009, 1:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by billd
Gary,
I can tell you from owning I think now 5 different trailers that a 7x10 will NOT work for a pair of LT's... I can tell you what does work and provide a couple photo's of you like by email ... I have a 7x17 Vee nose aluminum that i have many times had 2 LT's and a street glide in it !! But my new ultimate is an all composite 102" x12 that holds 2 LT's with a slight offset almost side by side and is so well setup for weight that you almost forget it is there..
I have to agree a 6 X12 is just abut to small for even one LT.
The 102 X 12 sounds like the trailer to have. Having owned a 12 X 6 I found it almost impossible to get around the bikie when it was in the trailer. Lot of luck.
Ride safe.
post #12 of 15 Old Nov 22nd, 2009, 8:05 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemmerbiker
I have to agree a 6 X12 is just abut to small for even one LT.
The 102 X 12 sounds like the trailer to have. Having owned a 12 X 6 I found it almost impossible to get around the bikie when it was in the trailer. Lot of luck.
Ride safe.
I don't have a large truck to haul it with, I have a 2010 Mitsubishi Outlander with a class 3 hitch 3500#. I do not want to get a huge trailer that only use once in a while.

Garry

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2012 RED KLR650

post #13 of 15 Old Nov 22nd, 2009, 9:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry_kramer
I don't have a large truck to haul it with, I have a 2010 Mitsubishi Outlander with a class 3 hitch 3500#. I do not want to get a huge trailer that only use once in a while.

Garry
Hi Gary,
I understand the Outlander issue.. But if you need to pull TWO LT's.
you can consider a 7x14 vee nose all Aluminum if possible.. or find another "Rally Time" 102"x12.. it only weighs 700 empty and gross is 2200. Your other option is two slightly smaller trailer vehicle combo's.. LT's just take up a lot of space and there is no getting around that issue.

Bill
KLR650
Looking for the next machine :<)
Lafayette, Indiana
post #14 of 15 Old Jan 24th, 2011, 8:44 pm

I think one of the problems your going to have trying to put 2 LT's in a trailer side by side is the tongue weight. I have a inclosed 8x14 and the only way I would put 2 LT's in it is one up front and one to the rear, staggered. Another problem is the breakover of the ramp since the LT is so low to the ground.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #15 of 15 Old Feb 1st, 2011, 12:28 pm

I have a 7x14 vee-nosed trailer that I use to haul my bikes from time to time... Is aluminum skinned and that saves a bunch of weight. Two axles with brakes is a must, IMHO...

I have the chocks positioned in a staggered arrangement to maintain proper load balance and keep tongue weight down.

Someone mentioned potential ramp clearance issues... This is not a factor with my trailer... both my LTs and my Harley ride ride up inside without scraping... This may be due to the way the trailer was designed... The ramp pivot point is lower than the deck height and then the deck inside slopes up a little over the aft three or so feet, minimizing the angle of the ramp.

By the way... I moved and have no place to keep the trailer anymore... if you are interested, I will make you a heck of a good deal on it... Just email me...

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in