Tote an LT in a pickup bed. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old Oct 5th, 2009, 11:00 pm Thread Starter

Tote an LT in a pickup bed.

Looking to load my LT in the pick up bed. Most of our years hauling bikes we just rode them up the 2x6 or whatever we had for a ramp. Now I plan on towing a bumper pull trailer and we would like to have the LT with us. Ramps make me nervous, since I will be getting little help. SO, I am wondering if a gin pole type arm with an adjustable post and small winch might allow me to lift and swing the Lt into 8' bed. The plan seemed easier before I wrote this. Sling from footpegs or however to get balance, lift, swing, tie down and move on. I may be overlooking the obvious but seems like a plan.
I would consider a 5th wheel but the bike is too heavy to bolt on the rear.
We have a limited budget so looking for a way to have the old girl along, and the bike, LOL.

Her plan is to forget the camping trailer and do motels while towing a bike trailer.

Thanks for the help.
Bill, soon to be in Portland, OR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old Oct 6th, 2009, 1:44 am

Re: Tote an LT in a pickup bed.

I am probably in the minority but have found a set of ramps that work well for me.
http://www.ramp-master.com/motorcycle.html

I have the three ramp system. Center ramp is rated at 1500 lbs. Two side ramps are 600lbs each. I can load off the street but prefer to back up to a curb to lessen the ramp angle and make it easier on the clutch. I load and unload by myself. Actually found having someone trying to assist you made it more difficult.

It is a little unnerving the first time you climb up into a pickup bed with that beast. But the ramps hold firm. I do not load off the tail gate. I remove it first as I do not trust the tailgate cables.

Hardest part is securing the ramps in the bed so they don't slide into the bike and scratch it.

Glenn BTW
California Delta Country
05 LT, ocean blue ( the replacement player)
05 LT, dark graphite (motorcycle heaven)

1100RT-P in a previous life
post #3 of 24 Old Oct 6th, 2009, 2:40 am

I usually find a suitable loading ramp at a nearby business and 'borrow' it after hours. If none convenient, I will find a good ditch to back the truck down into and load from there. Secure well before driving out!

Most motorcycle or snowmobile shops in my area have ramps built and are willing to let you use them too.

Rick
'05 LT
'01 LT (for parts)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 24 Old Oct 6th, 2009, 6:59 am

A local loading ramp would be your best bet. If it was me, I'd find a ramp and back it in so I could ride it off the truck. I did this once and it worked great. I loaded in a ditch and offloaded on a ramp. You can usually find a ramp near the railroad tracks in most towns.................

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #5 of 24 Old Oct 6th, 2009, 8:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PECCHI
I would consider a 5th wheel but the bike is too heavy to bolt on the rear.
We have a limited budget so looking for a way to have the old girl along, and the bike, LOL.

Her plan is to forget the camping trailer and do motels while towing a bike trailer.

Thanks for the help.
Bill, soon to be in Portland, OR.
I can't grasp that gin pole arrangement at all, butt I guess I'd have to see it in operation in this particular circumstance. I've seen 'em work with hay bales and stuff on a farm, but not loading an LT - darn few grab points!

This may not work within the budget, butt would be the thing I would enjoy using for ease of operation and security and safety. Click here for webpage entry.

Good luck with your plans - be sure and give us your solution and it's workability during your trip.
post #6 of 24 Old Oct 6th, 2009, 8:34 am

my 94 rs weighs in at 680 pounds... i ramp it up and down onto a flatbed with the big boy 2 ramps... http://www.discountramps.com/big-boy...cycle-ramp.htm

the key is getting proper length... look here... http://www.discountramps.com/ramp-calculator-load.htm

i think if you scored a set of 12 foot long big boy 2 ramps you would have no issues riding it up and backing it down... just remember to use both your front brake and your clutch with the moto in gear for rear wheel braking when you back it down...

also... here are the worlds best tie downs... its not good to go cheap on the tie downs... http://www.powertye.com/product_info...products_id=98

j o
post #7 of 24 Old Oct 6th, 2009, 8:56 am Thread Starter

Thank you for the suggestions. What I really was considering was a truck jib crane to lift her. The type that bolts to the rear of the bed. After looking more at you suggestions the crane is a bad idea. Ramps or a loader will be in our future.
Thanks,
Pecchi
post #8 of 24 Old Oct 6th, 2009, 9:36 am

I just bought the Powertye tie downs last week and they are great. I like the padded part that goes next to the tupperware.

Ride 'em if you got 'em.
post #9 of 24 Old Oct 6th, 2009, 10:18 am

Nothing cheep... I bought an ALUMA trailer and took the LT to the last CCR, NO PROBLUMS. I attached a Harbor Freight wheel chock. Can take off the chock and I have a flat trailer for home use. There are a lot of MC trailers out there. Google motorcycle trailers. It will give you days of reading.

There is a lift that you attach to the bed of your truck, that allows you to electricly lift your bike into the truck bed. Real easy, $$$.

If you carry an LT in the bed of your truck, Make sure your truck suspension and tires are rated for the extra half ton plus weight. You do not want to roll over in a turn your not ready for.

Make sure you have spare tires for the trailer. I purchased spares from Shadow trailers.

good Luck and keep us posted
Jim

Loansumrider: Jim
01 LT Fast Pacific Blue ... " The Goose "

? when to ASUME, and HOW MUCH should you ASUME, safely ?
post #10 of 24 Old Oct 6th, 2009, 12:38 pm

A compromise might be a pickup camper with the bike in a covered trailer or a "toy hauler" trailer or fifth wheel with room for the bike in the back.

I was looking at this ramp configuration just for taking the bike in for service http://=http://www.discountramps.com...cycle-ramp.htm It's another solution where the bike gets loaded after being secured to the ramp. My bed height is pretty high on my 1 ton pickup and after loading and unloading a lawn tractor with ramps I decided I would not be comfortable with the incline on the LT and went with a trailer for transport. The covered trailer was the same price as the power ramp.

Everyone's situation and budget is different. Just throwing these ideas out there, you've probably already considered them anyway.
post #11 of 24 Old Oct 6th, 2009, 12:58 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PECCHI
Thank you for the suggestions. What I really was considering was a truck jib crane to lift her. The type that bolts to the rear of the bed. After looking more at you suggestions the crane is a bad idea. Ramps or a loader will be in our future.
Thanks,
Pecchi
I couldn't find a link but I've seen a Wing in the back of a truck on an electo/hydrolic lift that was really slick. Ride the bike into the lift/wheel chock on the ground and the lift puts it in the truck. Not cheap but worked quite nicely.

I ride my 550lbs GS into my 3/4 ton truck with an ATV ramp. I would NOT want to try that with an LT.

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 24 Old Oct 6th, 2009, 1:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by loansumrider
If you carry an LT in the bed of your truck, Make sure your truck suspension and tires are rated for the extra half ton plus weight. You do not want to roll over in a turn your not ready for.
If your truck can't carry a half-ton, you need to get your money back.

But loansumrider is right...do drive carefully, especially in turns, with any bike strapped in the back. The cg will be much higher than normal.

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
-------------------------------
Life's too short to ride ugly motorcycles
post #13 of 24 Old Oct 6th, 2009, 1:38 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukey33
If your truck can't carry a half-ton, you need to get your money back.

But loansumrider is right...do drive carefully, especially in turns, with any bike strapped in the back. The cg will be much higher than normal.
Has nothing to do with the truck and everything to do with getting the bike in there safely. I've hauled many many bikes in trucks and trailers and getting the LT in and out of a pick up bed with just a ramp is not going to be easy or fun. Not saying it can't be done but even with a really good wide ramp and a Baxley Chock for the front tire it will be a ROYAL PITA. Just sayin'.

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #14 of 24 Old Oct 6th, 2009, 3:02 pm

hand cranes are a pain in the arse...

ramps are your friend...

j o
post #15 of 24 Old Oct 6th, 2009, 3:55 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Nice pics.

While it looks like a lot of work cranking it up, it sure seemed to put it right where you wanted it. Maybe an electric one. Nice guide for the top of the sling on the seat, you make that?

I see the ramps, and could be my perspective, but that looks awfully steep to me.

Thank you for sharing these.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #16 of 24 Old Oct 6th, 2009, 6:28 pm

The ramp has to be steep if you're gonna jump that fifth wheel and slide in sideways to the headache rack......................

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #17 of 24 Old Oct 6th, 2009, 7:00 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattler50
The ramp has to be steep if you're gonna jump that fifth wheel and slide in sideways to the headache rack......................

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #18 of 24 Old Oct 6th, 2009, 9:05 pm

This is probably one of the easiest systems I've ever used. I load my bike and then connect a 30 foot Airstream to my truck. No problem loading and unloading. I would not want to load a LT on a pickup riding up a ramp with a 800lb bike, just not a good idea.

http://www.cruisercaddie.com/

Tom R.
02' KLT Silver
00' GL1500 Black
North Carolina
post #19 of 24 Old Oct 8th, 2009, 11:05 am Thread Starter

More great suggestions thank you all for the input. The cruiser caddie looks pretty good. I will post, after we sort this out.
40 degrees this AM, but will be sunny and clear today, I'm off for a ride.
Later,
Bpecchi, SOC
post #20 of 24 Old Oct 8th, 2009, 11:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Shred
I couldn't find a link but I've seen a Wing in the back of a truck on an electo/hydrolic lift that was really slick. Ride the bike into the lift/wheel chock on the ground and the lift puts it in the truck. Not cheap but worked quite nicely.

I ride my 550lbs GS into my 3/4 ton truck with an ATV ramp. I would NOT want to try that with an LT.

You are prolly thinking about the Rampage Lift. Very well made. Excellent piece of equipment. I had one for two years and it worked very well. Three bolts attach it into swaged riv-nuts mounted in the truck bed. Works on long or short beds. Power is a 12V winch wired to your truck battery and uses a QD electrical fitting. It has a fixed frame, a sliding frame, and the wheel carrier into which you ride your moto, then strap it to the carrier and push a button. Initial install takes several hours for all of the electrical and riv-nuts, etc. After that, removing it and/or placing it in the truck is a matter of 15 minutes or so. But, I replaced it with a Baxley Trailer after seeing them at TanTarA CCR.

http://www.rampagelift.com/

EXCELSIOR !!!

----- Barrett
Free at last!

Austin & Crystal Beach TX, Drummond, WI

CCRs - Hot Springs '01, Santa Fe '02, Breckenridge '04, Jackson '05, Braselton '06, Osage Beach '07, Midway '08, Black Hills '09, Killington '10, Boise '11, Duluth '12, Bend '13, Chattanooga in '14, and Coeur d'Alene in 2015.
post #21 of 24 Old Oct 19th, 2009, 9:42 pm

I've been using the Rampage lift for about a year now and have taken multiple camping trips this year with the bike. Expensive, but best investment I have made since the bike itself. I actually bought the lift off of a Goldwing rider forum. I have attached a few pics of the bike loaded. I also have a 8 foot bed on my GMC and it fits great. Hope it helps.
Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0323091633.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	291.9 KB
ID:	25023   Click image for larger version

Name:	0315091656.jpg
Views:	969
Size:	303.5 KB
ID:	25024   Click image for larger version

Name:	0316091335.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	268.0 KB
ID:	25025  

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT
Proud Member of the Patriot Guard Riders
Ken

post #22 of 24 Old Oct 19th, 2009, 9:47 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasnRacin
I've been using the Rampage lift for about a year now and have taken multiple camping trips this year with the bike. Expensive, but best investment I have made since the bike itself. I actually bought the lift off of a Goldwing rider forum. I have attached a few pics of the bike loaded. I also have a 8 foot bed on my GMC and it fits great. Hope it helps.
Ken
That's a nice looking set up ya got there. The long bed is the key.

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #23 of 24 Old Oct 19th, 2009, 9:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Shred
That's a nice looking set up ya got there. The long bed is the key.
Thank Ya! I keep meaning to get a video of the load up and unload but I forget every time! I thought about a ramp when I was looking and going in was OK, but that fast, backwards exit was what worried me!

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT
Proud Member of the Patriot Guard Riders
Ken

post #24 of 24 Old Oct 19th, 2009, 11:09 pm
Super Moderator

I believe unless you have access to a shipping or loading dock for a relatively flat load and unload with a very wide ramp the only way to go is the lifts that mount in the bed of the truck as show on some previous posts.

Take it from someone who has dropped their bike twice loading on to trailers - who even have a lower bed than a truck. Loading the bike is dangerous and tough but unloading is more dangerous since the bikes braking system does not always engage properly since the servo brakes do not always engage until you have put a few rpm's on the wheels.

The other big issue is the angle of attack. I bought a BMW Multi Trailer and the LT scraped when going over the edge unless I loaded pointing downhill. So I'd rather not read about you on the 6 o'clock news. Besides if you pop for the bike lift when you resell it you will get a majority of your "investment" back!!

Good luck and be safe . . .

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in