Trike Question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Sep 5th, 2009, 1:51 pm Thread Starter

Trike Question

As the years go by, the idea of converting the LT to a Hannigan trike comes to mind. I'm not sure if such a move would be to my liking. Would driving a trike be almost the same as riding a motorcycle? Any comments pro or con would be welcome.

Bob Schrader
Wentzville, Mo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Sep 5th, 2009, 4:41 pm

Re: Trike Question

I think the Hannigan LT trike is a great looking ride. I have a Hannigan sidecar instead of the trike because LOVE the way the LT handles on 2 wheels. My wife does not like to "tip". Not in a boat, not in a plane, not on a motorcycle but she is willing to ride 2 up as long as the sidecar is on. So, trike or sidecar.

Sidecar- 10 minutes to install or un-install.
Can be uninstalled
More storage than you could ever need with 14 cu ft trunk
Very stable. Duhhh 3 wheels on ground
Easy to ride on the hwy
Sharp looking Kinda spaceship like
Good for packing around "Bullethead" the Boston Terrier
Electric camber adjust makes FWY driving effortless

Sidecar Con- A royal pain in the ass during around town driving.
Steering is very heavy and requires a lot of effort for low speed turns
Fuel mileage drops from 47 mpg to 32 mpg
More lateral strain on final drive?

Trike? Once it has been triked there is no going back. I would think that the mileage drop would be less for the trike than for the sidecar as it looks like there is less frontal area. The trike is cooler looking than the sidecar. You would be able to send me your final drive as you will no longer need it after the trike conversion!!!

I would say that the biggest advantage to the trike would be no FD. The biggest advantage to the sidecar is the ability to go from 3 wheels to 2 to 3 etc.

(Trike it and let us know how it is!!!)

Loren

Don't have any idea which would be more saleable.

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #3 of 14 Old Sep 5th, 2009, 6:33 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I've got two friends that retired for the second time. Both had blown out their knees in Nam. Neither wanted a trike but when the choice came to continuing to ride or hang it up, they chose the trike. They have both said that it took about a week to learn how to handle the new ride situation and after that it was all good. Just FWIW.

post #4 of 14 Old Sep 5th, 2009, 6:33 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobShirley
As the years go by, the idea of converting the LT to a Hannigan trike comes to mind. I'm not sure if such a move would be to my liking. Would driving a trike be almost the same as riding a motorcycle? Any comments pro or con would be welcome.

Bob Schrader
Wentzville, Mo.
That would be one way to solve the FD issue!

A trike is more like driving a car than riding a motorycle. You no longer need to counter steer to initiate a turn. You lean away from the turn now rather than into the turn. And you don't need to hold the trike up when you stop.

The only comparison of a trike to a motorcycle is you have the same riding position and are exposed to the elements, but from a dynamics perspective the trike not like a motorcycle at all.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 Old Sep 6th, 2009, 8:34 am

I ride a K1200LT trike by Hannigan for long rides w/ Karen
and a R1150RTP for solo riding....
On the trike, G-forces push sideways on you so leaning into the turn feels better and puts weight over the wheel that use to lift on the Servicar and hacks.
We rode our trike from Oregon to Maine and back for a lobster dinner, and this summer 11,000 miles in the Iron Butt National Parks Tour.
It's a great thing for old guys w/ blown knees..
Although I have no problem riding the R1150RTP, on the K bike, loaded and with Karen up, every stop was a contest between weight and my joints.
Is it a motorcycle ?.....Well, is a sidecar rig a motorcycle ? Is a Canam ? ...a rice burner ?
Inatead of joining someones "club", ride what you do and even wave at cousin Harley if you want.
Matter of opinion and perspective.....so who cares? When I hit 90 I'll probably ride a scooter and still smile down the road. If you're ever in Oregon, stop by and I'll let you ride the trike.

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #6 of 14 Old Sep 6th, 2009, 6:10 pm

We converted our 06 LT to Hannington in June, never been on one till we road it home, 500 mi on 2, back 500 on 3.
First 100 mi. went from 10mph to 60, then I-80 for 400 all straight, the wind is still an issue, the trike will not lean into it and you have to be aware all the time, to me 2 wh. was a little less tiring. Our return trip was in the 75-80 mph with no problem, pulling a Bushtec full of parts.
Just returned from CCR. Frst class riding, with a lot 60 mph (speed limit) curves. If I had a choice I'd love to have been on 2 wh. The curves were fun if I set up for them.by leaning into them and you can cut a very nice curve.. If you ride with a group they will probably want you in back account you stop faster.
I went with the the aux. tank and love it only because a lot of stations like C&G do not have super.
I still have a feeling to counter steer and that one thing will get you in trouble real fast.

Check out the Honda trike web, trikes are trikes the motor might be different.

We have 2900 trike miles and we are headed for Wis. Dells rally wednesday, I can not say I love it but I do like it a lot and would do it again.. Oh yes I get about 35-37 mpg, free way speed + with 2 up and Bushtec full of her stuff
Learn to trike young and you will be a master when you are old.
post #7 of 14 Old Sep 7th, 2009, 12:16 am

I bought my SO a Spyder & it's 1000% better handling than a stock trike. I rode the new RT (Touring) model this weekend (an LT with three wheels), and will take delivery before the Holidays...
post #8 of 14 Old Oct 8th, 2009, 10:42 pm

We have a 2000 LT with Hannigan conversion. Love it from the standpoint that it is better than not riding at all! I am 73, not only that, but my wife will not get on a two wheeler (I would!) so this is a well positioned compromise. It is comfortable, will not fall over unless it is hit, it is harder to ride than a two wheeler (harder to turn), but when push comes to shove, I'd rather ride it than not ride at all! So, you need to make the choice, and sometimes it is knees, sometimes it is "geez, I can't pick up an LT if I drop it", and stuff like that! The Hannigan is a quality machine, and Hannigan is a quality company. Hope you continue to ride!

Jerry

BMWMOA # 134919
2000 LT Hannigan Trike
1986 Suzuki TM400 (gone)
1957 BSA 500 cc Twin (long gone)
1955 BSA Golden Flash (longer gone)
1950 or thereabouts HD 165 cc 2 stroke! (gone in 1954)
post #9 of 14 Old Oct 15th, 2009, 4:13 pm

Talking Re: Trike Question

Just browsing the site, an noticed this topic. Just spent 2 weeks in NC, the first weekend was at the Iron Horse motel with The GCBMW club (cincinnati) and that group would disagree with putting me at the rear of the pack. After my first ride with them after I triked the bike back in 2007 there has never been a question about where I am in the pack. If you don't lean into the curves, you will not keep up with the 2 wheelers, because you will be thrown to the outside. Bad back, and leg were my main reason for triking with the SO on the back, but I have had no regrets, approaching 84K miles on the trike, had 44K when I did the deed.

02 K1200LT Hannigan

post #10 of 14 Old Oct 17th, 2009, 6:50 pm

I converted my 2002 LT to a trike about 4 years ago. If you like to take curves at the higher speeds and love the feeling of the leaning, then don't get a trike. A trike is very different than a 2 wheeler. But, for me it was necessary. I am 68, have great trouble picking up a heavy bike. Plus I am short. I had the LT for 4 years before I converted it. I had to limit myself where I stopped. No Gravel, no sand, no wet surfaces, etc. Now I stop anywhere. It feels like driving a convertible sports car without the cage and also, no power steering. I love it. Would I prefer 2 wheels. Sure. But, I am out there enjoying the motorcycle experience.
post #11 of 14 Old Jan 9th, 2011, 11:49 am

Am considering a Hannigan Trike conversion for my 07LT. I checked into general information available on the conversion but did not find any reference to how the clutch is handled. Is the stock LT clutch used for the conversion of is a stronger one used? The reason I'm asking is I am having clutch problems with my LT and it is now getting its 3rd clutch at only 20,000 miles. Obviously I'm not happy and am in "discussions" with my dealer and BMW at this time as they are claiming "biker riding style issues" and I'm telling them that that is crap as I am very careful with my riding and clutch use.

So you can see my question about the trike conversion. It is something I've been thinking about since I got the LT, but need to know if the extra weight of the trike conversion and pulling a trailer would overstress the clutch?

Any information would be appreciated.

Hanshi
Reading, PA
Current Bikes:
2007 BMW K1200LT (Black)
2008 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic (red)
HF Tag-Along Trailer
Past Bikes:
2004 BMW K1200GT (Grey-Green)
2004 Suzuki Intruder (Black)
post #12 of 14 Old Jan 9th, 2011, 5:30 pm

My Hannigan trike is at 64,000 miles on the original BMW clutch.

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #13 of 14 Old Jan 9th, 2011, 8:51 pm

I've had the trike conversion for 3 years. I converted a 2000 LT that I bought used. Had 62K miles when I bought it, has 79K miles now. Have never had a clutch problem, and do most of my riding two up.

Jerry

BMWMOA # 134919
2000 LT Hannigan Trike
1986 Suzuki TM400 (gone)
1957 BSA 500 cc Twin (long gone)
1955 BSA Golden Flash (longer gone)
1950 or thereabouts HD 165 cc 2 stroke! (gone in 1954)
post #14 of 14 Old Jan 10th, 2011, 9:46 pm

Contacted Hannigan directly on the clutch issue and their reply was that no change to the stock clutch with the trike conversion. They further indicated that they have not had any problems with the clutch.

Hanshi
Reading, PA
Current Bikes:
2007 BMW K1200LT (Black)
2008 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic (red)
HF Tag-Along Trailer
Past Bikes:
2004 BMW K1200GT (Grey-Green)
2004 Suzuki Intruder (Black)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in