Harbor Freight pull behind trailer - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 9:42 am Thread Starter

Harbor Freight pull behind trailer

I had never seen one of these until yesterday when I was in HF picking up a torx set to remove the back of the radio on my LT. The box said it was rated to 45mph but the web site says to 55mph. I don't understand those ratings because the pic shows it being pulled by an SUV and you wouldn't want to just pull this around town. I'm thinking it is just to cover their butts. This looks resonably priced. I think the first thing I would do would be to swap out the bearings.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=66771
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 9:45 am
Gold Supporter

Re: Harbor Freight pull behind trailer

I use the one with the 12" wheels & have pulled it all over Texas & New Mexico at highway speeds with no problems & no bearing failures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyliedave
I had never seen one of these until yesterday when I was in HF picking up a torx set to remove the back of the radio on my LT. The box said it was rated to 45mph but the web site says to 55mph. I don't understand those ratings because the pic shows it being pulled by an SUV and you wouldn't want to just pull this around town. I'm thinking it is just to cover their butts. This looks resonably priced. I think the first thing I would do would be to swap out the bearings.

Jim Davidson
2007 R1200RT
post #3 of 44 Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 1:50 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Yes, I would change out the bearings with some good timkens. Or better yet go look in the classifieds for a really nice one (under other vehicles) that already has them and a swivel coupling and at a better price. (Hint, hint, my ad)

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 44 Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 6:39 pm
Enjoy The Ride

I always have my trailer tires balanced because the trailer companies never do it. I have never understood why they sell you a trailer with no shocks & don't at least balance the tires. Ever wonder why so many trailers blow tires on the Interstates?

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 44 Old Aug 27th, 2009, 5:59 am

I would like to get a set of wheel bearings (spare) for my HF trailer. Should I take one to the local auto parts store or does someone already know the part# for Timkens that fit the trailer?
Thank You
post #6 of 44 Old Aug 27th, 2009, 6:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuster
I would like to get a set of wheel bearings (spare) for my HF trailer. Should I take one to the local auto parts store or does someone already know the part# for Timkens that fit the trailer?
Thank You
It won't take too long to get them in from the parts house if they are not in stock.
My suggestion would be to pull one apart and look at the edge of the race for any part number........if that does not work, take the whole bearing into the parts house with you...................Jim
post #7 of 44 Old Sep 30th, 2009, 10:06 pm

Purchased a HF tag-Along Trailer last Friday and put it together over the weekend. Not a bad rig for the money. Its basically a Piggy Backer trailer without some of the extras and for a lot less cost - especially with a 20% Off coupon!

I replaced the lights with a set of LED lights and am adding a license plate with lights, extra running light bar and a third brake light. Plan on repacking the bearings this weekend. Will be making a cooler rack soon as well. I made one for my hitch so I can carry a cooler or extra items on my bike when I'm not using the trailer. Used it for a recent trip to the finger Lakes in New York for a BMW Rally - it worked great.

Hanshi
Reading, PA
Current Bikes:
2007 BMW K1200LT (Black)
2008 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic (red)
HF Tag-Along Trailer
Past Bikes:
2004 BMW K1200GT (Grey-Green)
2004 Suzuki Intruder (Black)
post #8 of 44 Old Oct 4th, 2009, 9:34 am

I built one of these trailers. I extended the tongue as far as it would go and took out one leaf spring. I covered the trailer with 1/8" aluminum diamond plate and made a cooler rack of aluminum angle iron and flat straps. I put a Sears cartop carrier on it. It pulled fine at 70/75. I sold it to a friend who still pulls it. The 12" wheels would be a better deal. They'd even look better.........

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #9 of 44 Old Oct 4th, 2009, 10:04 am

The HF Tag-Along Trailer is a complete kit trailer much like the Piggy Backer model, It comes with 8" wheels. I looked at changing them out for 12" wheels, but no dice - the axle length will not permit me to do it as the wheel would hit the box. That is why the 12" wheel Piggy Backer XL model is 4+ inches wider that the 8" wheel model.

Completed changing out the lights from stock to LED's and added a LED 3rd Brake Light, LED Running Light Bar (3 lights), License Place Frame and two license plate lights. Now just have to repack the bearings and get it inspected.

Have some additional plans for improvement. I want to install some cargo netting and also rug or a rubber matting in the interior as well as make a cooler rack for the front. Some fun projects to do over the colder months to have it ready for the next camping season. I will probable have some other improvements as well - only time will tell.

Overall, the unit seems to be a good value for the $. At $399 list and with a 20% discount from one of their coupons in Motor Cyclist Magazine - its hard to beat!

Hanshi
Reading, PA
Current Bikes:
2007 BMW K1200LT (Black)
HF Tag-Along Trailer
Past Bikes:
post #10 of 44 Old Oct 4th, 2009, 12:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
Yes, I would change out the bearings with some good timkens. Or better yet go look in the classifieds for a really nice one (under other vehicles) that already has them and a swivel coupling and at a better price. (Hint, hint, my ad)
John, if I lived closer, and had a hitch, I'd buy yours in a heart beat.
You've already done everything necessary to it. Next year is going to be a break out year for me & my SO for traveling on the LT. Colored in my triplog map a little bit this year, but next year it will change a lot, as I 'believe' my wife if going to retire from school teaching. Couldn't make CCR because of her schedule, but we are already talking about making it to Vermont. No way was she going to let me go to something like that by myself.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #11 of 44 Old Oct 4th, 2009, 2:02 pm

3 yrs ago i got my harbor freight trailer for 139$,,,found a sears cartop carrier on e-bay for 99$,, it does have 8" tires,,,i took a leaf spring out and i run 20 lbs of tire pressure,, i never had a problem towing it at 70-75 mph even in the rain
post #12 of 44 Old Jul 31st, 2010, 1:39 am

Garage
Talking Re: Harbor Freight pull behind trailer

Love the HF Tag-a-long!

I purchased mine with the perfect storm coupon, plus discounted price. Kit was a breeze to assemble (1 1/2 hours, including packing the bearings). Coupled this with a DMC trailer hitch and it works flawlessly.

I had to purchase a convertor ($18 from the local trailer store) to convert the 5 pin round to 4 pin flat connector.

I live in Michigan and have pulled the trailer on vacation this year. I am currently in Laramie, WY and plan to travel through Tulsa on the way home.

I am sold on the trailer. It pulls like a dream and doesn't affect the performance of the bike at all.

The ease of storing your gear makes it worth every penny.

Hope this helps.

H. Keith Murray

Troy, Michigan 48085
IBA #48803
MOA / TCD

2016 BMW R1200 GS Adventure - White (Thumper)
SOLD - 2014 BMW R1200RT - Quartz Blue (RockeT)
SOLD - 2007 Honda GL1800 ABS/Nav - Platinum (RV)
SOLD - 2014 Yamaha FZ09 - Volunteer Orange (Vol)
SOLD - 2002 K1200LT - Pacific Blue (Slick)
SOLD - 2005 HD Road King Classic - Chopper Blue & Sunglo Blue (Boss)
SOLD - 2001 Kawasaki Concours - Sonic Blue (Conc)
SOLD - 2001 Kawasaki ZXR1200R - Team Green (Zip)
post #13 of 44 Old Jul 31st, 2010, 8:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyliedave

I have the PiggyBacker XL version http://www.piggybacker.com/
with 12" tires torsion suspension and the cooler mount (VERY IMPORTANT TO US!) spare set of bearings and spare tire. They have incredible customer service +++!
But the most important thing is the longer tongue length for your safety when pulled behind a bike.
BTW whatever brand you get I suggest having the base of the carrier reinforced with fiberglass before you assemble it. It will crack and when they sent me a free replacement this solved the problem.
BTW be sure you have some type of strap to prevent the top from flying open, has not happened to me but....
We have 40k miles on the Piggy now with no issues.

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

post #14 of 44 Old Jul 31st, 2010, 8:32 am

For those of you that are about to "discover" trailer towing,
congratulations, check out the motorcycle trailer towing forum.

I've been doing it for a few years and it has really added to the pleasure of long distance traveling for us.

I was a little resistant at first but my wife shamed me into it when she "insisted" that I bring along her favorite pillow,
the embarrassment of having a pillow strapped to my top box "convinced" me.

Like Joe said "the cooler" is one of the most welcome and important accessories,
not only can it save you money by keeping you out of restaurants,
but it adds so mush to the trip.

I can remember (with fondness) each and every one of the "side of the road" picnics,
we've been on, can't say that about restaurants.

Oh yeah, I've always carried a spare set of wheel bearings!

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #15 of 44 Old Jul 31st, 2010, 8:51 am

Thumbs up Re: Harbor Freight pull behind trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo

I was a little resistant at first but my wife shamed me into it when she "insisted" that I bring along her favorite pillow,
the embarrassment of having a pillow strapped to my top box "convinced" me.

Like Joe said "the cooler" is one of the most welcome and important accessories....

I can remember (with fondness) each and every one of the "side of the road" picnics,
we've been on, can't say that about restaurants.!
You know Hans, I remember many years back your wife convincing my wife into a trailer!!! I am happy she did.
But practically speaking, my guess (I determined) it's better to pull a properly loaded trailer than to overload the bikes suspension with rear & top carriers, gear COFFEE POTS and such, what say you?
When we find a place to stay a few days, the trailer unhooks real easy!!
BTW I can pull it behind my truck for small load needs.,

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

post #16 of 44 Old Jul 31st, 2010, 9:13 am

Put a HF trailer together this last spring. Had to cut it down 4 inches in width, then the car top carrier. (similar to the one RonKMiller built, but have not finished ghettoing it up yet).......have used it behind the bike about every Sunday morning to to run to Pinedale and bring home 40 and 50 lbs bags of critter feeds...............Had it up to 105 in the rain and have had not one problem........those Chicom bearings concern me some but I have not had any heat problems at all so far...........Figure the stress testing won't start till this fall............
post #17 of 44 Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 9:22 pm

[QUOTE=hkeithmurray]Love the HF Tag-a-long!

Hello hkeithmurray:

Second your feelings on the HF Tag-Along Trailer. I had it our for the first time today and the only problems I had with it was trying to learn how to back it up!

I did have problems with the wiring and after trying two converters, I gave up and went with straight 5 pin set up and installed a separate brake light. Now everything works. Got a weight slip on it today at a local truck business and will now take it to a mechanic to complete the paperwork for the trailer tag.

Plan my first trip with the trailer over Labor Day weekend.

Hanshi
Reading, PA
Current Bikes:
2007 BMW K1200LT (Black)
HF Tag-Along Trailer
Past Bikes:
post #18 of 44 Old Aug 9th, 2010, 9:19 pm

Update - trailer passed the inspection and now I just have to wait on PennDOT to receive my license plate and title.

Had a problem with the Gas Springs to keep the lid open. Both of mine have failed and in fact one is leaking oil. I had to order two replacements - will take 7 weeks to get them. Otherwise the trailer is OK.

Has anyone out there replaced the lock? Any how about some ideas on a better way to secure the lid hatches which seem that they could come loose during a trip.

Hanshi
Reading, PA
Current Bikes:
2007 BMW K1200LT (Black)
HF Tag-Along Trailer
Past Bikes:
post #19 of 44 Old Aug 9th, 2010, 9:57 pm

Hanshi...
get a stick to hold up the top deck until you get new rams.

Another option is to get some PVC large enough to go around the ram rod, then cut a groove in it and snap over the rod... if the pvc is long enough it will support the lid.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #20 of 44 Old Aug 9th, 2010, 10:48 pm

Yes, I'm using a stick at this time. Also, thanks for the idea about the pvc.

Hanshi
Reading, PA
Current Bikes:
2007 BMW K1200LT (Black)
HF Tag-Along Trailer
Past Bikes:
post #21 of 44 Old Aug 18th, 2010, 11:00 am

[QUOTE=Hanshi]

Have some additional plans for improvement. I want to install some cargo netting and also rug or a rubber matting in the interior as well as make a cooler rack for the front. /QUOTE]

I think you'll find that cargo netting - while an excellent idea - just isn't strong enough to keep things firmly in place, and the elastic will last about one year before failing. I used nylon straps with quick release plastic buckles instead so you can cinch stuff down tight. If you have to make a quick maneuver to avoid something you won't get the "dead blow hammer" effect.

You may also want to consider installing the cooler rack inside your box. Why?

It doesn't require a separate cover.

It keeps a heavy item centered over your axle which is critical for handling.

It keeps it whistle clean.

It stays cold much longer since it's not in the sun and getting blasted with hot, 70 mph wind. I hate warm beer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer packed.jpg
Views:	1994
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	28400   Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer 9.jpg
Views:	1178
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	28401  

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Aug 18th, 2010 at 11:07 am.
post #22 of 44 Old Aug 18th, 2010, 1:23 pm

I called a friend of mine yesterday and attempted to turn him onto the HF tag along. He rides a wing and does a lot of two up riding. He wasn't interested. He is talking about buying a fiberglass one for 5k. I can't see it. For the money you can't beat it. If I didn't already have a trailer. I'll be on this one "like a fat baby is to cake".

Michael Dale
post #23 of 44 Old Aug 19th, 2010, 7:08 am

I never thought I'd get a trailer for the KLT.....
I ordered a Dauntless hitch so I could put a low center of gravity rack off the back and then in a moment of maddness I ordered one of these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/1090-lb...res-90153.html

I liked the idea of the 12" wheels versus the 8", and I already have a car top carrier to put on it so I decided against the HF Tag Along trailer that was discussed at the start of this thread.

I have also ordered a swivel hitch coupler from the Dauntless folks. From what I have read, I'll probably want to lengthen the tongue to improve tracking.

QUESTION: Is anyone else towing this trailer? Your observations and suggestions would be appreciated. (Please don't suggest a different unit 'cause I already completed the order )

If I don't really like pulling the trailer with the bike, I'll find some other use for it, and it seemed a fairly inexpensive way to try trailering, so I'm in.

This will be a project and expect I'll post my progress and experiences as I progress.

Thanks,
post #24 of 44 Old Aug 19th, 2010, 1:08 pm
Lifetime Supporter

The trailer looks pretty good. I didn't see the unladen weight. Anyone know?
post #25 of 44 Old Aug 19th, 2010, 4:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahabit
The trailer looks pretty good. I didn't see the unladen weight. Anyone know?
Which trailer are you referring to?
post #26 of 44 Old Aug 19th, 2010, 4:41 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
Which trailer are you referring to?

Oh, sorry. The 1090 lb cap trailer
post #27 of 44 Old Aug 19th, 2010, 6:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahabit
Oh, sorry. The 1090 lb cap trailer
I couldn't find the weight on the Harbor Freight site but NorthernTool has was appears to be the identical trailer listed as having a shipping weight of 140 lbs. Seems kind of light to me, but maybe?

NorthernTool sells the trailer cheaper but charges more for shipping so it's pretty much a wash.

The frame dimenensions are not far off those of some of the larger custom motorcycle trailers. The trailer is a few inches wider than the PiggyBackerXL but not much wider. I figure it is built no heavier than it needs to be, and if I don't dress it up too much with unneeded stuff its weight will be pretty comparable to similiarly sized trailers out there.
post #28 of 44 Old Aug 20th, 2010, 10:59 am

Quote:
I never thought I'd get a trailer for the KLT.....
I ordered a Dauntless hitch so I could put a low center of gravity rack off the back and then in a moment of maddness I ordered one of these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/1090-lb...res-90153.html

I liked the idea of the 12" wheels versus the 8", and I already have a car top carrier to put on it so I decided against the HF Tag Along trailer that was discussed at the start of this thread.

I have also ordered a swivel hitch coupler from the Dauntless folks. From what I have read, I'll probably want to lengthen the tongue to improve tracking.

QUESTION: Is anyone else towing this trailer? Your observations and suggestions would be appreciated. (Please don't suggest a different unit 'cause I already completed the order )

If I don't really like pulling the trailer with the bike, I'll find some other use for it, and it seemed a fairly inexpensive way to try trailering, so I'm in.

This will be a project and expect I'll post my progress and experiences as I progress.

Thanks,
That's the same trailer that I modded, except mine has 8" wheels. Instead of lengthening the tongue I just repositioned it to the front with gussets on both sides. I've towed it up to 90mph with no issues. Instead of bolting it together I welded everything but squared it up to within 1/16 inch...

More details of my build start on page 7, here:

Pictures by RonKMiller - Photobucket

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #29 of 44 Old Aug 20th, 2010, 7:45 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
I couldn't find the weight on the Harbor Freight site but NorthernTool has was appears to be the identical trailer listed as having a shipping weight of 140 lbs. Seems kind of light to me, but maybe? .
My Bushtec Turbo + 2 only weights 125 Lbs empty. By the time you add the box to it you are looking at 175 to 200 Lbs. Still not a lot of weight, just make sure you keep the tongue weight below 35 lbs for better handling (as per Bushtec)

Stevie Shreeve
post #30 of 44 Old Aug 21st, 2010, 4:54 pm

Re: Harbor Freight pull behind trailer - project completed

My HF Pull Behind Trailer Project is complete, inspected, titled and tagged and ready to go!

The unloaded weight came in at a little over 120 lbs.

The project included the following:
- removed 2nd spring - only using one spring
- replaced lights with LED lighting
- added 3rd brake LED light
- added rear running lights
- added license plate lights
- wired trailer using converter to match 5 pin plug on bile
- build cooler rack for front
- painted wheels silver to match bike (will also add BMW Roundel logos to hubs)
- installed HD luggage rack on top
- added pin striping
- added chrome accents on lid and splash guards
- installed rubber carpeting in bottom of cargo area
- installed cargo net
- added BMW Roundel at rear
- using a Dauntless Hitch on bike

Have had trailer out and am happy with the way it handles. First big trip to be over Labor Day weekend - can not wait.

Some photos of the finished product are attached.

Thanks to many of the members of this digest who provided advice and great ideas.

Yes I ended putting some extra money into the project to give it the look I wanted, but with everything it still came in under $500 - a lot better than 2-5 thousand for a name brand trailer. For the limited amount of time that I will be using it, this HF Trailer should do the job.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CBH Trailer Front.JPG
Views:	13032
Size:	240.2 KB
ID:	28416   Click image for larger version

Name:	CBH Trailer - Side.JPG
Views:	13133
Size:	253.6 KB
ID:	28417   Click image for larger version

Name:	CBH Trailer - Rear.JPG
Views:	4359
Size:	254.6 KB
ID:	28418   Click image for larger version

Name:	CBH Trailer - Interior.JPG
Views:	3894
Size:	267.5 KB
ID:	28419   Click image for larger version

Name:	CBH Trailer - Cooler Rack.JPG
Views:	6885
Size:	280.4 KB
ID:	28420  

Name:	CBH Trailer - Rack.JPG
Views:	1714
Size:	234.2 KB
ID:	28421   Click image for larger version

Name:	CBH Hitch.JPG
Views:	1976
Size:	232.1 KB
ID:	28422  

Hanshi
Reading, PA
Current Bikes:
2007 BMW K1200LT (Black)
HF Tag-Along Trailer
Past Bikes:
post #31 of 44 Old Aug 21st, 2010, 5:01 pm

I really appreciate seeing your pics and Ron's pics, great looking trailers, both.
Mine will be much more un-embellished.

But the ideas you have provided are really helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanshi
My HF Pull Behind Trailer Project is complete, inspected, titled and tagged and ready to go!

- added pin striping
- installed cargo net

Have had trailer out and am happy with the way it handles. First big trip to be over Labor Day weekend - can not wait.

Thanks to many of the members of this digest who provided advice and great ideas.

Yes I ended putting some extra money into the project to give it the look I wanted, but with everything it still came in under $500 - a lot better than 2-5 thousand for a name brand trailer. For the limited amount of time that I will be using it, this HF Trailer should do the job.
post #32 of 44 Old Sep 8th, 2010, 7:15 pm

Thanks to all who have posted comments and suggestions about trailering.

I put about 500 miles on my Harbor Freight trailer past two days.
The only modification I made was to remove two of three of the leaf springs.
I used a carpenter's square to try and square the frame members as much as possible during bolt up. Other than that it is stock.
A sheet of 1/4 plywood bolted on to make a deck. I wouldn't have done that but my car top carrier didn't line up with the frame members so a deck was needed. The car top carrier is just strapped down to the trailer frame with the same straps designed to put it on a car roof.

The trailer tows well enough, although this is the first time I've ever towed with a bike so I have nothing to compare it to. Empty trailer in the twisties, (I ride kind of fast) it is pretty innocuous. With a load of camping gear the trailer definitely affects handling (so much for "I don't even know it's there.") Exactly what it does to handling, I'm not quite ready to describe, still figuring it out, but there is a effect. I do wonder what effect longer drawbar would have.

On the highway, even up to 75-80 the trailer tracks solidly, not even bothered by the the slipstream of tractor trailers when passing or being passed.

Interesting damage to the hitch ball when I removed the trailer. Chrome is abraded off the ball on both sides, toward the front of the ball. I have ordered a swivel from the Dauntless folks but it is not installed yet. I wonder if that will resolve the problem with damage to the ball.

Has anyone seen hitch ball damage like this before? Again, this after only about 500 miles.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Trailer 001.jpg
Views:	1856
Size:	345.9 KB
ID:	28787   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer 004.jpg
Views:	954
Size:	301.0 KB
ID:	28788   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer 005.jpg
Views:	888
Size:	287.9 KB
ID:	28789  
post #33 of 44 Old Sep 8th, 2010, 7:23 pm

Smile Re: Harbor Freight pull behind trailer

my hitch looks similar, 10 k miles on the trailer by the time I get back from Canada, I am not really concerned It pulls great as usual.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

post #34 of 44 Old Sep 8th, 2010, 8:14 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

You did grease the ball right? I pulled one of those all the way to California and back after CCR Midway. The only issue I had in the twisties was I could feel the trailer "push" in the turns if I was a little hot and had to brake.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #35 of 44 Old Sep 8th, 2010, 8:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
You did grease the ball right? I pulled one of those all the way to California and back after CCR Midway. The only issue I had in the twisties was I could feel the trailer "push" in the turns if I was a little hot and had to brake.
No, I didn't grease the ball. You know, I have plenty of grease and have greased just about everything under the sun, but I've never greased a hitch ball. I tow some pretty heavy stuff, like a Woodmizer sawmill, but never towed great distances or at speed.
Grease does make sense, just have never done it.
Still, I've not seen this on a ball before. I'm speculating that the absence of a swivel, the "fit" of the coupler to the ball, and a weak chrome job on the ball all may have contributed to the abrasion on the ball. I agree grease would have reduced or even prevented it.

Yeah, the "push" in the twisties is part of the effect I noticed. Going slow the trailer is almost unnoticable, but at faster speeds and more aggressive riding, slowing into a turn and then accelerating out of the turn, the trailer does do a push-pull thing that changes the dynamic.
post #36 of 44 Old Sep 9th, 2010, 7:09 pm

Well came back from our first long trip with the HF Tag-Along Trailer - it worked great. It handled like it was not there. Having the trailer allowed us to take some additional items for our trip to the BMW Finger Lakes Rally - we camped out like a king and queen - really made the weekend enjoyable - best purchase I ever made.

Followed behind a LT pulling a Bushtec trailer and was surprised as it shifted from one side to the other. I looked back at my trailer and it tracked true. The poor guy must not have had it loaded correctly, as normally these track true.

Hanshi
Reading, PA
Current Bikes:
2007 BMW K1200LT (Black)
HF Tag-Along Trailer
Past Bikes:
post #37 of 44 Old Sep 10th, 2010, 11:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
Instead of lengthening the tongue I just repositioned it to the front with gussets on both sides. I've towed it up to 90mph with no issues. Instead of bolting it together I welded everything but squared it up to within 1/16 inch...

More details of my build start on page 7, here:

Pictures by RonKMiller - Photobucket
Ron, do you have a pic of the gusset plates on the bike? Seems like a lot easier than extending the tongue.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #38 of 44 Old Sep 10th, 2010, 9:26 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Followed behind a LT pulling a Bushtec trailer and was surprised as it shifted from one side to the other. I looked back at my trailer and it tracked true. The poor guy must not have had it loaded correctly, as normally these track true.
I have pulled both. HF- 6,000+ miles (one trip); Bushtec - 2,000 miles. The biggest thing I noticed was the surge I felt with the HF every time I hit a bump. That was totally gone with the Bushtec. Must have a lot to do with the trailers suspention. I never noticed any shifting on either trailer.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #39 of 44 Old Apr 9th, 2011, 11:55 pm

Garage

I built the same trailer and pulled around the country last year. Loved it!

I want to add some additional lights to the back, but have been unable to find the LED strip light (like yours). Could you let me know where you found it?

Also, how did you route the wiring from the lid to the taillights? I couldn't tell from the pic.

Nice job!

H. Keith Murray

Troy, Michigan 48085
IBA #48803
MOA / TCD

2016 BMW R1200 GS Adventure - White (Thumper)
SOLD - 2014 BMW R1200RT - Quartz Blue (RockeT)
SOLD - 2007 Honda GL1800 ABS/Nav - Platinum (RV)
SOLD - 2014 Yamaha FZ09 - Volunteer Orange (Vol)
SOLD - 2002 K1200LT - Pacific Blue (Slick)
SOLD - 2005 HD Road King Classic - Chopper Blue & Sunglo Blue (Boss)
SOLD - 2001 Kawasaki Concours - Sonic Blue (Conc)
SOLD - 2001 Kawasaki ZXR1200R - Team Green (Zip)
post #40 of 44 Old Apr 10th, 2011, 10:07 am

Hello:

I purchased the LED third Brake Light from Command Electronics, Inc., 15670 Morris Industrial Drive, Schoolcraft, MI 49087. Ph: 269-679-4001. the item # was 003-82, Surface LED Third Brake Light. The price was $29.99.

I have also used LED Lighting from Radiantz.com for flexible array LED lighting on my previous bike (top case as third brake light).

I ran the wires along the inside of the top and held them in place with black duct tape (that is why you could not see them in the photos). I left a little extra at the hinge area to permit the top to open fully and not stretch the wires.

Glad you liked the trailer.

I just purchased a swivel coupler recently and need to install it. also plan to change out the wheels for from the 8" tires to 10" tires (lower profile and wider). HOpe to give it a more "Road House Trailer" look.

Take care and enjoy your trailer.

Hanshi
Reading, PA
Current Bikes:
2007 BMW K1200LT (Black)
HF Tag-Along Trailer
Past Bikes:
post #41 of 44 Old Apr 10th, 2011, 10:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razmataz
Ron, do you have a pic of the gusset plates on the bike? Seems like a lot easier than extending the tongue.
No pictures and my trailer is stored at my barn or I would run out and shoot some.

They're just simple 3" triangular pieces of 1/4" thick metal welded into the front frame member and both sides of the tongue. The tongue is also welded top and bottom.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #42 of 44 Old Apr 10th, 2011, 10:30 am

Quote:

- added pin striping
- installed cargo net

NICE!

Just one word of caution - don't put anything heavy on that rack or it may crack the lid from constant bouncing up and down. I store my 2 bulky sleeping bag pads up there.

It looks like you didn't go with the shocks - don't be afraid to run your tires at 15 psi, the sidewalls are more than stiff enough to support the weight, and it will smooth the ride.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #43 of 44 Old Apr 10th, 2011, 4:03 pm

Thanks Ron:

It was my viewing photos of your trailer project that gave me the idea to try one myself. I really liked the way your trailer looked and I tried to use many of the ideas for my project. I was lucky my bike is black so I did not have to deal with repainting to match.

You are correct on just keeping light weight items on the luggage rack. I actually put it on more for looks and to keep our rain gear in easy reach (not much weight there).

Used the trailer on a couple of trips last year and it worked great. I am looking forward to a couple of trips this summer / fall as well with the unit.

Hanshi
Reading, PA
Current Bikes:
2007 BMW K1200LT (Black)
HF Tag-Along Trailer
Past Bikes:
post #44 of 44 Old Apr 10th, 2011, 6:50 pm

Quote:
If the Bushtec trailer was moving from side to side he most likely didn't have enough tongue weight,
a ten pound bag of ice and a stocked cooler is usually enough
if most of the heavy stuff in the trailer is centered over the wheels,

I don't know how many miles I've got pulling a Bushtec, probably close to a hundred K
after I learned how to distribute the load I've never had mine "wiggle"
except for once when I had a loose wheel,
a couple of flats on the axle nut and some locktite cured that.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in