bushtec hitch and trailer - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Jul 20th, 2009, 1:17 am Thread Starter

Cool bushtec hitch and trailer

i am intrested in purchasing trailer i have noticed bushtec hitch is twice the price of
the hitch doctors, anyone explain why ?
another thing the overall length with trailer attached looks looks v long
can u get a closer coupled one or is that how they all are
the trailer i like looks about 4ft x 3ft would that be an average size
to get camping equipment in
sure would appreciate any feedback
cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Jul 20th, 2009, 6:07 am

Re: bushtec hitch and trailer

The Bushtech set-up is the way to go. The trailer has plenty of capacity and I can forget its back there. My last trip to the mountains was 4 days on the Cherolaha, Blue Ridge and The Dragon. Not 1 bike passed me. My point is, the Bushtech will allow you to ride your ride. In contrast, I took a trip out west with a conventional trailer ( fiberglass shell, solid axle , std ball hitch). I had to be very careful loading the trailer to get the weight distrubited so the trailer would not weave. Then the darn thing pushed me through corners and required 30% of my concentration. When I got to Vegas, I sold it to a guy at Jack In The Box for the money he had in his pocket. I hated that thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Z3100832.JPG
Views:	1139
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	23808  

If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand--Milton Friedman

Last edited by Yamadog; Jul 20th, 2009 at 6:19 am.
post #3 of 19 Old Jul 20th, 2009, 6:39 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Can not tell you why the Bushtec hitch cost more then the Hitch Doc one but..... I can tell you the Bushtec hitch is very well made & heavy duty. I have pulled my Bushtec for over 10,000 miles and you never know it's back there. I would not pull anything else with a bike.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P8290364.JPG
Views:	2205
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	23810  

Stevie Shreeve

post #4 of 19 Old Jul 20th, 2009, 11:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlakesbikers
i have noticed bushtec hitch is twice the price of the hitch doctors, anyone explain why ?
I'm gonna say: because it's worth it!
I'm another rider of the opinion that Bushtec makes an excellent product.

The length of a trailers tongue is the secret to it's handling,
I had a utility trailer I pulled behind my truck with a short tongue, it was one of the most difficult things to back up that I've ever owned, traded it for one that had a foot longer tongue and it handles like a dream.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	our pictures 026 (Medium).jpg
Views:	333
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	23813  

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #5 of 19 Old Jul 20th, 2009, 5:19 pm

Assessed all the trailers that were available; selected the Bushtec Quantum.
Five years, over 15,000 miles pulling the trailer.
Loves the twisties.....

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/Orde...90011&po=11&c=

Series of 9 pictures pulling my Bushtec Quantum on the Dragon.

The heim joint that rotates 360 degrees keeps the trailer flat on the ground when the bike is leaned over (see pictures 8 and 9).
The independent air shock suspension keep the tires planted; one tire doesn't affect the other on uneven surfaces.

Been well worth the money and the service is terrific.
post #6 of 19 Old Jul 20th, 2009, 7:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
Can not tell you why the Bushtec hitch cost more then the Hitch Doc one but..... I can tell you the Bushtec hitch is very well made & heavy duty. I have pulled my Bushtec for over 10,000 miles and you never know it's back there. I would not pull anything else with a bike.

Your trailer's color does not match your bike's color. What effect does it have on your gas mileage?

I gotta get me one of those trailers.

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #7 of 19 Old Jul 20th, 2009, 7:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacolt
Your trailer's color does not match your bike's color. What effect does it have on your gas mileage?

I gotta get me one of those trailers.
Hey it matches any bike I pull it with.

Stevie Shreeve
post #8 of 19 Old Jul 20th, 2009, 8:46 pm

Quote:
i am intrested in purchasing trailer i have noticed bushtec hitch is twice the price of
the hitch doctors, anyone explain why ?
another thing the overall length with trailer attached looks looks v long
can u get a closer coupled one or is that how they all are
the trailer i like looks about 4ft x 3ft would that be an average size
to get camping equipment in
sure would appreciate any feedback
cheers
Noting but POSITIVE feedback for Bushtec and the Bustech hitch system. Did 4300 miles in two weeks and never missed a beat!
You get what you pay for!

2003 Black
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
K1200LTC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Garmin 450
XM Radio
Video Camera Mount
Fender Mount Driving Lights
Autocom Super Pro AVi
Saddlebag LED Lights

Bakup Backrest
Grip Puppies
VStream Windscreen
Muth Mirrors
2008 Bushtec

post #9 of 19 Old Jul 21st, 2009, 8:47 am

I'll rave about the Bushtech some more:
My first time pulling it was scary because several times during the day...say as I was applying throttle through the apex...I could not 'feel' the trailer and thought I had somehow lost it. Well after exiting the corner I looked back and...there it was! This happened several times that day. Also, Bushtech customer service is great. I called them to make sure I had set up the suspension correctly for the load and they were extremely helpful. I was the second owner and needed some coaching. It was Sat morning and ...even though I had an owners manual... they walked me through the set up. This enhanced my confidence which as you all know is key !

If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand--Milton Friedman
post #10 of 19 Old Jul 21st, 2009, 10:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacolt
Your trailer's color does not match your bike's color.
I think it looks great, it certainly is visible.

It takes a few bikes and trailers before you can get the color combo.

Here's a few of mine.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	our pictures 661 (Medium).jpg
Views:	556
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	23826   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0009.JPG
Views:	605
Size:	654.3 KB
ID:	23827   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0256.JPG
Views:	541
Size:	334.2 KB
ID:	23828   Click image for larger version

Name:	2ndchip (464).JPG
Views:	418
Size:	330.0 KB
ID:	23829  

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer

post #11 of 19 Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 11:53 am Thread Starter

thanks guys you have been a huge help they look real nice trailers to say the least
the bushctec hitch appears to run along side of bike and attaches near the engine
unless i am mistaken,
how much cost is the hitch and the trailer brand new

post #12 of 19 Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 4:12 pm
Just ridin'

Quote:
thanks guys you have been a huge help they look real nice trailers to say the least
the bushctec hitch appears to run along side of bike and attaches near the engine
unless i am mistaken,
how much cost is the hitch and the trailer brand new

The central attachment of the Bushtec hitch is what makes it so good. Most of the inertial loading of the trailer is centered on the bike This could make it a lot more manageable during hard braking. It seems to me that Bushtec was selling the hitch with a lighting isolator for around $300-400. The trailers run from $1500-4000+ depending on paint and options.

You can contact them for the current pricing. www.bushtec.com

We also have one (without the isolator) in the silent auction for this year's Reunion

http://www.curvecowboyreunion.com/CCR2009/donors.php

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #13 of 19 Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 7:37 pm

I've never understood the price differential either - they're they exact same design and I've been 100% satisfied with my Hitch Doc EXCEPT:

When I first installed it there was a "mushy" feel, every bump seemed to be magnified in my LT's frame - and it seemed to wiggle when I would hit bumps in corners.

I tack welded the two X crossbars that are part of the mounting system right at the center of the "X" - it is now as solid as a ROCK.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #14 of 19 Old Jan 19th, 2010, 9:48 pm

I know I'm late for this post, but always a lot of good advise here...I'm looking and would like to add a trailer. From what I hear and see I like the Bushtec trailers. Here are my questions:

* Quantum vs. Turbo +2 behind the LT (07) Is it just individual preference or cost?
* The Turbo is a little lower and a few less lbs. same gross wt. and 1CF less total capacity.
* Any special maintenance concerns and is maint easy (wheel bearings etc)?
* Is it worth buying new or looking used

Thanks

Just my 2 cents, but the white trailer is very visible and cheaper than a custom color match
post #15 of 19 Old Jan 20th, 2010, 7:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwkraft
I know I'm late for this post, but always a lot of good advise here...I'm looking and would like to add a trailer. From what I hear and see I like the Bushtec trailers. Here are my questions:

* Quantum vs. Turbo +2 behind the LT (07) Is it just individual preference or cost?
* The Turbo is a little lower and a few less lbs. same gross wt. and 1CF less total capacity.
* Any special maintenance concerns and is maint easy (wheel bearings etc)?
* Is it worth buying new or looking used

Thanks

Just my 2 cents, but the white trailer is very visible and cheaper than a custom color match
Quantum vs. Turbo +2 ?
That's a matter of what "YOU" think looks better.

Any special maintenance concerns and is maint easy (wheel bearings etc)?
The bearings are sealed, you just have to check that the roll smooth. A few drop of a special lube that comes with the trailer on the suspension bushings every 2500 miles is all you need to do.
I have about 20,000 trouble free miles on my Turbo 2

Just my 2 cents, but the white trailer is very visible
That is the main reason I have not painted it .

Stevie Shreeve
post #16 of 19 Old Jan 20th, 2010, 6:55 pm

I have over 70000 miles pulling a bushtec(2 different ones) The first one a Roadstar 30000 miles and sold it for what I paid for it, another good selling point excellant resale. 40000 miles on current Quantum. They pull great but don't believe you don't know they are back there. You WILL notice it when you take off and you have to be carefull because the bike will NOT stop as well and it can be a issue in a panic situation.(wet roads will make you a believer in ABS with a trailer). I am not talking about normal braking but SHTF stuff.
Normal riding it does not affect handling too bad as long as you realize you are pulling a loaded trailer.
Great suspenison but that is my only complaint with a Bushtec the air suspenison.
If you are on Vacation and pulling the same load all the time it works great. But if loads are different alot it is a pain to adjust the suspenision for different loads. We use ours for errands and local running around like getting grocries and the trailer is empty for half the trip and loaded on the way home, we try to set suspenison so the camber is not to far off empty and doesn't bottom out on way home. Looking to mount a air compresser on trailer with a remote switch on bike. Still trying to figure out how to dump air remotely.

If you are just going to use on vacations or pull with same loads all the time. Bushtec is the one you want.
If you are pulling different loads you might want to look into a trailer with fixed suspenison.
Hannigans has one of the best fixed suspenison trailers. Good reviews on how well it pulls.
Good luck and enjoy the trailer whatever you get.

Paul Francis
Taswell Indiana

2005 R1200GS
2008 Can Am Spyder
post #17 of 19 Old Jan 20th, 2010, 7:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwkraft
..I'm looking and would like to add a trailer. From what I hear and see I like the Bushtec trailers.
Take a look here for a lot of good advice,
also the Goldwing forums is a good place to find used trailers.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer

post #18 of 19 Old Jan 20th, 2010, 7:12 pm

Take a look at Dauntless hitch for the K1200 LT. http://www.dauntlessmotors.com/hitch...00lt_hitch.htm
By the way, I have owned a Bushtec for about 5 yrs and have taken many road trips. I think it is in the top two.
Good luck!
Gary

garyw
BMW MOA #156791

"09" K1200 LT

"03" GL1800

Last edited by gwpdx; Jan 20th, 2010 at 7:13 pm. Reason: add additional info
post #19 of 19 Old Jan 21st, 2010, 9:08 pm

Thanks for all of the feedback. I'll post what I end up with if I spend the $$$$. Lots of knowledge here. I want to learn how to do more maintenance myself. After 36K I don't want to rely on the dealer...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in