Kendon Cycle Trailers - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jul 6th, 2009, 8:05 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Kendon Cycle Trailers

I have a Kendon single rail fold-up trailer which overall I like very much. The original owner never installed a spare tire and wheel so I did. I got a little over 1000 miles on it before the mounting bracket broke loose at 45 MPH. This caused the spare to be pushed along the pavement by the axle, quickly grinding off the sidewall into the tire cords and ruining the tire as well as gouging the chrome on the wheel when the bracket hit it. I'm lucky. I expect that if the tire had blown out it would have rolled under and vaulted my loaded trailer a couple of feet into the air. I also had my Yamaha in the truck bed so the chances of maintaining control were probably pretty slim.

So if you have a Kendon trailer I suggest you inspect the spare tire mounting bracket closely. Mine was only welded on one side. It must be a Monday trailer. I'm going to see if Kendon will step up to the plate and replace the spare tire and wheel. I'll let you know what happens.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jul 6th, 2009, 8:56 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Kendon Cycle Trailers

I have a TowBlazer trailer ( I'm told after the fact that it is a knockoff of a Kendon ) looks identical. I recently towed my Lt to N.M., & back to Atlanta about 4500 miles stopping in Iola, KS. (home town). somewhere in Tn. the right fender took leave of the trailer & the right fender cracked as pictured. Of coarse no one to complain to so went to Kendon & ordered replacement fenders. Bottom line being if you have a trailer with a Dexter axle & this type fender check often.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1249.JPG
Views:	313
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	23647   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1250.JPG
Views:	389
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	23648  
post #3 of 5 Old Jul 6th, 2009, 10:08 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

I have noticed that the fenders take a pretty good beating due to the axle design. I just got off the phone with Kendon and initial indications are that they will take care of me on this. Then again all I'm asking for is a new tire and wheel which I think is a very reasonable request.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 Old Jul 6th, 2009, 11:59 am
Lifetime Supporter

Second thoughts, the fender issue is not caused by wheel balance but fender flutter at high speeds, the newer fenders are braced differently amd will not fit the older axle mount.
My biggest complaint is loading & un-loading , trailer height makes loading difficult, the video shows your average guy pushing a bike up the ramp & warns not to ride up. Did not take long to find the Lt cannot be pushed up anything! Riding up can be pretty exciting since the bike bottoms out on the transition from ramp to trailer so must find a curb or ramp to reduce the ramp angle.
On a positive note the trailer tracks nice & it's easy to forget it's there, leading to higher speeds inducing more fender flutter.
post #5 of 5 Old Jul 6th, 2009, 12:53 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Smile Re: Kendon Cycle Trailers

I am pleasantly surprised. Kendon has agreed to ship me a new spare tire assembly and mounting bracket at no cost. So a tip of the hat to Kendon and my personal recommendation to consider their trailers if you are in the market.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in