Homemade cargo Rack - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Jul 5th, 2009, 5:49 pm Thread Starter

Wink Homemade cargo Rack

Made myself a cargo rack today that fits into my dauntless receiver hitch. I thought the dauntless cargo rack was over-priced (at $200), so I built my own for about $70 in materials...and that included a rubbermaid tote bin, and I've got a bit of pipe left over.

All materials from my local home improvement center (Menards).
  • 12"x24" piece of 0.100 thk Aluminum Diamond plate
  • Two 36" pieces of 1" x 1" aluminum angle iron
  • 10' stick of 3/4" M (the thick stuff) copper pipe
  • 2 pieces of 6" long 3/4" dia. black pipe
  • assorted copper fittings
  • 3/16" rivets
  • couple of 1" diameter O-rings
  • two lynch pins
  • primer and paint
My rack sits a bit lower than the Dauntless cargo rack, and I did this in purpose...so my tail lights aren't blocked by my cargo. Then I drilled a couple of extra holes on the angle iron frame to relocate my license plate. The supporting copper pipe frame is all soldered (like you would for plumbing), and everything else is riveted. I think I would have rathered TIG welded it all together, but the rivets work really great. The four white squares are just some self-adhesive reflectors that I picked up at REI. I admit, the rubbermaid tote bin is not exactly sexy on the back of my mt LT, but it does seem to fit the need for my upcoming trip. I'll probably pick up a small cooler too at some point, so I have the option of that...for other short day trips with my riding group. Pics attached....whaddya think?
Not to shabby if I may say so myself.

The entire rack weights less than 6lbs....and is quite sturdy. I haven't done any load test, but I'll bet the farm that it'll carry 50 to 75 lbs easily.

Might improve upon the design over the winter perhaps...by adding a light bar(stop, running, and turn indicators) to the rack....that would plug into my trailer light recepticle. Just a thought.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050352.JPG
Views:	4426
Size:	672.7 KB
ID:	23630   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050353.JPG
Views:	1334
Size:	488.2 KB
ID:	23631   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050354.JPG
Views:	1823
Size:	664.8 KB
ID:	23632   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050355.JPG
Views:	838
Size:	636.4 KB
ID:	23633   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050356.JPG
Views:	686
Size:	178.2 KB
ID:	23634  

Name:	P1050357.JPG
Views:	711
Size:	247.6 KB
ID:	23635  

I wish I could think of clever things to say in my signature.

Last edited by Toolman; Jul 5th, 2009 at 6:17 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Jul 5th, 2009, 7:07 pm

Re: Homemade cargo Rack

Isn't that going to screw up your handling? It's nice that the weight is low, but that far back can't be all good. I just road 2,200 miles without the top case, and what a HUGE difference. Pushed it so hard that I scraped the lower fairing on both sides. Don't think I'd want to try that with a cooler hung out back.
At least let us know how it feels when you get it out.
Frank
post #3 of 21 Old Jul 5th, 2009, 7:08 pm
Lifetime Supporter

It looks to be a damn fine rack.

Did you build the receivers for the 6" black pipe nipples, where you're attached to the LT frame?

post #4 of 21 Old Jul 6th, 2009, 6:21 am Thread Starter

I don't think 40 lbs, especially down this low, is going to screw up my handling. Does a lighter bike handle/flick easier?...sure....but this is an LT, not an R1, and flickabiltiy is not my main concern. Agree that the LT feels light and nimble withe trunk removed. I think the cargo rack will feel much lighter compared to pulling a cargo trailer.

No, I didn't make the receiver portion of my hitch. It's a Dauntless hitch which has the two female pipe sections by design.

Odd that the admins moved my thread from "K1200LT" to the "Trailers, Sidecars & Trikes" forum, when a cargo rack is none of the above. Hmmm.

post #5 of 21 Old Jul 6th, 2009, 10:36 pm

Thumbs up Re: Homemade cargo Rack

Nice work! I like the appearance better than the Dauntless.

Interesting comment on the thread being moved. The only thread I've ever had without a reply was also moved (from the main forum to the ipod/MP3 forum).

I'd be curious about others opinions on threads being moved. When they are providing information then putting them under a specific topic may still get them to the right set of members, but when they are seeking information doesn't that limit the pool of experience that might respond?

I often browse the main LT forum, but only browse the subs if I'm looking for information, not providing it.
post #6 of 21 Old Jul 7th, 2009, 10:18 am

Very nice work!

I would sure want to put some stainless bolts through the bottom of the tupperware and diamond plate near the corners. You could always fasten them from the inside with with fender washers and locking wing nuts to keep it "portable". I just don't trust bungies ever since I lost a 12 pack of beer. What a shame.

Lining the bottom perimeter of the Tupperware lid and top rim of the box with a few small pieces of 3M Dual lock tape would make the lid really secure and give you a clean look. It takes a good tug to separate it. The VHB (very high bond) adhesive on the backing will stick to just about anything, even when it gets warm and regular glues fail.

Happy trails!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #7 of 21 Old Jul 7th, 2009, 11:25 am Thread Starter

Yeah, I'm not crazy about these cheap bungee cords either. I do have a couple of ROK straps that I may use in lieu of the bungee cords. I would prefer not to bolt the Rubbermaid container down, as I like to be able to remove it easily. Although, easy removal also means, easy to steal!!

The Rubbermaid container was really an impulse buy...it just happened to be the same color as my bike! Anyway, I'm not sure it will be my long term cargo box as I may go with some sort of cooler, or perhaps even a homemade box.

post #8 of 21 Old Jul 7th, 2009, 12:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman
Yeah, I'm not crazy about these cheap bungee cords either. I do have a couple of ROK straps that I may use in lieu of the bungee cords. I would prefer not to bolt the Rubbermaid container down, as I like to be able to remove it easily. Although, easy removal also means, easy to steal!!

The Rubbermaid container was really an impulse buy...it just happened to be the same color as my bike! Anyway, I'm not sure it will be my long term cargo box as I may go with some sort of cooler, or perhaps even a homemade box.
These Pelican cases are excellent, and they just may have one that will fit perfectly:

http://www.pelican.com/case_category...Size=%&New=New

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #9 of 21 Old Jul 7th, 2009, 1:36 pm

Wink Re: Homemade cargo Rack

Nice Job,

One suggestion is to keep an eye on the Tupperware Container to be sure it doesn't melt.
I built a similar rack and had to modify it so the entire rack was higher than the exhaust pipe. Even tho the pipe bends down, a LOT of heat still comes off the the entire exhaust. Had a luggage bag melt on mine. So I modified the rack so it was above the exhaust. I understand wanting to keep it low as to not block brake lights. But what I did was to add lights to the rack since all the electrical is available from the existing connector for your dauntless hitch.

Joe
post #10 of 21 Old Jul 8th, 2009, 6:42 am Thread Starter

Good advice on the exhaust heat. I'll keep an eye on that. I did try to take that into consideration and only placed the rack low enough to clear the lights, but remain above the exhaust's turn-down outlet. With the surface of the rack being solid diamond plate, it should prevent direct exposure to the hot exhaust gas...and dissipate any heat quite well due to the fact that it's all aluminum. Nevertheless...thanks the words of advice.

Ron, I'm a big fan of Pelican cases and we use 'em alot where I work. They can be a bit heavy though, but they're certainly stout and weatherproof. I'll check out the sizes offered.

post #11 of 21 Old Jul 20th, 2009, 6:35 am Thread Starter

Just back from a ride through TN and western NC and I wanted to report that my homemade cargo rack performed flawlessly. Didn't even know it was back there, and it seemed to have no affect on performance whatsoever as I was still able to lean her over and scrape the center stand.

It sure was nice having the extra storage space too! Cheers, Toolman
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7-14-2009_01.jpg
Views:	3357
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	23809  

post #12 of 21 Old Jul 20th, 2009, 10:03 am

Great Rack.

My only concern is using copper instead of steel for the support frame.
Will it bend ?

Other than that I think it's a great addition. A Pellican case is definately in order.

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #13 of 21 Old Jul 20th, 2009, 10:57 am Thread Starter

For that reason, I used the heavy wall 3/4" copper pipe (M). I'm sure you could bend it if you stood on it, but I have no intention of ever putting that much weight on it. During my recent trip, there were times that I had well over 50lbs of weight on the rack (my bin full of water, soda, beer, tools, and other sundries )...and the rack was solid as a rock. Not sure what the rating would be, but I think whatever weight I intent to load onto it...within reason of course. Agree...a Pelican case would certainly look alot better (and be lockable if I secure it to the rack somehow). But I must say, the rubbermaid tote bin worked great, and for $7.99, you can't beat the price. All of my contents stayed nice and dry too.

post #14 of 21 Old Jul 20th, 2009, 7:19 pm

Hello Toolman

The rack design looks good ! now that you have a design that works go ahead and make one out of steel tubing as the copper WILL work harden and fracture over time , most likely at one of the 90 ells inside corner .

Bob G
post #15 of 21 Old Jul 20th, 2009, 8:42 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Hey John,

The rack looks great. Certainly the next time the Midwest gets together for burgers, you're in charge of the beer!

Great work,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #16 of 21 Old Jul 21st, 2009, 8:43 am

Nice job. Has anyone seen one made for the Bushtec design hitch?

Greg and Melanie

06 BMW K12LT "WANDRR"
05 DL1000 "WNDRR2"
02 Triumph Trophy 1200 "WNDRR3", in Heidelburg

WANDRR Motorcycle Tours
wandrrmotorcycletours.com
BMWMOA, BMWMOAL, IBA, MTF

ITS ALL ABOUT THE RIDE
post #17 of 21 Old Sep 20th, 2009, 10:51 pm

Thanks for the posting on the Cargo Rack. I had ordered a Cargo Rack from Dauntless, but they had it on back order. In the meantime I saw your post and cancelled my order and built my own rack. I kept it straight out of the hitch. Used in on a recent trip to the Finger Lakes Rally and it worked great. Am now adding a break light and turn signals as well as a license plate holder.

Thanks for the idea.

Hanshi
Reading, PA
Current Bikes:
2007 BMW K1200LT (Black)
2008 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic (red)
HF Tag-Along Trailer
Past Bikes:
2004 BMW K1200GT (Grey-Green)
2004 Suzuki Intruder (Black)
post #18 of 21 Old Sep 21st, 2009, 6:47 am Thread Starter

Fantastic Hanshi....nice to hear that my project inspired you to do the same.

I'd love to see some pictures of your rack. Is it wrong for one man to ask another man for pictures of his rack??

Anyway, thanks for sharing.

Last edited by Toolman; Sep 21st, 2009 at 9:53 am.
post #19 of 21 Old Sep 21st, 2009, 10:27 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanshi
. Am now adding a break light and turn signals as well as a license plate holder.
I'm thinking a nice set of Hyperlights or P3s should do the trick on this bad boy!

Nice Job!

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #20 of 21 Old Sep 30th, 2009, 9:59 pm

Here are two photos as requested. Hope to add LED light bar this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rack - front.JPG
Views:	348
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	24762   Click image for larger version

Name:	rack - back.JPG
Views:	310
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	24763  

Hanshi
Reading, PA
Current Bikes:
2007 BMW K1200LT (Black)
2008 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic (red)
HF Tag-Along Trailer
Past Bikes:
2004 BMW K1200GT (Grey-Green)
2004 Suzuki Intruder (Black)
post #21 of 21 Old Aug 4th, 2010, 4:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWWANDRR
Nice job. Has anyone seen one made for the Bushtec design hitch?

I didn't make it, just found the right pieces and put them together.

The rack adapter came from Rivco: http://rivcoproducts.com/products/pr...cat=397&page=1

I bought an extra hitch adapter to mount on my trailer tongue: http://rivcoproducts.com/products/pr...cat=273&page=1

When I do day trips, I mount the rack on the back of the LT and load my cooler. For longer trips, I can position the rack on the trailer tongue, allowing me to hitch the trailer to the LT. Sorry, but I don't have any pics with the cooler on the rack.

After getting to the camp site, etc I can move the rack back to the LT and take my cooler with me on the local trips.

I have also carried waterproof bags loaded with camping gear or extra riding gear.

Since I have the "trunk relocation" bracket, I had welded a small place to hook up "retaining straps" for the waterproof bag under the trunk...attached to the relocation brackets. The attachment points are also not pictured. Just picture something very similar to Ari's setup.

The cooler gets bungied on the rack and has never moved.

Some nuances:
1. I mounted the adapter plate upside down from the design. This works with my Bushtec Hitch. To keep the adapter from rotating I drilled a small 1/4" hole and bolted the plate to the hitch.

2. I added an exhaust piece to help divert the heat. You can see where it still has discolored the aluminum rack. I have never had the cooler or waterproof bag melt though.

3. The license plate is easily moveable from the moto to the rack, as needed.

4. I added the extra lights on the rear of the rack, for when the waterproof bag blocks the OEM lights. My cooler does not block the lights.

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in