HUGE Complaint (Not BMW) - BMW Luxury Touring Community
View Poll Results: Does your state requie a separate endorsement to operate a trike/sidecar?
Yes 0 0%
No 25 100.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Apr 28th, 2009, 1:19 pm Thread Starter

HUGE Complaint (Not BMW)

So, I make the LT decision, figure out how to pay for it, find the right one, buy it and take the beauty home.

And now the problem begins. Washington State requires a MC rider whose bike has a sidecar to obtain a Bike/Trike endorsement to complement a motorcycle endorsement. I purchase the bike with a Hannigan sidecar so that the bike won't "tip" thereby allowing my wife to ride with me. So I take the written test and go to schedule the riding skills test. The idiot on the other end of the call explains to me shill take my name and number so they cam call me and let me know the next bike/trike testing day. We only give the test every 2 months or so because there aren't many people taking the test.

Are they on crack? With my "bike/trike learners permit" I cannot carry a passenger on the bike or in the sidecar and I can't even ride the rig solo "during the hoursof darkness".

Does this seem right? 2 mos from now is freakin July!.

The person on the other end of the line said thy won't even consider scheduling the riding skills test until they have 2 or 3 people lined up to take the test. Looks like I will have to pay the $25 for my son and a couple other friends to take and pass the written test, schedule the riding test, nd then blow off the riding test.

CRAP!

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Apr 28th, 2009, 1:46 pm

Re: HUGE Complaint (Not BMW)

Include your wife on that list too

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
So, I make the LT decision, figure out how to pay for it, find the right one, buy it and take the beauty home.

And now the problem begins. Washington State requires a MC rider whose bike has a sidecar to obtain a Bike/Trike endorsement to complement a motorcycle endorsement. I purchase the bike with a Hannigan sidecar so that the bike won't "tip" thereby allowing my wife to ride with me. So I take the written test and go to schedule the riding skills test. The idiot on the other end of the call explains to me shill take my name and number so they cam call me and let me know the next bike/trike testing day. We only give the test every 2 months or so because there aren't many people taking the test.

Are they on crack? With my "bike/trike learners permit" I cannot carry a passenger on the bike or in the sidecar and I can't even ride the rig solo "during the hoursof darkness".

Does this seem right? 2 mos from now is freakin July!.

The person on the other end of the line said thy won't even consider scheduling the riding skills test until they have 2 or 3 people lined up to take the test. Looks like I will have to pay the $25 for my son and a couple other friends to take and pass the written test, schedule the riding test, nd then blow off the riding test.

CRAP!

Live Slow... Fly Fast

Check out our
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
blog that chronicled our trip to Alaska and back.

<- The Boy
The Toys

2001 K1200LT-C that's been to the Alaskan Arctic Circle and back
2008 VRSCAWA H-D V-Rod with a few goodies
2005 VRSCA H-D V-Rod
1981 Mooney M20J

post #3 of 14 Old Apr 28th, 2009, 2:11 pm

I may live currently in Oklahoma but am a Washington state resident. So my auto tags and toy tags go through there. What a pain sometimes, I have been waiting on the transfer of my camper tags for about a month and have no clue when they'll get here. I did recently add a motorcycle endorsement to my license and being that I am out of state they made it pretty easy. Can you see if Oregon or Idaho is offering a trike class. They don't care which state, as long as it meets their qualifications.

post #4 of 14 Old Apr 28th, 2009, 3:15 pm Thread Starter

Update to schedule exam: They offer the bike/trike skills test in Kennewick, WA EVERY THURSDAY YEAR ROUND. Kennewick is a suburb of nowhere close to the SE corner of the state. So I get to take a 240 mi each way ride to take a skills test in a geographical area apprx 35% smaller than Vancouver where I live.

Nuts! I have to take another ride on my bike! I'll just suffer along.

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #5 of 14 Old Apr 28th, 2009, 3:54 pm

There is an easier and smarter way to deal with this.

Quote from the WA State Department of Licensing:

"If you complete and pass an approved rider course at a sidecar/trike training school, bring your completion card to any driver licensing office within 180 days to have the knowledge and riding tests waived."

Here's the link to the Evergreen Safety Council and schedule of courses:

http://www.esc.org/step_training.php
post #6 of 14 Old Apr 28th, 2009, 11:19 pm Thread Starter

Good resource aylorr. Still it's 6 weeks out and in Kent, over 2 days. Hotel, food for 2 days, traffic!

Might still take the course just for the training.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #7 of 14 Old Apr 29th, 2009, 8:06 am

Last summer Florida implemented a bunch of changes to it's vehicle licensing laws. Among them was the creation of "3 wheel or more" exclusion to the motorcycle drivers license endorsement. This new endorsement is intended and required for individuals who want to pilot a trike or side car rig but do not currently have a "2 wheel or more" endorsement. If your already "endorsed" your good to go.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #8 of 14 Old Apr 29th, 2009, 11:26 am

No additional requirement for sidecar/ hack operators in NC. 2 months isn't all that long to wait, though. You'll wait that long or longer just to get into an MSF Basic Rider course here, almost anytime of the year.
post #9 of 14 Old Jul 6th, 2010, 1:49 pm

Illinois allows anyone with a class M (motorcycle over 175cc) license to operate a trike. But if you test for your class M on a trike they add an additional restriction that you can only drive a 3 wheeled trike not a 2 wheeled bike.
post #10 of 14 Old Jul 6th, 2010, 8:00 pm Thread Starter

Thanks rosenhauer for bringing this post back to my attention. A year ago I was whining because I had to wait so long to get my sidecar endorsement, State of Washington

I hate when people bitch long and loud about an issue and then don't pass along kudos where due

I am one of the rat bastards re: this issue

Here is what happened. I placed a call to DMV headquarters and was treansferred to an answering machine where I left a polite message. Dude didn't call me back that day or the next! Thinking bad thoughts! On the 3rd day he called. He had made some calls on my behalf and found there was a new test giver person who had to administer a riding test proctored by a certified examiner.

So, only 4 days later the three of us met at the designated course where I took my exam on a rain drench patch of asphalt. Passed test with flying colors, the new examiner got to administer the exam she needed and I forgot to publicly say thank you to the Washington State DMV.

THANK YOU WASHINGTON STATE DMV!!!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #11 of 14 Old Jul 7th, 2010, 10:24 am

Hey guys just feel lucky, they do require testing, In Oklahoma they passed a law 10 years ago that required the MSF class for bikes. They raised the tag fee to 125.00 to pay for the training. They implementd the law very quickly and of course no one could get into the classes for 6 months which slowed down motorcycle sale. In their infinate wisdom the state of Oklahoma reacted by suspending the law requiring training BUT they left the higher tag fee and put the money in the general fund.......................Really make one mad, I see someone dying every week in the newspaper because they do not know how to ride a motorcycle, the basic MSF could have saved a lot of lives IF they would just delayed the implementation for a little while, let some money build up and gear the schools up to the required level, afte one or 2 years we could have had a very well trained group of riders, instead we have higher taxes and the same number of folks getting killed every year because of a lack of education......and training. JMO Kieth

ps I do not like seat belt laws and generally agree that the government should not intrude on our privacy, but in this case it makes sense to require training for motorcycles like they do airplanes, because people do not realize the inherent dangers of a bike.......they need to be trained.......The MSF training made a huge difference in my riding skills and I know they can help everyone else as well............(or a class like the MSF)
post #12 of 14 Old Jul 7th, 2010, 11:12 am

I'll probably be taking a class with my wife when she is ready. Both for support and to tune my skills.

Dave
post #13 of 14 Old Jul 7th, 2010, 1:45 pm

Ever heard of Civil Disobedience? Bureaucrats will rule the world if you let them.

Ultra LT
post #14 of 14 Old Mar 27th, 2011, 1:22 pm

I had to read carefully what it said in SC, but the gist is that if the sidecar is not permanently attached you wouldn't need a special endorsement. Since it did not specify what permanent is and I CAN remove the sidecar, I could get by with just the motorcycle endorsement. Perhaps an accurate read of what the requirement actually say may solve your problem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in