Paint cargo carrier( what type of paint?) - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Apr 12th, 2009, 4:05 pm Thread Starter

Paint cargo carrier( what type of paint?)

Hi all;

I purchased a used cargo carrier ( Sears X-Cargo) and have heard that they are hard to paint. I have a few spray cans ( for plastic) and was wondering if the paint will stick. I heard that it takes some special cleaner and paint to get this to stick!! I sprayed a small area, and it seems to stick once dry.

I want to hear from the guys that have painted theirs and what type of prep and paint used.

Thanks in advance,
Bowdon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Apr 12th, 2009, 5:00 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Paint cargo carrier( what type of paint?)

I had some left over silver wheel paint from my MG days. All I did was wipe it down with a rag soaked in acetone. That roughed and cleaned the surface and the paint has held just fine after 6,000 miles of towing in rain and shine.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old Apr 12th, 2009, 6:32 pm

Check out this coverage pdf..

http://www.rustoleum.com/cbgimages/d...RefGuide08.pdf

post #4 of 14 Old Apr 13th, 2009, 9:57 am

I scuffed mine with steel wool, then scrubbed it with Dawn dish washing soap and water. Then a quick wipe down with Acetone like John. Worked great.

I used Rustoleum plastic paint, Krylon is excellent too but for me it dries too fast when covering a large area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ron's BMW trailer 003.jpg
Views:	741
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	22575   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ron's BMW trailer 005.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	22576   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ron's BMW trailer 006.jpg
Views:	1141
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	22577   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ron's BMW trailer 012.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	22578  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Apr 13th, 2009 at 10:04 am.
post #5 of 14 Old Apr 14th, 2009, 6:55 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
I scuffed mine with steel wool, then scrubbed it with Dawn dish washing soap and water. Then a quick wipe down with Acetone like John. Worked great.

I used Rustoleum plastic paint, Krylon is excellent too but for me it dries too fast when covering a large area.
Ron Miller;

Nice looking trailer!!! Mine won't be that fancy!!
I noticed that you only have two lights at the rear, how did you hook this to a 5 wire system on the LT? I am putting an extra set of lights for the brake lights to make it a 5 wire system. ( seems like this is the way most people have it done).

Regards,
Bowdon
post #6 of 14 Old Apr 15th, 2009, 8:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowdon
Ron Miller;

....how did you hook this to a 5 wire system on the LT? I am putting an extra set of lights for the brake lights to make it a 5 wire system. ( seems like this is the way most people have it done).
I'll assume Ron used a converter like this.

Either way, you might want to re-think putting independant/separate turn signals on your trailer. Especially if you ever intend to pull that trailer with a vehicle that does NOT have separate brake/turn signals. Reason being, if you use separate turn signals, yet the tow vehicle doesn't have separate turn signals, the only way you'll be able to make it work properly is to run a separate wire from your brake light switch (on your car/cage). And in doing so, then the trailer is a bit customized the tow vehicle. Which, depending on how you look at it, might not necessaruily be a bad thing as this would prevent your buddy from be able to borrow it and pull it with his car/cage.

It is for this reason that most trailers manufacturers here in the US do NOT install separate brake and turn lights. I say most, because of course, there are exceptions to this rule...like trailers that are specific to the tow vehicle (like motorcycle trailers). Just wanted to make sure you're aware of this...in case you think you might ever pull this trailer with something other than your bike.

Cheers,
Toolman

I wish I could think of clever things to say in my signature.
post #7 of 14 Old Apr 15th, 2009, 2:18 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman

Either way, you might want to re-think putting independant/separate turn signals on your trailer. Especially if you ever intend to pull that trailer with a vehicle that does NOT have separate brake/turn signals. Reason being, if you use separate turn signals, yet the tow vehicle doesn't have separate turn signals, the only way you'll be able to make it work properly is to run a separate wire from your brake light switch (on your car/cage). And in doing so, then the trailer is a bit customized the tow vehicle. Which, depending on how you look at it, might not necessaruily be a bad thing as this would prevent your buddy from be able to borrow it and pull it with his car/cage.

It is for this reason that most trailers manufacturers here in the US do NOT install separate brake and turn lights. I say most, because of course, there are exceptions to this rule...like trailers that are specific to the tow vehicle (like motorcycle trailers). Just wanted to make sure you're aware of this...in case you think you might ever pull this trailer with something other than your bike.

Cheers,
Toolman
Toolman;
Where the 5 wire plug ( on the trailer) there will also be a 4 wire connector ( not wired to the seperate brake lights) so anyone with a 4 wire connector can use the trailer. I think this will work.
I would rather have a 5 wire system ( I never thought about others!!!)
post #8 of 14 Old Apr 16th, 2009, 7:50 am

Quote:
Toolman;
Where the 5 wire plug ( on the trailer) there will also be a 4 wire connector ( not wired to the seperate brake lights) so anyone with a 4 wire connector can use the trailer. I think this will work.
I would rather have a 5 wire system ( I never thought about others!!!)
Good luck. With that setup, you're either going to have turn signals that when activated, will blink both turn signal lights simultaneously, or if you wire it such that you have separate turn signals, then you won't have brake lights. Bottom line is, there's not much reason to put separate turn signals and braks lights on a trailer....unless of course...and as I stated above, you'll only pull it with a vehicle that also has separate turn signals and brake lights....in which case you'll be just fine.

post #9 of 14 Old Apr 18th, 2009, 7:20 pm

Quote:

Cheers,
Toolman
Yep, that's the only way it can be done that I know of. I can't remember what brand mine was but I know a popular brand is "Hoppy".

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #10 of 14 Old Apr 18th, 2009, 7:25 pm

Quote:
Ron Miller;

Nice looking trailer!!! Mine won't be that fancy!!
I noticed that you only have two lights at the rear, how did you hook this to a 5 wire system on the LT? I am putting an extra set of lights for the brake lights to make it a 5 wire system. ( seems like this is the way most people have it done).

Regards,
Bowdon
I've got a "bunch o' lights" back there:

2 led amber marker lights up front on the sides.

2 red amber marker lights on the rear sides.

2 incandescent license plate lights on each side of the plate.

2 combination brake/stop/turn leds on the rear.

3 incandescent bulbs in the light bar strip on the bottom.

Oh yeah - the stop lights on the trailer flash rapidly when the brakes are applied at the same rate as the led bar on the luggage rack.

Damned if I can remember how I did it - but it works!

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #11 of 14 Old Apr 19th, 2009, 7:12 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Good luck. With that setup, you're either going to have turn signals that when activated, will blink both turn signal lights simultaneously, or if you wire it such that you have separate turn signals, then you won't have brake lights. Bottom line is, there's not much reason to put separate turn signals and braks lights on a trailer....unless of course...and as I stated above, you'll only pull it with a vehicle that also has separate turn signals and brake lights....in which case you'll be just fine.
Toolman;

I keep reading ( on this site and the trailer site) that because the LT is a 5 wire system you have to use a 5 wire system with an extra wire for the brake lights!!

There is a lot of conflicting info about wiring the LT and a trailer!!! Some use a hoppy 5 to 4 and other say to use 5 to 5 with an extra set of lights for the brakes lights!!!

Here is what I think I will do to finish the trailer today!!!( and bike when I get the 4 isolator relay kit from Dauntless):

Wire the bike for 5 wires ( dauntless wiring kit with relays), wire the trailer with 4 wires ( so I can also tow with my truck) and then make a separate wiring cable with as 5 plug ( bike hitch end) through a hoppy 5 to 4 converter with a 4 plug on the end to hook to the trailer plug when I use the bike!! It sounds like the right way to go!!!

Still confused about wiring this trailer and bike!!! I can build a complete processing factory with all the equipment required, but CAN'T wire a small trailer and bike!!!!

Not my forte!!!
Regards,
Bowdon ( Don Bowen)
post #12 of 14 Old Apr 20th, 2009, 7:26 am

You're in the process of making a trailer and figuring out what lights to install on that trailer. The purpose of my post was to warn you about installing separate (independently functional) turn signals and brake lights on that trailer, if you ever intend to pull that trailer with a vehicle OTHER THAN the LT. Simple as that, period...full stop.

I never said, nor intended to imply that a trailer with separate turn signals/brake lights won't work with the LT, because it will [work]. The LT has separate turn signals and brake lights, so there's no problem there. However, if you do put separate turn signals/brake lights on that trailer you're building, and then decide to pull it with a vehicle that does not have separate turn signals/brake lights, there will be an issue. That's all....

Cheers, Toolman

post #13 of 14 Old Apr 20th, 2009, 5:13 pm Thread Starter

Smile Re: Paint cargo carrier( what type of paint?)

Quote:
You're in the process of making a trailer and figuring out what lights to install on that trailer. The purpose of my post was to warn you about installing separate (independently functional) turn signals and brake lights on that trailer, if you ever intend to pull that trailer with a vehicle OTHER THAN the LT. Simple as that, period...full stop.

I never said, nor intended to imply that a trailer with separate turn signals/brake lights won't work with the LT, because it will [work]. The LT has separate turn signals and brake lights, so there's no problem there. However, if you do put separate turn signals/brake lights on that trailer you're building, and then decide to pull it with a vehicle that does not have separate turn signals/brake lights, there will be an issue. That's all....

Cheers, Toolman
Toolman;

I understood your email, and decided to hook-up the trailer as a standard 4 wire system. I will wire the LT for a 5 wire system when I get the relay isolator kit from Dauntless. I will then make a separate cable with a 5 pin connection from the bike hitch to a converter ( 5 to 4) which will have a 4 pin connector to hook to the trailer. This way if I am using the bike I use the cable, and if I use the truck, I don't use the cable. I think this is best and as you said, anyone can tow the trailer ( bike, car or truck!!)
I was just thinking out loud on the extra lights for the brake lights!!!

Thanks for the info.

Regards,
Bowdon.
post #14 of 14 Old Jun 23rd, 2018, 12:37 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller View Post

Oh my goodness...this thread is 9 years old so hope someone is paying attention! I like how you repurposed the cargo carrier. I also have one that I'd like to repurpose but kinda need to figure out what a good chassis would be to attach it to. Don't want to spend $5000 and don't necessarily want to spend $150 at Harbor Freight.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in