Ironhorse Fliptop trailer and alternatives - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Apr 10th, 2009, 9:07 am Thread Starter

Ironhorse Fliptop trailer and alternatives

I retired yesterday. We are looking forward to traveling, some with the LT. We are going to CCR. I have been researching trailers for some time and was about ready to pull the trigger on a single bike Ironhorse fliptop. I discovered this morning that Ironhorse has filed Chapter 11 on April 8. I'm not sure exactly what all a Chapter 11 filing means, but I do know that the success rate for businesses filing Chapter 11 is less than 10%. So now I'm back to a search for a trailer. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I want an enclosed trailer and it needs to fit in my 7' high garage. Am I over reacting to the Ironhorse situation or should I look elsewhere?

2007 K1200LT Hannigan- Blue
2012 R1200GS - Rallye
1973 R75/5 Toaster - Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old May 17th, 2009, 2:22 pm

Re: Ironhorse Fliptop trailer and alternatives

I have a two bike Ironhorse tailer and love it. Sad to hear that they may have shut their doors. I'd look for a used one. Im sure their is something out there.
Jim

Jim in Dublin, OH

2005 - LT Ocean Blue (Catuffalo - Part Cat / Part Buffalo)
2002 - Moto Guzzi Cal Spec Sport
2000 - Moto Guzzi V11 Sport
post #3 of 10 Old May 17th, 2009, 4:18 pm

Chariot makes a small, fiberglass enclosed trailer. I've had one for many years. I'm told they recently changed ownership, but they may be worth a look.

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '69 R60US (mint!)
'83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"

post #4 of 10 Old May 29th, 2009, 9:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby60
I retired yesterday. We are looking forward to traveling, some with the LT. We are going to CCR. I have been researching trailers for some time and was about ready to pull the trigger on a single bike Ironhorse fliptop. I discovered this morning that Ironhorse has filed Chapter 11 on April 8. I'm not sure exactly what all a Chapter 11 filing means, but I do know that the success rate for businesses filing Chapter 11 is less than 10%. So now I'm back to a search for a trailer. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I want an enclosed trailer and it needs to fit in my 7' high garage. Am I over reacting to the Ironhorse situation or should I look elsewhere?
Perhaps an overreaction... it seems these companies come and go.. there are at least 5 of them that produced/produce trailers and it seems they are highly affected by any economy shift. Or perhaps they just do not work out the real cost of doing business. In any case I just purchased a pretty cool trailer with the same idea in mind that also has gone out of business. I was confident enough in the trailer as a whole, I didn't worry about the company. I actually wanted a 2 place, and did quite a lot of research on both single and dual. The 3 that seem to have the best options are Fibrecore and RallyTime and Phoenix Cyclepod at http://www.fibrecore.com/index.html - http://www.rallytimetrailers.com/index.html and http://www.customcyclecarrier.com/ .. NOW the bad news.. Rally time is out of business, Custom Cycle carrier appears to not be making the MC Pod anymore, and Fibrecore is busy doing other trailer types and will make 1 or 2 place trailers as requested by customers. I have found the MC pod around.. one location is www.johnstrailers.com in Middlebury IN or Toledo OH. the Rally Time is actually what I now own and I found a couple available.. One is still available on Craig's list http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mcy/1166223787.html .. I am not offering any up as a salesman for any, but just giving information. As soon as I configure the Rallytime for 2 k1200LT's I will try to post a photo.. It will be VERY full but I am hopeful. Billd

Bill
KLR650
Looking for the next machine :<)
Lafayette, Indiana
post #5 of 10 Old Jun 18th, 2009, 1:18 pm

Talking Re: Ironhorse Fliptop trailer and alternatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by billd
Perhaps an overreaction... it seems these companies come and go.. there are at least 5 of them that produced/produce trailers and it seems they are highly affected by any economy shift. Or perhaps they just do not work out the real cost of doing business. In any case I just purchased a pretty cool trailer with the same idea in mind that also has gone out of business. I was confident enough in the trailer as a whole, I didn't worry about the company. I actually wanted a 2 place, and did quite a lot of research on both single and dual. The 3 that seem to have the best options are Fibrecore and RallyTime and Phoenix Cyclepod at http://www.fibrecore.com/index.html - http://www.rallytimetrailers.com/index.html and http://www.customcyclecarrier.com/ .. NOW the bad news.. Rally time is out of business, Custom Cycle carrier appears to not be making the MC Pod anymore, and Fibrecore is busy doing other trailer types and will make 1 or 2 place trailers as requested by customers. I have found the MC pod around.. one location is www.johnstrailers.com in Middlebury IN or Toledo OH. the Rally Time is actually what I now own and I found a couple available.. One is still available on Craig's list http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mcy/1166223787.html .. I am not offering any up as a salesman for any, but just giving information. As soon as I configure the Rallytime for 2 k1200LT's I will try to post a photo.. It will be VERY full but I am hopeful. Billd
Here is a photo of the Trailer with 2 LT's inside !! They fit fine !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1301.JPG
Views:	1368
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	23463  

Bill
KLR650
Lafayette, Indiana
post #6 of 10 Old Jun 18th, 2009, 2:25 pm

Bill-
How do you get out of there after tying down the bikes? Did you add the condors latter? Mine came with two chocks but Im not sure I like them. Every have any problems getting the LT out of the chocks?

Thanks,
Jim

Jim in Dublin, OH

2005 - LT Ocean Blue (Catuffalo - Part Cat / Part Buffalo)
2002 - Moto Guzzi Cal Spec Sport
2000 - Moto Guzzi V11 Sport
post #7 of 10 Old Jun 18th, 2009, 11:54 pm

Thumbs up Re: Ironhorse Fliptop trailer and alternatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsciullo
Bill-
How do you get out of there after tying down the bikes? Did you add the condors latter? Mine came with two chocks but Im not sure I like them. Every have any problems getting the LT out of the chocks?

Thanks,
Jim
Jim .. Actually it is not too bad.. I tied the first one down completely.. No issues there.. Then once the 2nd one is in place slip off the bike towards the outsde.. exit the rear slipping between the bike and side.. again not bad. Then hop in thru the front hatch and tie down the front in the proper LT way.. I put soft ties in place around the forks before loading onto the trailer.. hop back out and then tie the rear down with more soft ties. The condors were adjusted per the instructions so the front is in quite deep and they seem really fine so far. I do tie the wheel to the Condor with a strap around wheel and condor as well. It came with the Condors, which I mounted in a slight stagger to ensure the mirrors would not touch. I also have the bike chock made by Baxley that I have used in the past and I actually think for the LT it provides an even better hold on the bike. I used the Condors because they came with the trailer, and so far they are super secure too.
This all sounds like a lot to do but really was not difficult at all, and I am not a little guy. This is certainly the smallest and most aerodynamic trailer for 2 big machines like LT's.. If 2 of them fit.. 2 of ANYTHING else will fit. Only issue I have on every trailer is getting the relatively short tie down length connected such that i do not run out of ratchet length. I continue to shop for short hook to ratchet tie down sets !! I have considered remanufacturing sets for motorcycle folks !!
Oops.. almost forgot the discussion on getting the LT out of the chocks.. Yes it can be a little hard to get it out, but what I always have success with is put her in reverse (you may have to pull back or rock the LT to get lever to engage) then as I press reverse I try to assist by pulling back on the bars at the same time.. she usually hops right out.. I find the position the rocker on the wheel chock is set to, is critical for this.. I believe I am in the 4th set of holes from the front.. but you may want to experiment.. I wanted a solid overtravel for secure hold on the wheel.. but not so deep that it will not come out !

Did you get a Rallytime as well ?
Bill

Bill
KLR650
Lafayette, Indiana
post #8 of 10 Old Jun 19th, 2009, 12:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by billd
Jim .. Actually it is not too bad.. I tied the first one down completely.. No issues there.. Then once the 2nd one is in place slip off the bike towards the outsde.. exit the rear slipping between the bike and side.. again not bad. Then hop in thru the front hatch and tie down the front in the proper LT way.. I put soft ties in place around the forks before loading onto the trailer.. hop back out and then tie the rear down with more soft ties. The condors were adjusted per the instructions so the front is in quite deep and they seem really fine so far. I do tie the wheel to the Condor with a strap around wheel and condor as well. It came with the Condors, which I mounted in a slight stagger to ensure the mirrors would not touch. I also have the bike chock made by Baxley that I have used in the past and I actually think for the LT it provides an even better hold on the bike. I used the Condors because they came with the trailer, and so far they are super secure too.
This all sounds like a lot to do but really was not difficult at all, and I am not a little guy. This is certainly the smallest and most aerodynamic trailer for 2 big machines like LT's.. If 2 of them fit.. 2 of ANYTHING else will fit. Only issue I have on every trailer is getting the relatively short tie down length connected such that i do not run out of ratchet length. I continue to shop for short hook to ratchet tie down sets !! I have considered remanufacturing sets for motorcycle folks !!
Oops.. almost forgot the discussion on getting the LT out of the chocks.. Yes it can be a little hard to get it out, but what I always have success with is put her in reverse (you may have to pull back or rock the LT to get lever to engage) then as I press reverse I try to assist by pulling back on the bars at the same time.. she usually hops right out.. I find the position the rocker on the wheel chock is set to, is critical for this.. I believe I am in the 4th set of holes from the front.. but you may want to experiment.. I wanted a solid overtravel for secure hold on the wheel.. but not so deep that it will not come out !

Did you get a Rallytime as well ?
Bill

Here are a couple more pictures in pdf that shows the back loaded more.. Bill
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Rallytime pics.pdf (512.4 KB, 211 views)

Bill
KLR650
Lafayette, Indiana
post #9 of 10 Old Dec 30th, 2015, 6:24 pm

Rally Time rides again! I bought the company 3 years ago and have started making trailers. Please revisit the website RallyTime Trailers™ - Your motorcycle gives you a great ride! Why not return the favor? for new contact info.
post #10 of 10 Old Jan 20th, 2016, 10:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby60 View Post
Wish I had seen this comment 7 years ago. Ironhorse has been continuously building Ironhorse Trailers since late 2002. The Chapter 11 filing was a two day burp in that production. During that time we've added small, medium and large flip top trailers as well as three open trailers to our product line.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in