pictures of Lt wired for a trailer!!! - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Apr 4th, 2009, 8:55 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
bowdon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: St-Lazare, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 514
Question pictures of Lt wired for a trailer!!!

Hi all;

I am in the process of wiring the LT for a trailer. I have the 5 to 4 connector ( hoppy) a bosch relay ( PBT-GF30-12V)( which has a red wire with a fuse going to the + battery side, another red wire going to the ( LT yellow/grey) and the white wire from the relay to ground (brown) somewhere on one of the lights.

Some guys are talking about one relay, others are talking about 4 relays.

I have installed ( velcro) the relay in the rear light area ( in an open space ) on the left side ( LT light harness ( rubber grommet) is on the right).

I will be trying to see if the 5 to 4 connector will fit in the same area, or I will place it under the seat, and just run the wires to the lights, and the hitch plug ( which is a 4 wire plug for the trailer plug).

I am getting worried that the harness is not protected enough( after reading the emails!!!!)

Anyone have a few pictures of how they did this?? All the parts came with a Dauntless Hitch.

I can take some pictures if need be ( not much done so far!!

Regards,
Bowdon
bowdon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old Apr 4th, 2009, 10:05 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MARCO ISLAND, FL, W. NC USA
Posts: 1,178
Re: pictures of Lt wired for a trailer!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowdon
Hi all;

I am in the process of wiring the LT for a trailer. I have the 5 to 4 connector ( hoppy) a bosch relay ( PBT-GF30-12V)( which has a red wire with a fuse going to the + battery side, another red wire going to the ( LT yellow/grey) and the white wire from the relay to ground (brown) somewhere on one of the lights.

Some guys are talking about one relay, others are talking about 4 relays.

I have installed ( velcro) the relay in the rear light area ( in an open space ) on the left side ( LT light harness ( rubber grommet) is on the right).

I will be trying to see if the 5 to 4 connector will fit in the same area, or I will place it under the seat, and just run the wires to the lights, and the hitch plug ( which is a 4 wire plug for the trailer plug).

I am getting worried that the harness is not protected enough( after reading the emails!!!!)

Anyone have a few pictures of how they did this?? All the parts came with a Dauntless Hitch.

I can take some pictures if need be ( not much done so far!!

Regards,
Bowdon
do a search on "5 wire trailer wiring" and also start here:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21731

for some suggestions. Good luck.and enjoy!

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SmokinJoe is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old Apr 5th, 2009, 8:15 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
bowdon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: St-Lazare, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 514
Question Re: pictures of Lt wired for a trailer!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe
do a search on "5 wire trailer wiring" and also start here:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21731

for some suggestions. Good luck.and enjoy!
SmolinJoe; I have the wiring diagram from Dauntless ( does not show much, just tells yo how to do the hook-up to the lights). I have the harness which has a red and white wire from the relay, other red wire from the relay goes to the + side of the battery ( has fuse) inline. The other wires hook from the hoppy converter yellow, green and brown from the lights (rear) to the trailer plug ( 4 plug).

I will try to hook this up this afternoon to see if it works on the old trailer.

Pictures are always better for me!!! ( I am VISUAL!!, my wife says!!!)
Regards,
Bowdon
bowdon is offline  
 
post #4 of 15 Old Apr 5th, 2009, 9:04 am
Senior Member
 
SilverBuffalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: St. Petersburg, FL, USA
Posts: 3,208
Re: pictures of Lt wired for a trailer!!!

I thought we had you all "wired up" a couple of days ago.
Please go back and read the thread under the link that Joe provided you.
Maybe read it again.
What you're trying to do will not work!
Read my post! in that same thread.
I can't explain it any better than that.


Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"



SilverBuffalo is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old Apr 5th, 2009, 9:40 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
bowdon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: St-Lazare, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 514
Question Re: pictures of Lt wired for a trailer!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
I thought we had you all "wired up" a couple of days ago.
Please go back and read the thread under the link that Joe provided you.
Maybe read it again.
What you're trying to do will not work!
Read my post! in that same thread.
I can't explain it any better than that.
Silverbuffalo;

I had the left turn signal working, and the lights were on the trailer. But nothing else. I found that the 5 to 4 converter was defective so I purchased another one.

Here is what I thought I could do:

1) the relay has two red wires and a white wire coming out of it. One red wire ( with the inline fuse)goes to the + size of the battery. The other red wire goes to the yellow/grey ( left turn signal) on the light( which is also connected to the hoppy 5 wire side) The white wire from the relay goes to ground ( brown) wire on one of the light sockets( which is also connected to the hoppy 5 wire side) the yellow from the hoppy 5 wire side, is connected to the blue/red connector on the light socket( not run through the relay). The brown wire from the hoppy goes to the blue/grey wire on the light socket, and the green wire from the hoppy goes to the blue wire on the light socket for the right turn.

Only two wires ( red and white) are run through the relay.

Should I run the hoppy 5 wire side through the relay, then out to the lights?? Then the 4 wire side to the plug for the hitch?? The hitch plug is a standard 4 wire plug.

This is why I wanted to see pictures of the wires hooked up. Pictures are always easier for me!!!

I had pictures of the wiring harness I received from the guy I received the harness from in a previous post.

I wired my old K 1100 LT direct without a problem ( no relay in the middle) but I seem to have a hard time understanding this wiring procedure on the 1200 LT!!!!!

Thanks for trying!!!

Bowdon
bowdon is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old Apr 5th, 2009, 10:01 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MARCO ISLAND, FL, W. NC USA
Posts: 1,178
Question Re: pictures of Lt wired for a trailer!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowdon
Silverbuffalo;

I had the left turn signal working, and the lights were on the trailer. But nothing else. I found that the 5 to 4 converter was defective so I purchased another one.

Here is what I thought I could do:

1) the relay has two red wires and a white wire coming out of it. One red wire ( with the inline fuse)goes to the + size of the battery. The other red wire goes to the yellow/grey ( left turn signal) on the light( which is also connected to the hoppy 5 wire side) The white wire from the relay goes to ground ( brown) wire on one of the light sockets( which is also connected to the hoppy 5 wire side) the yellow from the hoppy 5 wire side, is connected to the blue/red connector on the light socket( not run through the relay). The brown wire from the hoppy goes to the blue/grey wire on the light socket, and the green wire from the hoppy goes to the blue wire on the light socket for the right turn.

How is the weather in Canada?

Only two wires ( red and white) are run through the relay.

Should I run the hoppy 5 wire side through the relay, then out to the lights?? Then the 4 wire side to the plug for the hitch?? The hitch plug is a standard 4 wire plug.

This is why I wanted to see pictures of the wires hooked up. Pictures are always easier for me!!!

I had pictures of the wiring harness I received from the guy I received the harness from in a previous post.

I wired my old K 1100 LT direct without a problem ( no relay in the middle) but I seem to have a hard time understanding this wiring procedure on the 1200 LT!!!!!

Thanks for trying!!!

Bowdon
How is the weather in Canada???

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SmokinJoe is offline  
post #7 of 15 Old Apr 5th, 2009, 4:01 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
bowdon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: St-Lazare, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 514
Re: pictures of Lt wired for a trailer!!!

I am going to order the Dauntless 4 isolator relay with the wiring harness this week. I don't like the single relay set up.

I guess I should also change the hoppy 5 to 4 connector to a 5 to 5 connector??

Hopefully after this I should be able to hook up the wiring from the bike to the hitch.

The 4 wire HF trailer might be a problem!! ( I guess I might have to add another wire for the seperate brake lights I will also be installing!!!!

Regards,
Bowdon
bowdon is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old Apr 5th, 2009, 6:38 pm
Senior Member
 
SilverBuffalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: St. Petersburg, FL, USA
Posts: 3,208
Re: pictures of Lt wired for a trailer!!!

Ok it seems like the light bulb in your brain is starting to get brighter.
I think it is a very good idea to order the Dauntless isolator relay because the LT has some very sophisticated electronics that could cost you megabucks if something went wrong.

Once you add some separate brake lights and a 5 t0 5 plug to your trailer your life will become much simpler.

I don't think you had a defective 5 to 4 Hoppy unit,
if you wired it the way I think you did you fried it,
I can say that because I bought and fried two of them
before I figured out that it wasn't going to work.

Also the reason it did work on your K1100 is because it doesn't have the same separate brake light circuit like the LT.
Is it all starting to make sense now?


Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"



SilverBuffalo is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old Apr 5th, 2009, 9:31 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
bowdon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: St-Lazare, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 514
Exclamation Re: pictures of Lt wired for a trailer!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
Ok it seems like the light bulb in your brain is starting to get brighter.
I think it is a very good idea to order the Dauntless isolator relay because the LT has some very sophisticated electronics that could cost you megabucks if something went wrong.

Once you add some separate brake lights and a 5 t0 5 plug to your trailer your life will become much simpler.

I don't think you had a defective 5 to 4 Hoppy unit,
if you wired it the way I think you did you fried it,
I can say that because I bought and fried two of them
before I figured out that it wasn't going to work.

Also the reason it did work on your K1100 is because it doesn't have the same separate brake light circuit like the LT.
Is it all starting to make sense now?
Silverbuffalo;

I read a lot of threads today about wiring the LT!!! It started to make sense.
I know that I need to install to relays ( wired to the lights) relays to the connector ( 5 to 5 ) and add the additional wire ( making it 5) to the hitch plug and on the HF trailer with 2 other lights for the brakes?? RIGHT??

Then I have to put another set wire on the existing tent trailer because it is a 4 wire connector and I won't be able to pull this trailer with the LT?? RIGHT??

Its a little more wiring but hopefully things will work out in the end!!!

During the wiring part of the LT and HF trailer, I will take pictures and maybe do a step by step because I have seen a LOT of threads from others who are going through the same headaches with wiring trailers for the LT!! and have not seen any pictures or step by step drawing of how to do it right the first time!!! The Dauntless instructions don't show ant type of detail in wiring the LT for the hitch, and I have yet to see a step by step with pictures!!!
This would be extremely helpful to me and others that are trying to wire thing up!!!

Regards,
Bowdon
bowdon is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old Apr 6th, 2009, 7:47 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
bowdon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: St-Lazare, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 514
Re: pictures of Lt wired for a trailer!!!

SilverBuffalo;

I was wondering if I ready need the 5 to 5 connector. I could just run 5 wires from the relays to the plug for the hitch.? Right?

It eliminated the additional cost of this connector (because I have enough wire to do the job.

Just asking.

Regards,
Bowdon
bowdon is offline  
post #11 of 15 Old Apr 19th, 2009, 2:45 pm
Junior Member
 
CaptainTom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: San Pedro, California, USA
Posts: 16
Cool Wiring an LT for a Uni-go trailer

I've been reading the threads but does anyone have clear instructions and photos for installing the isolation relay on a K1200LT? My friend received the trailer and relay from Uni-go but we're not electricians and they only provided a basic wiring diagram.

Thanks,

Captain Tom

2002 K1200 LTE
Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CaptainTom is offline  
post #12 of 15 Old Apr 19th, 2009, 8:28 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
bowdon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: St-Lazare, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 514
Re: Wiring an LT for a Uni-go trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainTom
I've been reading the threads but does anyone have clear instructions and photos for installing the isolation relay on a K1200LT? My friend received the trailer and relay from Uni-go but we're not electricians and they only provided a basic wiring diagram.

Thanks,

Here is what I found for the Unigo trailer, I will have a wiring diagram for a dauntless next week when my isolator kit gets here, post when I get it.

Regards,
Bowdon
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Unigo%20K1200lt%20Wiring%20Diagram-2.pdf (75.1 KB, 95 views)
bowdon is offline  
post #13 of 15 Old May 1st, 2009, 5:31 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
bowdon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: St-Lazare, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 514
Re: pictures of Lt wired for a trailer!!!

Hi all;

I finished the wiring of the bike and trailer (finally!!!!) Here is what I did which made the most sense for me:

I wired the bike (2005 LT) with the Dauntless 4 relay isolators ( located on the right behind the passenger seat). Red wire to the + side of the battery.

The bike is wired with 5 wires.

The trailer is wired for 4 wires (standard). This way I can also pull with my car or truck.

I made a separate cable that goes in-between. 5 wire plug from the Dauntless hitch on the LT. Then into a 5 to 4 connector and the 4 wire flat plug on the other end for the trailer. Tested and everything works well!!!!

Thanks to everyone on this site for their information ( some were a little more patient then others!!!) but it all worked out!!!

The paint ( black) worked OK but seems to scratch of easier. The gold is a better paint but only comes in a small selection of colors. Not fussed with the grey, but it will have to do for now!!!! ( I might just paint the whole thing black later on, but for now..............).

Maiden voyage on Sat to see how it pulls!!

Here are some pictures of the finished work!!



Regards,
Bowdon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0072.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	746.3 KB
ID:	22854   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0073.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	780.3 KB
ID:	22855   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0074.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	663.7 KB
ID:	22856   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0075.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	670.2 KB
ID:	22857  
bowdon is offline  
post #14 of 15 Old May 1st, 2009, 6:02 pm
Senior Member
 
Bighopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 682
Re: pictures of Lt wired for a trailer!!!

Very satisfying when you get it to work. I like your idea of doing a write up with pictures, it certainly has helped me do some of the electrical jobs on my 06 LT this winter.
Can you take the carrier off the trailer & put your QUAD on , now that would be a useful trailer out here in Alberta

BIGHOPPER (Phil)
BGB 602
2016 R1200RT LC Purchase March
2003 R1150GSA Black Beast (purchased Nov 2011- 32,372klms)
2006 K1200LT Grey
(Purchased 2008, 7,350 mls) Trade in on 2016 RT at 80,600miles
1975 Norton John Player Replica (Sold When I got Married)
1973 Norton Interstate
1965 Atlas 750
1971 Triumph Trail Blazer(Rode from London to Sydney Aust, no maps for that)


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.





Bighopper is offline  
post #15 of 15 Old May 1st, 2009, 8:43 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
bowdon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: St-Lazare, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 514
Re: pictures of Lt wired for a trailer!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighopper
Very satisfying when you get it to work. I like your idea of doing a write up with pictures, it certainly has helped me do some of the electrical jobs on my 06 LT this winter.
Can you take the carrier off the trailer & put your QUAD on , now that would be a useful trailer out here in Alberta
You should purchase the LARGER trailer at HF for the Quad!!!! HF now makes a homemade cargo trailer ( just like the one I finished!!! for around $ 450.00 US, check the web site!!! Nice looking rig!!

The only problem I had/have is the 2.04" bearing buddies don't fit!!! They are loose and fall off. I packed the axle full of grease and just put the caps back on. Should not be a problem, but will be bring a grease gun along on any long trips!!!

Anyone need a set of bearings buddies, 2.04" and 1.98" CHEAP!!!!

Bowdon
bowdon is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No Brake light on trailer jaskjb Trailers, Sidecars, & Trikes 5 Sep 18th, 2008 11:09 pm
LT goes for a ride ... on a trailer. Colyn Bike Talk 19 Jun 22nd, 2008 1:42 am
Triked her out Mel Trailers, Sidecars, & Trikes 14 Jan 22nd, 2008 8:19 pm

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome