dauntless wiring HELP!!!! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Mar 28th, 2009, 11:11 am Thread Starter

Exclamation dauntless wiring HELP!!!!

Hi all;

I received the Dauntless hitch from a member Friday.

I am in the process of trying to understand the wiring harness I received with the hitch( picture below).

Fromtop left: the covered 4 wires( middle of the picture), I assume go to the plug on the hitch. The long red wire (seems like it has a fuse and is connected to the neg side of the battery)?? and it has two wire that clip somewhere ( middle right side) to the wires on the bottom left, goes to the lights?? has two plugs that look like they fit the two red wire plugs on the black box that has the red wire going to the neg battery side????

The other 4 wires (bottom left are for the lights on the rear??

I have a drawing but hard to understand. It seems like there is a few more wires then on the drawing.

The hitch looks good and was easy to install, its the wires!!!

If ANYONE can help, would be much appreciated!!!

Can't ride till I get this hooked up!!!

Picture attached.

Regards,
Bowdon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0043.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	1,010.3 KB
ID:	22386  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Mar 28th, 2009, 11:46 am

Re: dauntless wiring HELP!!!!

Post a pic of the wiring diagram. One thing for sure is the orange wire with the fuse and connector goes to Positive battery terminal.

Dave

2003 K1200LTC Titan Silver
BMWBMW, BMWMOA, AMA, IBA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old Mar 28th, 2009, 11:53 am

The best place to "pick up" your wiring is behind the taillight,
there's a rubber grommet that you can 'push/pull" the wires trough,
the relay itself fits and is easily accessible under the passenger seat.

I suggest you print this and keep it on the bike, in case you ever have a problem.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wiring (Medium).jpg
Views:	421
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	22388  

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

Last edited by SilverBuffalo; Mar 28th, 2009 at 11:59 am. Reason: reduce size of attachment

post #4 of 6 Old Mar 28th, 2009, 12:14 pm

bowdon
I've got the mounting instructions, this is what it says about the wire harness.(k12LT).

a) The Yellow wire in the harness is for the left turn signal and it attaches to the socket where the blue wire with a red trace is attached.
b) The red wire is for the brake light. It attaches to either one of the brake light sockets where a gray and yellow wire is attached.
c) The brown wire is the Bowdoin. It attaches to either one of the taillight sockets where a grey and blue wire is attached.
d) The white wire is the ground wire. It can be attached to any one of the light sockets to the ground wire.
e) The green wire is the right turn signal. It attaches to the right turn signal socket where the blue and black wire is attached.

Suggest removing one wire at a time at the rear tail light sockets and then plugging the wire harness onto the tail light socket. The wire that was on the socket now plugs into the trailer wiring harness.

Good luck, hope this helps.
Dennis
06 LT
post #5 of 6 Old Mar 28th, 2009, 2:04 pm Thread Starter

Exclamation Re: dauntless wiring HELP!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer2up
bowdon
I've got the mounting instructions, this is what it says about the wire harness.(k12LT).

a) The Yellow wire in the harness is for the left turn signal and it attaches to the socket where the blue wire with a red trace is attached.
b) The red wire is for the brake light. It attaches to either one of the brake light sockets where a gray and yellow wire is attached.
c) The brown wire is the Bowdoin. It attaches to either one of the taillight sockets where a grey and blue wire is attached.
d) The white wire is the ground wire. It can be attached to any one of the light sockets to the ground wire.
e) The green wire is the right turn signal. It attaches to the right turn signal socket where the blue and black wire is attached.

Suggest removing one wire at a time at the rear tail light sockets and then plugging the wire harness onto the tail light socket. The wire that was on the socket now plugs into the trailer wiring harness.

Good luck, hope this helps.
Dennis
06 LT
Dennis;

The drawing I have is of the plugs only. I understand the wire colors to the light connections ( yellow, green, white and red, except the red and brown wires have two connections on them, and the white and red are into a Bosch relay and then have wire connestors at the end, and shown in the picture in my previous email. I have attached two pictures of the red and white wires going into the relay then out with wire connections on them, I assume they hook to the lights in the rear. The brown and red wires ( with the two connections, I assume they go on both lights ) red both brake lights, and brown both tailight sockets??

I don't think the relay ( square ) would bolt or ti-wrap somewhere to the frame behind the seat but the wired don't look long enough ( white is 6" long from the relay). Could I velcro the relay where the wiring plug is in the rear light?

Right???

Don
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Red wire ( 2 connectors).JPG
Views:	74
Size:	327.8 KB
ID:	22389   Click image for larger version

Name:	red and white to relay!.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	873.2 KB
ID:	22390  
post #6 of 6 Old Mar 28th, 2009, 8:20 pm Thread Starter

Question Re: dauntless wiring HELP!!!!

Hi all;

I figured it out with the help of all that emailed!!

Now just got to get the wire through the grommet ( behind the rear lights) for the plug and the batter wire with the fuse.

I saw somewhere, that I can drill a 3/8" hole near the rubber gromet to fit the wires down to the plug.

Anybody have this picture??

Regards,
Bowdon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in