Unigo Hitch - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Mar 28th, 2009, 10:36 am Thread Starter

Question Unigo Hitch

Anyone know if you can change a rear tire on an LT with a Unigo trailer hitch installed on the bike? I have not tried to remove my rear tire yet (thought I'd ask before getting hung up). With the Unigo hitch in place it appears that the rear wheel will not come out from under the U-frame of the hitch. Since the hitch was such a pain to install I'm thinking of cutting the hitch and using a coupe of pins with cross bolts to allow the back half of the hitch to be easily removed (much like the license plate plastic panel) allowing the wheel to roll straight back like it would without the hitch in place. Before I start re-designing I'd like any feed back from those out there with Unigo's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Mar 28th, 2009, 11:13 am

Re: Unigo Hitch

I believe that is correct. The hitch is in the way of removing the tire. I think even the license plate holder must be removed to get the tire off. Now, I'm not sure why I belive this--it's probably from watching the tire being changed at the dealership--I've not done it myself. I dont know why you think the hitch is such a pain to install/remove. I keep mine off until I use it, and then it goes on with the four bolts. Not too bad a job.

Larry Schumer
Salt Lake City, UT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 K1200LT (Black/Yellow) BigBee
Unigo Trailer (Black/Yellow) Stinger
post #3 of 8 Old Mar 28th, 2009, 1:16 pm Thread Starter

Well, I'm a do it myself'er and save the cash kind of guy. In 82K miles the LT has only been at the dealer once (600 mi oil change and they couldn't do that right)! I suspect the Unigo hitch tooling jig is off slightly ot it just can't accommodate the bracket position variations on the production LT's? I had to repeatedly bend the mounting brackets of the hitch in a vise to get them close to lining up. The instructions infer it will be difficult, but possible to install. If you had yours installed by others, perhaps they modified it for you? Or may be my hitch was just off? Never the less, having to remove a trailer hitch on any vehicle to change a tire is ridiculous and just poor design planning.

If truth be told I enjoy the redesign efforts making accessories better than original. I'm going to make the attempt to remove the wheel with the hitch installed just to confirm my suspicions. If the hitch does have to be removed, it will be re-engineered at that point and will never have to be removed for routine tire replacements or repairs again.

post #4 of 8 Old Mar 28th, 2009, 2:51 pm

Dauntless already builds what you're thinking about doing. clickey clickey

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #5 of 8 Old Mar 28th, 2009, 5:02 pm

I've had a Unigo hitch for the last 10 rear tires and am sorry to say that the hitch must come off but it is really quite easy to get off. Pay attention to how it comes out as I find I have to cuss a little to get it to go back in the exhaust side correctly. Let me know if you need some vocabulary words

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
'01 LTC
'99 Icon champagne
'02 KLR 650
TZ 185 2 stroke
Honda R100R beater

post #6 of 8 Old Mar 29th, 2009, 7:05 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by old1951
Since the hitch was such a pain to install I'm thinking of cutting the hitch and using a coupe of pins with cross bolts to allow the back half of the hitch to be easily removed (much like the license plate plastic panel) allowing the wheel to roll straight back like it would without the hitch in place. Before I start re-designing I'd like any feed back from those out there with Unigo's.
YES, it is a pain to install the hitch...I have had the same thoughts as you & my son likes to redesign things...I will talk to him & get his thoughts...I like the Dauntless idea.

~ron~
"00 K1200LTC
"99 R1200C
"?? Indian Scout
"02 Uni-Go

"If you always tell the truth, you never have to remember anything"
post #7 of 8 Old Mar 29th, 2009, 5:47 pm

Garage

Hey Vern, contact Capt. Tom. He has a Unigo trailer and could tell you.

Bill Reitz
Surf City, USA
'06 Storm Gray Metallic LT
post #8 of 8 Old Mar 30th, 2009, 9:45 pm

Garage

If you are having trouble taking your Unigo Hitch off and on try this remove the bushing that you bolt thru and drill out the hole a little bite to 3/8". The duck tape is to protect the bottom of the bag, use several layers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_5502.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	22429   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_5503.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	22430  

Bill Jennings, fhp
Denison, TX

BMW States
BMW years and miles, 32 years 500K+

AMA, CMA, IBA, POG, MSF, FHP, etc

'99 K1200lt
'76 R900/6
Various Vintage Dirt Bikes
-Greeves (Sold), Pentons, Hodaka, etc.

Remember you are not lost till you run out of gas!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in