Question about building a cargo trailer. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Mar 12th, 2009, 9:16 am Thread Starter

Question about building a cargo trailer.

I'm going to build a trailer. My preference is to use a kit with 12" wheels but have no reason other than " bigger is better".

Is there any real reason to go with either an 8" or 12" wheel?

I'm looking at a Harbor Freight kit with the 12" wheels, or Northern Tool with 8".

Joe Van Orsdol
Zimmerman Mn
'02 K1200LT
'94 K75S for sale
'11 DR650 Alaska Bike
'13 KTM 250XCW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Mar 12th, 2009, 9:49 am

Re: Question about building a cargo trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joevano
I'm going to build a trailer. My preference is to use a kit with 12" wheels but have no reason other than " bigger is better".

I'm looking at a Harbor Freight kit with the 12" wheels, or Northern Tool with 8".
I have had several trailers with different configurations and I have not noticed any signifigant differences that were not related to trailer weight or single vs dual wheel configuration. Lessons from my experience would be LIGHTER IS BETTER, and NOTHING IS BETTER THAN THE SINGLE WHEEL CONFIGURATION. Not that the others are bad but single wheel is better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old Mar 12th, 2009, 10:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by joevano

A few thoughts pro and con:

12" wheels will spin slightly slower than 8" - but neither will never even close get to an rpm that will outpace what the bearings are designed for.

12' wheels - due to the profile of the tire - don't have as big a footprint as the 8" - no real issue on a trailer except that the 12" may have slightly less drag, the 8" more grip in a curve.

Load rating on either is WAY above what you'll ever need. I run my 8" tires at 20 psi instead of 60. Not only does this insure full tread contact with the my light total load (#350) it also allows for more sidewall flex and better shock absorption. It also allows the tread to wear evenly.

8" tires allow you to more easily match the ride height of the frame of the HF trailer to the hitch height of the LT - an extremely important component. You usually need to flip the springs on the 12" or incorporate a bend in the neck of the hitch.

8" tires provide a lower center of gravity and less unsprung weight.

8" tires are less expensive.

12" tires somehow "look" better since they are closer in size to your motorcycle wheel circumference, although I prefer the "low slung" look of the 8".

12" tires will ride better over pot holes.

Regarding those bearings you get with either kit - toss them and buy some ISO certified Timken or SKF bearings. The Chinese ones included are absolute garbage - keep them as back ups only. The ISO rated ones will last 100K miles in a heartbeat and worth spending a few extra bucks for peace of mind.

Go here and talk motorcycle trailers until the cows come home:

http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTrailertowing

or here to look at the one I built:

http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...ler/?start=120

The trailer build pictures start about half way down the page.

Next topic: dino or synthetic grease for those new bearings...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"

post #4 of 9 Old Mar 12th, 2009, 3:27 pm

Your question immediately reminded me of riding onto a ferry boat while crossing the Tennessee River. The boat had a large rounded (almost curb-like) hump that you had to go over to get on. I don't think it would have been possible on 8" wheels.

Ron

735,834 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 84,612 miles (new)
Total BMW miles 497,451
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383
post #5 of 9 Old Mar 14th, 2009, 1:43 pm

I built the same trailer except I covered it with 1/8" aluminum diamond plate. It looked great. I also made an aluminum frame and mounted a small cooler in front of the carrier. I sold it and I don't think I have a pic of it now................I used the 8" wheels and they worked great for me...........

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #6 of 9 Old Mar 14th, 2009, 3:11 pm
Enjoy The Ride

I've never had any trouble with small trailer tires towing around town. On long highway trips I have had the least amount of problems with 13" trailer tires or larger on the highway. The smaller tires just don't like long 70 to 80 mph runs.

Most trailers you buy have no shock absorbers & the tires & wheels are not balanced. Just balancing the wheels & tires will reduce a lot of tire failures.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #7 of 9 Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 7:19 pm

Exclamation Re: Question about building a cargo trailer.

Hi guys;

You guys in the US are lucky to have a place like Harbor Freight to get trailers cheap to finish building affordable cargo trailers.

I have tried to find something like that group here ( around Montreal, or even Quebec, Ontario) and can't find anything. I found one for sale in Ontario but the guy wanted 650.00 for it!!

I did find a Sear's car roof carrier for 129.00 and a place to get some trailer parts like wheels, light kits and I think I found a new hitch part.

I might look for some 2" square tubing this weekend to get a basic cost of the frame.

Hopefully I should be able to build something ( 40" x 48" ) for around 300.00 Can!!!

Any suggestions from Canadians would be appreciated.

Regards,
Bowdon
post #8 of 9 Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 9:10 pm

Bowdon.. I searched for "bearings" in Ontario and got a bunch of "hits"... I'm guessing there are some up there 'cause I've seen you guys have wheels =) just a matter of finding the source!
post #9 of 9 Old Mar 24th, 2009, 7:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
Bowdon.. I searched for "bearings" in Ontario and got a bunch of "hits"... I'm guessing there are some up there 'cause I've seen you guys have wheels =) just a matter of finding the source!
Cfell;

I have found bearings, light kits, axles, wheels,,,,,,,,,etc....

I priced out 2'x2' square tubing and WOW!!!!

It would cost me around $ 250.00 at least for the parts!!!

I have looked at Harbor Freight trailers ( small one( 42708-4VGA 8" wheels) is $199.00) but there is no HF around!! The closest one to me is Albany NY. I will call to see if they have one, and maybe pick it up next week!!!

Saves time and costs!!!

Regards,
Bowdon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in