Trailer hauling - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Feb 6th, 2009, 4:22 pm Thread Starter

Trailer hauling

I am thinking of getting a trailer for my 2004LT for extended trips with my S.O. who can't "pack small". Anyone have any experience on hauling trailers, how the bike handles, suggestions, tips, etc? Also, would like to know if wiring is a problem. The trailer I am looking at says they only require the 5 wire connection(brake, running, left, right signals, ground) as they have all the other electrical requirements already on the trailer(a converter box). Just wondering where I pick up the 5 wires to tap into, I would guess close to the tail lights.

Thanks to all in advance.

Last edited by 2wheeljunkie; Feb 6th, 2009 at 4:32 pm. Reason: add notification request, wiring request
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Feb 6th, 2009, 4:38 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: Trailer hauling

Look HERE For a lot of info. I pull a Bushtec Turbo2 and I have never felt it back there. I have about 10,000 miles only pulling it but it is great. SilverBuffalo AKA Hans on this forum has pulled a Bushtec well over 100,000 miles and he can tell you more.

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 15 Old Feb 6th, 2009, 5:04 pm

I also have a Turbo 2 Bushtec. I have about 5000 miles towing it behind my 02 LT. I also have about 20000 or more towing the same trailor behind my past bikes, Honda VTX, Honda Gold Wing etc. The trailor always pulls like it isn't there until you pull up to the gas pump, then you can tell it was there. The wiring is in my case was all done under the trunk and SO seat. I did the wiring myself so it can't be that hard.

Good luck, you will enjoy the extra storage room, and the ability to make longer trips.

post #4 of 15 Old Feb 7th, 2009, 1:46 am

Garage

I have been towing trailers for 6 years and the bike now has 80000km I am currently towing a cub camper trailer not always with the wife on board but some tips. don't cut into "round a bouts" or corner as you would solo, go round wide. don't slip the clutch to take off, avoid stopping on steep grades, and remember it takes longer to stop, no matter how good your ABS is and lastly the more room you have for storage ,the more crap you seem to take and never use .
I have read a lot on trailer wiring I found all the knowledge here, but I originally cut into the loom above the right pannier and wired my plug in there and have never experienced any problems with electrics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1480.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	21736  

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #5 of 15 Old Feb 7th, 2009, 12:04 pm

I have a uni-go have put 20000 kms no issues, that way you keep handling features of the bike, have had it up at 100 miles per hour while towing, no issues, do not even know its there, we have 4 bags, towels, shoes all packed in. We hotel it this way. My wife has trouble packing small as well, Its the hair drier and the extrension cord that are the pain, just kidding about the cord . Made a rack out of used bike parts that secures to the neck of the trailer, has helmet locks and cares the tool bag/tool hit bag(12x10x8) bun jeed on. takes me about 3 min to pack it up. works for us.
post #6 of 15 Old Feb 7th, 2009, 4:23 pm

+1 on the Bustec, we pack a travel bag the kind with wheels and a pull out handle. it just fits in the trailer. small stuff stuck in around it. If I can't lift it we are taking too much.. average wt. about 45 lbs. The Lt. runs empty.

Dennis
post #7 of 15 Old Feb 7th, 2009, 5:32 pm

Started pulling Bushtec Turbo with my r80RT - for about 30K miles. Then got the 02 LT, same trailer, then got the current Bushtec (bigger inside) as in the pic. Many great experiences, one of the most amazing (to us) was on US 2 in Montana, suddenly there was a sign on the road surface: "Pavement ends" - no "construction ahead" or anything else. New surface was dirt. Not gravel. A couple soft spots that we powered thru - W was convinced the Bushtec helped keep us up. Still could not feel it back there even in the soft stuff.

Ride as hard with it as without, including the twisties. When traveling long distance, the B is usually grossed out at ~350lbs.

Only way to go, in my book.

Jim Taylor
Minneapolis
07 Black LT "Dancing Heart", 03 Quantum "Ice"
02 Black LTC "Raven" (RIP 8/26/06)
08 Can-Am Spyder (hers) (#731)
post #8 of 15 Old Feb 7th, 2009, 11:00 pm

I've had my Quantum since April of 2004.

Below is a link to the discussions that I provided comments to on towing a trailer.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...493#post228493

Below are two links to Killboy.com where they photographed my LT and Bushtec trailer on the Dragon:

The first link has nine photos.

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/Orde...90011&po=11&c=

The second link has two.
You may have to hit the back button to see the first picture.

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/Orde...020001&po=1&c=
post #9 of 15 Old Feb 8th, 2009, 7:09 am

For convenience get a UNIGO! I have an ALUMA, it is a good trailer, excellent price, all aluminum construction, LED lights and you wont know its there, UNLESS you have too much stuff in it!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	86338MCT_Trailer.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	21760  

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 15 Old Feb 8th, 2009, 10:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOGILLS2
For convenience get a UNIGO! I have an ALUMA, it is a good trailer, excellent price, all aluminum construction, LED lights and you wont know its there, UNLESS you have too much stuff in it!
And I suppose you have first hand info there Floyd.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #11 of 15 Old Feb 8th, 2009, 2:37 pm

Yep I pulled it to Utah at the last CCR, had to purchase a rear tire along the way. AND, I was alone! TOO MUCH STUFF!!

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

post #12 of 15 Old Feb 8th, 2009, 4:18 pm

Quote:
Yep I pulled it to Utah at the last CCR, had to purchase a rear tire along the way. AND, I was alone! TOO MUCH STUFF!!
I can't stand it!!!

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #13 of 15 Old Feb 8th, 2009, 4:56 pm

We have 8,100 miles on our Unigo; got it a year and a half ago, and have towed it to a CCR, our big trip out west last summer, and some shorter overnight trips here and there. It's light, and gives us the extra capacity we need when two-up on multi-day trips. In addition to some soft-side luggage, we can take mesh jackets along with our standard gear, and there's room for the laptop, plus small purchases along the way. It also fits in a standard doorway so you can disconnect it and wheel it right into a hotel room if you want to.

The Bushtec is a great product and I highly recommend a factory tour. Although any Bushtec is more expensive than a Unigo, the Bushtec wins when you consider the cost per cubic foot of storage. OTOH, comparing the two is really not fair because any Bushtec model holds five times what the Unigo does (25 cf v. 5 cf).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	21762  

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]

Last edited by hschisler; Feb 8th, 2009 at 5:34 pm.
post #14 of 15 Old Feb 8th, 2009, 9:08 pm

+100 on the Unigo... have driven 20,000 miles with mine... pulling it with a 04RT... LOVE IT! Handling is perfect, even at 100 mph with 80 lbs in it. Added some hyperlites and it looks slick...

Previous poster was right, tough to compare on a $ per cu foot basis... Plus, not sure how much you really need to pull... 80+lbs... back rack... saddle bags too... there comes a point when you probably need to just consider leaving something back home or grabbing the uhaul/motorhome

I've used the Bushtec as well... while a nice trailer, it does not compare handling-wise versus the Unigo. The only downside of the Unigo would be that I've heard some complaints about recent quality from the states-side production facilities (definitely not that I've seen). If you go unigo, I'd suggest sticking with a quality used one from earlier NZ production years.
post #15 of 15 Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 9:31 am

Quote:
I'm tossing around the idea of adding a trailer to my GS. The Aluma is on my short list and, being a nOOb to trailers I'm wondering:
1) why the rear tire wears faster under load
2) if you have the MCT or the MCTXL
3) by "Too Much Stuff" do you mean you exceeded the capacity of the trailer or too much for the bike?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in