Wiring '99 K1200LT rear lights to sidecar - HELP! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jan 18th, 2009, 1:52 pm Thread Starter

Wiring '99 K1200LT rear lights to sidecar - HELP!

I am installing a sidecar on my 1999 K1200LTC and need to wire in lighting for the rear light (brake, turn, running) on the 'car.

Per my research I have learned:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jan 18th, 2009, 2:04 pm Thread Starter

Re: Wiring '99 K1200LT rear lights to sidecar - HELP!

Must have hit the wrong key and my message posted! So to continue, I have learned:

1. Wiring access is available by removing right rear light assembly on bike
2. Pre-2003's require no special adapters (relays, etc.) in order to splice in
to the existing wires
3. The brake, turn-signal and running lights are on separate wires

I plan to utilize a flat four-prong trailer wire plug to connect the bike wiring to the sidecar wiring. Does this make sense or will this standard size plug wiring be too heavy? My idea is that I can wire the three "hot" wires plus a ground wire thru this connecter.

Also, should I leave the right turn signal on the bike unwired so the only right turn signal will be on the sidecar?

Any and all suggestions concerning wiring sizes, means of connection, etc. are welcome.

Thanks.
post #3 of 9 Old Jan 18th, 2009, 2:34 pm

Most folks go to the wiring behind the LT tail light assembly. You can run the wires back through the grommet with the factory wiring. Fishing things through can be a trial but it can be done without having to remove the side case. You may also want to consider relay isolators. Some folks do and some folks don't but ultimately it is your call.

Here is the wire color coding:

The brake light wire is Grey with a Yellow stripe
The running light wire is Grey with a Blue stripe
The right turn signal wire is Blue with a Black stripe
The left turn signal wire is Blue with a Red stripe
The ground wire is Brown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

Last edited by jwd98056; Jan 18th, 2009 at 5:58 pm.

post #4 of 9 Old Jan 18th, 2009, 3:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobfromSWOhio
2. Pre-2003's require no special adapters (relays, etc.) in order to splice in
to the existing wires

I plan to utilize a flat four-prong trailer wire plug to connect the bike wiring to the sidecar wiring. Does this make sense or will this standard size plug wiring be too heavy? My idea is that I can wire the three "hot" wires plus a ground wire thru this connecter.
While it is true you can splice directly into the wiring there are other reasons to consider relay isolators. The wire gauges selected in the factory wiring was chosen to provide a certain voltage at a certain load plus a little margin. If you power more lights on the same wiring there will be more current draw and more voltage drop along the wire. This results in less voltage at the LT light and even lower voltage available at lighting that is being added on. The end result is all the lighting will be dimmer. How much dimmer depends on the extra load.

Another reason is to isolate your added on circuits from the LT circuits. If there is a short in the hack wiring the LT lighting will not be affected.

Actually there are four hot wires, left turn, right turn, running light and brake. Some people would use a four wire plug but then they have to use chassis as ground. BMW does not use chassis grounds and wires the all ground returns to the battery (brown wires are everywhere). BMW has no electrical bonding specification for chassis components. Chassis grounds are hit or miss.

On my trailer wiring I ran relay isolators on all four signal wires and I ran a heavier gauge ground wire from the battery. Call me anal retentive.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)

Last edited by jwd98056; Jan 18th, 2009 at 5:56 pm.
post #5 of 9 Old Jan 18th, 2009, 6:30 pm Thread Starter

JD:

Thanks for the information; it was exactly what I was looking for. What size relays do you recommend? Can they be purchased locally or do you have a good source on the web for ordering? Any "trick" connecters that will make the job easier or is it simply splice, solder and shrink tube?

Thanks again.

Bob from SWOhio
post #6 of 9 Old Jan 18th, 2009, 8:10 pm

The wiring in the tail light sockets are terminated in spade lugs so you can use the 2:1 spade lug adapters on some if not all of the connections. I don't remember which spade lug adapters you need so you will need to look at the connectors unless someone else volunteers the information.

Any automotive 15A-30A relay will work but it really depends on the load. If you plan on using the running light circuit to wire in a power socket for heated clothing or whatever then you probably want a 25A or 30A relay for that circuit. 15A is good for all the other light only circuits. If you want to save space there are micro relays that are about 1/3 the size of standard automotive relays. HERE is a link to a TYCO 25A micro ISO relay but they make a variety of amperage relays. Just search for "micro relay" on the TYCO site or "micro ISO relay" in Google. I actually bought a batch of 25A micro ISO relays and sockets on eBay so I haven't looked into web suppliers. Most automotive stores should carry them or should be able to order them.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)

post #7 of 9 Old Jan 20th, 2009, 8:47 am Thread Starter

JD:

Thanks, again, for the help. Probably will be having more questions this spring as I really get into this job. Also, I am considering eliminating the bike battery and utilizing an auto battery in the sidecar. Have you done this?

Bob
post #8 of 9 Old Jan 20th, 2009, 7:33 pm

I don't have a hack just a trailer. You will probably want to go to larger gauge wires then what is on the LT battery now to make up for the extra voltage drop in the longer wires. If you use standard automobile battery cables you should be good to go.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)

post #9 of 9 Old May 30th, 2009, 5:14 pm

I saw some micro relays on Ebay. They have 4 or 5 wires. How are they wired in? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in