Toy Hauler - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Oct 26th, 2008, 5:07 pm Thread Starter

Toy Hauler

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this.

I'm thinking about getting a toy hauler. My wife and I are looking to travel a lot farther and more often so I'm considering getting one of these things. It would be great to blast out 1500 or moire miles and share the driving for a non stop trek somewhere, unload the bike and get a full weeks worth of riding before having to pack up and blast home again.

I drive a Jetta and really don't want to have to drive a truck just to pull a trailer so I'm thinking that a hauler that you can drive would be a good place to start looking. A search for toy haulers brings up the tow behind trailer so I'm wondering if this type is called something else.

I know a few of you have these things so I'd like a little input as to what your thoughts are on them. Any replies would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Oct 26th, 2008, 5:31 pm

Re: Toy Hauler

Sounds like you're looking for a "Funmover?" These are RV's with a built in garage area in the back with powered lifts. Weekend Warrior and a few others make some nice models, but none are inexpensive. They are all well apointed and I believe the biggest differences are between gas or diesel models.
post #3 of 11 Old Oct 26th, 2008, 5:37 pm

Probably looks like this: Four Winds.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."

post #4 of 11 Old Oct 26th, 2008, 6:15 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

Before you buy, rent one and see if it is what you want. Don't make a $60K mistake.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy

Last edited by RaffyK; Oct 26th, 2008 at 6:57 pm.
post #5 of 11 Old Oct 26th, 2008, 6:25 pm Thread Starter

That was the plan. But thanks for the concern and heads up. That would be an expensive "Why the hell did I buy this thing?"

Also thanks for the info on the site and the "trade name". I've found all sorts of stuff thanks to you.
post #6 of 11 Old Oct 27th, 2008, 11:15 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgshaffer
That was the plan. But thanks for the concern and heads up. That would be an expensive "Why the hell did I buy this thing?"

Also thanks for the info on the site and the "trade name". I've found all sorts of stuff thanks to you.
I would think your timing on this purchase is ideal. RV prices have dropped through the floor. Negotiate hard.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #7 of 11 Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 10:57 pm

Renting the motorized toy haulers is a very expensive proposition. Before you buy one, go to one of the larger RV shows. Most of the bigger names are there with various models of toyhaulers.
Going to the Harrisburg RV show saved me a lot of hassel and money. I bought an '06 Funmover, with Duramax diesel and power lift gate. It is much easier to load touring bikes with the lift gate than it is with a ramp door.
You may also want to check out Toyhauler Magazine. It's a bi monthly magazine that covers towable and motorized toyhaulers.
Here's a plus to buying that big RV! If you itemize your federal income taxes, the interest that you pay on your RV loan is tax deductible if the RV has a kitchen, bathroom and bedroom. This plus the long term financing I got made it affordable for me.

Pat
post #8 of 11 Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 6:45 pm Thread Starter

I pulled the trigger on a like new 2005 Thor 31C with only 14,000 miles. I bought it more because of the previous owners and their meticulous attention to the maintenance of this RV more than anything else. This thing is in perfect condition.

Our first trip is already on the books. Savannah Georgia from Christmas to New Years with the RT following closely in the garage!

Thanks to all of you that chimed in to share your thoughts. I researched this decision more than marrying my second ex-wife!

post #9 of 11 Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 8:49 pm

Suhwheet!

... a smart buy.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #10 of 11 Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 9:04 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Wow, hard to believe it's used. The thing looks like it just rolled out of the factory! Congrats.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #11 of 11 Old Dec 4th, 2008, 3:15 pm

Get a small single axle trailer, pull it behind the Jetta, I have owned 3 motor homes, they are a PITA I even had a 42' Newell, have to work on the things all the time. Save money, buy a Trailer.....

Stay in a Motel.......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in