Uni-GO to Bushtec - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Oct 10th, 2008, 1:20 pm Thread Starter
Gold Supporter

Uni-GO to Bushtec???

Due to all the stuff I have to haul for teaching my classes my Uni-Go will not work out. I just found a great deal on a nice Bushtec that I hope I can get, but the "Purse Strings" said "No way in hell unless you sell the Uni-Go first" so anyone looking for a real nice Uni-go...

http://www.bmwlt.com/classifieds/sho...hp/product/995

All you Bushtec owners, am I making a mistake? The Uni-go will not hold all the equipment and electronics I need to haul around and I know the Bushtec will, but does it pull as easy as the Uni-Go? I know I won't be able to roll it into the hotel room, much less the elevator, and I know my wife is not going to allow it to sit in the kitchen for several days as I pack it, so I am loosing those advantages, but am I loosing any others?

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Lonewuff; Oct 10th, 2008 at 2:06 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Oct 10th, 2008, 9:18 pm

Re: Uni-GO to Bushtec

The Bushtec is a GREAT trailer. The suspension system is adjustable to the weight you carry, the larger wheels run quiet and true, it will carry 24 cu/ft. of stuff, and you will NOT know its there. No bounce, no sway, no problems.

I have had it loaded with 150 lbs of camera gear, and on another trip even more weight of mountain climbing equipment.

Just pack it carefully and pump up the suspension to match the load.

I can't say enough good things about the product or the manufacturer!

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

post #3 of 13 Old Oct 11th, 2008, 1:56 am
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile Re: Uni-GO to Bushtec

+ 1 " The Bushtec is a GREAT trailer "
As above, but do remember to distribute the load correctly. 10% - 15% of the total weight, as a hitch load. Been towing now for 40,000 and still weigh the hitch with a scale just to check, prior to coupling. Other than inertia due to its weight, once under way, absolutely no issues. We pull a Quantum Sports.

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2

post #4 of 13 Old Oct 11th, 2008, 9:17 am

Wish I had the resource to take your Uni-GO off your hands. The timing is wrong.

I found an ALUMA trailer, that pulls quite well, I pulled it to CCR08, with no real issues. The price of the Aluma trail is a fraction of what the bushtec cost. Less that 2K for a new one. All aluminum with torsion suspension.

Just a suggestion!

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

post #5 of 13 Old Oct 11th, 2008, 9:54 am
Lifetime Supporter

or you could do what I did. Harbor Freight trailer with car top carrier for under $600. With hitch and wiring it was $850. Used it to haul 2 spare wheels w/tires, 3 FD's and a case of Shiner Bock to CCR. No issues.

dan
post #6 of 13 Old Oct 11th, 2008, 2:27 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Jerry You can't go wrong with the Bushtec. They are pricey but in my opinion they are the best. I've pulled it in the Rockies at over 10,000 feet in the rain through twisties with no problem. If you want I'll pull it down to the RTE next Sunday and let you take a spin to see for your self.

Stevie Shreeve

Last edited by katnapinn; Oct 11th, 2008 at 7:22 pm.
post #7 of 13 Old Nov 5th, 2008, 9:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOGILLS2
Wish I had the resource to take your Uni-GO off your hands. The timing is wrong.

I found an ALUMA trailer, that pulls quite well, I pulled it to CCR08, with no real issues. The price of the Aluma trail is a fraction of what the bushtec cost. Less that 2K for a new one. All aluminum with torsion suspension.

Just a suggestion!
Which Aluma did you go with???

I'm looking at the MCTXL for uber carrying space.

post #8 of 13 Old Nov 6th, 2008, 10:28 pm

Below are links to the Killboy.com site.

Pulled a Bushtec through Deal's Gap, the Cherohala Skyway and the Blue Ridge Parkway several times without any issues.

Makes the trip every year between Fayetteville, NC and Hiawassee, GA for the GA Mountain Rally.

April 2004, 2 x pictures

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/Ord...B020000&po=0&c=

They caught me pulling my Bushtec Quantum on another foray
through Deals Gap in August of '05.

Pictures #12-#20.

#19 and #20 has the LT leaned over in the turn, while the trailer tracks flat.

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/Ord...090011&po=11&c=

My opinion, it's been easily worth the cost for me.
post #9 of 13 Old Nov 6th, 2008, 10:32 pm

post #10 of 13 Old Nov 7th, 2008, 8:30 am Thread Starter
Gold Supporter

LT Pilot,

You just answered one of my biggest concerns about the switch. That was the biggest advantage to the UniGo (except of bringing it inside the motel) was being able to run the twisties. Do you have a rotating hitch on your scoot or is this the normal Bushtec hitch?

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #11 of 13 Old Nov 7th, 2008, 8:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewuff
LT Pilot,

You just answered one of my biggest concerns about the switch. That was the biggest advantage to the UniGo (except of bringing it inside the motel) was being able to run the twisties. Do you have a rotating hitch on your scoot or is this the normal Bushtec hitch?
You can 'Run the Twisties' better with the Bushtec! It won't miss a beat, nor with it skip out or bounce like the Uni-Gos have been reported to do.

I've passed many a sport bike, fully loaded towing the Bushtec on roads like Chief Joseph, The Beartooth, Idaho SR 75, The Cherohala, and others.

Don't be fooled, the Bushtec is the best handling trailer on the market.

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

post #12 of 13 Old Nov 7th, 2008, 11:45 am

Re: Uni-GO to Bushtec???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewuff

All you Bushtec owners, am I making a mistake?
Just to let you know my 1995 Turbo II does sway a bit. In order from the most swaying to the least is.......Worst with cooler on, next in heavy traffic at higher speeds, next riding solo and the least swaying happens with a passenger on board. And yes I have tried every possible tongue weight with no apparent change. The newer Turbo II's and maybe all there trailers now come with a 8" longer Tongue. They told me it is because the newer bikes have longer wheel base, but if you look at the wheel base of an RT it is the same as many 80's bikes. An RT has a lot shorter wheelbase than a goldwing. I think they just had a design problem and finally fixed it in 1997. I still like the trailer but need to solve the swaying problem so will probably be adding 10" to the tongue length.
post #13 of 13 Old Nov 7th, 2008, 8:42 pm

Bushtec heim joint rotates 360 degrees,
so stays level regardless of lean angle of motorcycle.
Independent air shock suspension
so trailer doesn't bounce.
Trailer doesn't really affect my cornering speeds.
You can easily forget that you have a trailer behind you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in