Sidecars ?? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Oct 5th, 2008, 4:55 pm Thread Starter

Sidecars ??

Any body out there ride with a sidecar ?
Does a BMW lend itself well to being strapped to one?
I had a German made sidecar,a1957Steib on my KZ900 for many years.
Yeah a real odd couple huh ?
But it was alot of fun.Used to lace the back tire with poly rope for traction in the winter and pull the boys on their sleds when the streets were snow covered. Live in a small town so I could get away with doin it.
Never neaded any tools to put it on or take it off.
Joe.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Oct 5th, 2008, 8:31 pm

Re: Sidecars ??

Joe,
Welcome to "Sidecars"! I have my K1200LT with a Hannigan KLT sidecar and really like it. In addition for 2 wheeling I ride my K1100LT and also a KLR-650 for "outback" fishing and hunting type riding. There are a few sidecarists on this forum and hopefully they will begin typing.................. lottsa useful info.
My Hannigan fits the K1200LT like a glove and Dave Keesee did the perfect match-up there at the Murray, Kentucky factory a year and half ago. It never fails to drawn a crowd where ever I am at.

It has the steerlite (decreased trail) mod and "tilt" so it is feather lite to control and with the tilt one can "trim" kinda like aileron/ rudder trim but in sidecar speak.... for different speeds/ road crown and super elevation of road turn radii etc.

So you can see I am a total "sidecar" advocate. Many advancements since the early Bmw's/ sidecars that so many of us saw over in Europe 40+ years ago. (How else can your wife have so much comfort ((intercom, music etc )) and still tell you the speed limit is.............. XX)!

Carl

K1200LT w/ KLT s/c
K1100LT w/ ECC
KLR-650

N9BMN
FD <> 4%
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

bmwmoa 100984

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old Oct 6th, 2008, 7:50 am

Not just modern BMW's but older Airhead models make great rigs as well. I have an '83 R100 Sidecar that's set up for long distance touring/camping, whatever. Over 84,000 miles on her and she's still running strong. Easy to maintain and fun as heck!

BeemerRiderBob
Dallas/Ft. Worth

'82 R100 Sidecar
'91 R100 GS BumbleBee
'93 R100 GS/PD
'02 K1200 LTC- KIA 09/04/07
'03 KTM 450 Exc (living in Colorado)
'08 R1200 GS Adventure (Joy)

Only 41% of the World Left to Visit!

post #4 of 7 Old Oct 6th, 2008, 8:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourdog
Joe,
Welcome to "Sidecars"! I have my K1200LT with a Hannigan KLT sidecar and really like it. In addition for 2 wheeling I ride my K1100LT and also a KLR-650 for "outback" fishing and hunting type riding. There are a few sidecarists on this forum and hopefully they will begin typing.................. lottsa useful info.
My Hannigan fits the K1200LT like a glove and Dave Keesee did the perfect match-up there at the Murray, Kentucky factory a year and half ago. It never fails to drawn a crowd where ever I am at.

It has the steerlite (decreased trail) mod and "tilt" so it is feather lite to control and with the tilt one can "trim" kinda like aileron/ rudder trim but in sidecar speak.... for different speeds/ road crown and super elevation of road turn radii etc.

So you can see I am a total "sidecar" advocate. Many advancements since the early Bmw's/ sidecars that so many of us saw over in Europe 40+ years ago. (How else can your wife have so much comfort ((intercom, music etc )) and still tell you the speed limit is.............. XX)!
Hey Carl,
I ran a GW with a Champion sidecar for about 7 years awhile back. Then the wife got all fixed up with new hips and knees and was able to once again ride on the back of the 2 wheeler so we sold the side hack. Recently I became certified to teach the S/TEP (Sidecar/Trike Education Program), which is the 2 day training program that the state of Florida adopted for 3 wheel license endorsement. This experience has renewed my interest in sidecars and I have a few questions that you or others might be able to answer;
What does the Hannigan do to your fuel mileage?
What tires do you run on the LT and what's the mileage?
What was the approximate cost for the steering geometry changes?
What's the total overall width and weight of bike and sidecar?

Any info you could share with me would be appreciated.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #5 of 7 Old Oct 6th, 2008, 10:56 pm

Lynn,
Good on the S/Step effort there because we need more of you! Glad your wife is doing great! I think the G/W would be an excellent tug for a sidecarist. The K1200LT is also a great tug with a decided advantage for fuel mileage. Every time I compare to G/W I am ahead of the wingers in economy.................. same speeds and conditions etc.
Over thousands of miles 99 K1200LT has averaged 50 mpg as a 2 wheeler. Now as a sidecar machine with the Hannigan KLT with most miles with the hard top on and the bikes windshield at mid-height (oem tall screen) and keeping my speeds in check ie 60-65 cruise and shifting always at the low end of the rpm (I frequently will shift into 5th at 27 or 28 hundred rpm resulting in an immediate drop of 500 and that amazing 80 ft/lbs of torque simply accelerates the 1100 lb + my 170 lb easily and away we go.). Even with the FD ratio the 99 has vs the newer ones I do not slip the clutch at all even with my KLT fully loaded with fishing and camping gear. Anecdotally I frequently get 42-43 mpg even though my gwt is way over 1200 lbs.
I think Lynn, (and other readers) riders fail to realize the efficiency of having the rig in trim. Tire wear is greatly reduced and "hands-off" driving then is a delight which is guaranteed regardless of doing 20 or 80+ and of course the fuel savings will pay dividends to mitigate the 850 dollars for the steerlite mod which takes the 4" trail of the oem and reduces it by half.
You asked the width of the rig. It has a 58" center of bike tread to center of the s/c wheel tread. It easily fits on my Aluma m/c trailer which is a 1/4 shy of the max road width of 102" to the outside of the rubber wheels. I can't remember the inside clear span of the wheel wells but I can measure it tomorrow.
Incidentally, I am running my engineering tests of my simple design for the Final Drive Warning Light System (FDWLS). It is the Red Light and Warning Buzzer you DON'T want to hear! Once I finallize it I probably will print it up and offer it free so others can build it (or not). All the parts can be bought locally.

Carl

K1200LT w/ KLT s/c
K1100LT w/ ECC
KLR-650

N9BMN
FD <> 4%

bmwmoa 100984

post #6 of 7 Old Oct 25th, 2008, 9:16 am

I too purchased a Hannigan sidecar to my LT and love it. Allthough expensive, with custom color, steer-lite and camber control, installation...it was around $ 9000.00, the added feeling of safety and comfort, the tremendous room for carrying things, I feel it was worth it. Not a lot of loss on gas milage and I can easily push the rig by hand with a total weight of 1150 lbs. Dubbed in my neighborhood as a "batmobile" it makes for a great looking rig and offer complete protection against the elements and with the reclining seat, one can easily take a nap in it on a long jurney. A bit bumpy--my riders say but not uncomfortable.
post #7 of 7 Old Oct 25th, 2008, 8:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourdog
Lynn,
Good on the S/Step effort there because we need more of you! Glad your wife is doing great! I think the G/W would be an excellent tug for a sidecarist. The K1200LT is also a great tug with a decided advantage for fuel mileage. Every time I compare to G/W I am ahead of the wingers in economy.................. same speeds and conditions etc.
Over thousands of miles 99 K1200LT has averaged 50 mpg as a 2 wheeler. Now as a sidecar machine with the Hannigan KLT with most miles with the hard top on and the bikes windshield at mid-height (oem tall screen) and keeping my speeds in check ie 60-65 cruise and shifting always at the low end of the rpm (I frequently will shift into 5th at 27 or 28 hundred rpm resulting in an immediate drop of 500 and that amazing 80 ft/lbs of torque simply accelerates the 1100 lb + my 170 lb easily and away we go.). Even with the FD ratio the 99 has vs the newer ones I do not slip the clutch at all even with my KLT fully loaded with fishing and camping gear. Anecdotally I frequently get 42-43 mpg even though my gwt is way over 1200 lbs.
I think Lynn, (and other readers) riders fail to realize the efficiency of having the rig in trim. Tire wear is greatly reduced and "hands-off" driving then is a delight which is guaranteed regardless of doing 20 or 80+ and of course the fuel savings will pay dividends to mitigate the 850 dollars for the steerlite mod which takes the 4" trail of the oem and reduces it by half.
You asked the width of the rig. It has a 58" center of bike tread to center of the s/c wheel tread. It easily fits on my Aluma m/c trailer which is a 1/4 shy of the max road width of 102" to the outside of the rubber wheels. I can't remember the inside clear span of the wheel wells but I can measure it tomorrow.
Incidentally, I am running my engineering tests of my simple design for the Final Drive Warning Light System (FDWLS). It is the Red Light and Warning Buzzer you DON'T want to hear! Once I finallize it I probably will print it up and offer it free so others can build it (or not). All the parts can be bought locally.
Carl,
Thanks for your response to my earlier questions. I don't know why I missed seeing it earlier but I just found it this evening. Perhaps another senior moment on my part. Anyway, I appreciate the feedback. The Champion that I had on my old GW was set up with the linear actuator so that I could adjust the lean out and it was easy to tune it for hands off straight line riding on most any road and with various loads in the chair. I did not modify the front end geometry because I used to remove the side car for my daily commute back and forth to work. As a result with side car attached it took considerable effort to guide the rig through the twisties. Even with that it was still a fun setup. Don't know if I'm ready to give up 2 wheeling right now and with the current economic situation money is a little tight. However, my recent experience with S/TEP and your feedback has wet my appetite. Thanks again for the info.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in