Uni-go Info and Looking for Advice - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old Jan 4th, 2006, 10:02 pm Thread Starter

Uni-go Info and Looking for Advice

Production Update : Uni-go.us says they have been promised a final price list by this weekend and they should be taking orders either this weekend or early next week.

Looking for Advice: For any of the Uni-go and other trailer owners on the forum, I have heard a couple of negative comments about single wheel trailers. One is that when the LT goes turtle so does the trailer and this usually means damage to the trailer. The other comment is that they are almost impossible to back up. I am torn between the Uni-go (or possibly the competitor from Dauntless that is said to be available by this Spring) single wheel trailer and the ZZ 2000LT two wheeled trailer. I have heard that there is really little difference in LT handling with either one wheel or two wheel trailers so other than capacity/weight and the items mentioned above the only other issues I can think of are track width of the trailer in corners and possibly portability. I am not so concerned with brand names but more with the strengths and weaknesses of the two basic designs. Any web wisdom on these issues and their impact on touring with a trailer and still having fun while towing one?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old Jan 5th, 2006, 1:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd98056
Production Update : Uni-go.us says they have been promised a final price list by this weekend
Been promised by whom? If they are the new manufacturers, how come they don't know the prices they want to charge?
post #3 of 39 Old Jan 5th, 2006, 1:28 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Remember this is America, David. The retail price has nothing to do with the manufacturing costs. It has everything to do with how much the marketing guys think they can get for the item. That takes some time to figure out.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 39 Old Jan 5th, 2006, 1:37 am

Not unique to the US of course. So you reckon this is just an internal, departmental thing? I'm still a little surprised. I'd have thought the retail price would have been a central element in their business plan.
post #5 of 39 Old Jan 5th, 2006, 7:56 am Thread Starter

http:\\www.Uni-go.us is just a distributor not the manufacturer. The Manufacturer is Schoolhouse Motorcycle Accessories located in Lebanon, Ohio. Very recently Schoolhouse took over the http://www.uni-go.com/ domain name from the original manufacturer in New Zealand, but they don't have much information on the site yet. I suspect it will be updated when they release their pricing information to their distributors.

I talked with the owner of Dauntless Motors yesterday and he says their single wheel trailer will look similar to the Uni-go but it will be about 1 cubic foot larger and the body can be removed from the chassis with some kind of quick disconnect system. This will allow other bodies to be attached, such as a golf club rack accessory or whatever else they can think up. Dauntless already manufactures the Zenith two wheel trailers.

Maybe they will make a body with a wheel chock mounted on it so I can tour with my HD in comfort .

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)

Last edited by jwd98056; Jan 5th, 2006 at 8:08 am.
post #6 of 39 Old Jan 5th, 2006, 2:55 pm

Quote:
Looking for Advice: For any of the Uni-go and other trailer owners on the forum, I have heard a couple of negative comments about single wheel trailers. One is that when the LT goes turtle so does the trailer and this usually means damage to the trailer. The other comment is that they are almost impossible to back up.
They will fall over with the bike, so don't do it.

They are hard to back up, you have to watch in your rear view mirrors and react as soon as you see the Unigo. I'm very proficeint with trailers using la trucka, but the Unigo is a different story. It can be done if nothing fancy is required. Since the trailer doesn't weigh much, even loaded, I have Sandar the mag trained to pick the dayem thang up and straighten out trajectory when needed.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #7 of 39 Old Jan 5th, 2006, 3:56 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the input Grif. I could probably live with a little reverse navigation problem. I have heard from enough people that most well designed two wheel trailers do not hinder the motorcycles handling characteristics any more than a single wheeled trailer. I think the one issue with this that I have is the weight difference. The unloaded weight of most two wheel trailers is more than the Uni-go fully loaded. So the real questions, at least for me, are does an extra 100-200 lbs reduce the performance (fun factor) significantly and how much capacity do I really need?

My touring will boil down to two scenarios: Single-up with a combination of camping and an occasional motel or double-up doing motels. Lying on the ground is no longer an option for my bride of many years. Double-up touring will be much less frequent than single-up. As an example my wife is flying out to CCR 2006.

Seeing as many on the forums will probably say they don't need no stinkin' trailer to do single-up touring how much capacity do I really need? On the flip side I am sure there are just as many that would say you can never have enough capacity, particularly those that carry enough spare parts to build a spare LT .

My gut tells me the single wheel design and capacity are a better fit for my particular needs but maybe others have gone down this path and either regretted it or traded up to a higher capacity two wheel design. I am just hoping to avoid going through the process of buying two trailers to get to what I really need.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)

post #8 of 39 Old Jan 6th, 2006, 4:34 am

Quote:
http://www.Uni-go.us is just a distributor not the manufacturer. The Manufacturer is Schoolhouse Motorcycle Accessories located in Lebanon, Ohio.
Ah OK, thanks. That explains why Jay Schwantes didn't answer my international order enquiry.

My take on it is this: if at all possible, I'd rather not tow anything behind my bike. In this part of the world (and Europe generally), trailers with bikes are very unusual. But if I MUST have the extra storage capacity (when on an extended camping holiday with partner, for example), then a 1-wheel trailer (especially a cool-looking one like the Uni-Go) is definitely preferable to a 2-wheeler. More of a soul- than brain-thing with me, although one practical advantage of a 1-wheeler IMO is that you should be able to avoid pot-holes more easily!

I always thought the Uni-Go should have 'bumper-strips' down the side, like on the LT's panniers, as it WILL spend some time on its side. Hopefully SMA will have this as an option.
post #9 of 39 Old Jan 6th, 2006, 5:20 am

I put Solas tape down the sides of our Unigo simply for conspicuity for at night you can't see it from the side. Also, the tail light is very poor, though I've upgraded the bulbs. I did put hyper lights on each side of the license plate.

But, for handling, the Unigo just cannot be beat. I can rip the twisties with it, not miss a beat and no one has complained that it's going too slow, fact is most the time I'm itching to pass. One time in West Texas, whilst passing some semi's at about 95 in heavy winds whilst traversing a cut, the bike began to wobble. Felt like the HD Roadking wobble (3/4" axles), I kinda stood up to see what would happen and it got worse. Folks behind me said the Unigo had left the ground and was kind of flapping back there. Richard Kuethe has reported the same thing. Wasn't scary or anything, just happened once. I think twixt the trucks, the wind, the speed and the cut, air current was so strong and the Unigo so light she just started floating. 99.9 percent of time the Unigo is rock solid and you don't know it's back there.

I only pull it when Sandar the mag is with me on a trip as the gal needs her stuff, traveling alone I use a waterproof bag on the passenger seat. I replaced the hitch pin with a locking unit so if I don't want to take it off at night whilst at a hotel it's secure. I did have to grind the circumference of the pin down to make it fit.

All in all, though, it is a great leetle trailer and I would do it again if I had to.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #10 of 39 Old Jan 6th, 2006, 11:38 am

Love the Uni-Go.
We bought it to hold two full suits of gear and misc. other stuff. Since I wear a size 52 coat and 14 boot, my gear takes up a lot of room. Wife wears size 10 boot.

The GOOD-
light weight,
don't know its there,
looks neet,
cost very little in MPG.,
easy to take into motel room, elevators & etc. No worries about security.
Big enough for a lot, but some what limited.

The BAD-
Small,
fun to back. You have to get used to backing it. In some cases, it is pretty easy to just disconnect from bike.
Hard to find tire.
Side Lighting is not there. I put a 24 LED on each side connected to the running lights and the turn signals. They stay on till the turn signals come on and then flash alternating with them.

If I needs more room, I'd look at the ZZ and Bushtech. I 've never pulled one, but from what I hear, you don't want trailer that will bounce after a bump. Neither of these will [they claim].

David Major
Charleston, SC
-2003 LT
-2007 GS Adventure. White
post #11 of 39 Old Jan 10th, 2006, 9:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmajor
...easy to take into motel room, elevators & etc. No worries about security.
That is the one thing that keeps me coming back to a Uni-Go.
post #12 of 39 Old Jan 10th, 2006, 11:58 am Thread Starter

They are now taking orders at http://unigo.us. The base price is $2250 but if you want any color except black it will be at least $205 more. Otherwise the standard accessory package is very similar to what it was before. Shipping to the lower 48 is $185. That makes the overall price for a Uni-go shipped to the lower 48 about $100 less than when they were being built in New Zealand. They are saying that delivery could be up to 8 weeks for the initial production run just because of pent up demand.

Here is the link to their order/pricing page:

https://hosts.securelook.com/summitr...rder-trail.htm

Thanks for all the feedback. I am leaning strongly towards a single wheel trailer and I am going to drive over to Dauntless Motors some time this week to talk about a hitch and to see if I can get any more information about the single wheel trailer they are gearing up to sell. What I am most interested in is if the addition of 1 cubic foot of storage space will negate some of the portability advantages of the Uni-go. I also want a Dauntless hitch but they currently say they don't have any of the hitch side Uni-go couplers. I would hope I can get one from the manufacturer but who knows at this stage of the game.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)

post #13 of 39 Old Feb 14th, 2006, 11:43 pm

There's a big differance between two-wheel and single-wheel trailers. The main one is handling. As a couple of others have stated, with the Uni-Go behind you, it does not affect your style of riding or the handling, unless maybe it is fully loaded.

The other differance is in width, and two-wheelers can be more then a nusiance at times. The Uni-Go is narrower than the bike.

Yes, the Uni-Go is small, but if you want something bigger, get a Suburban, or a Hummer.
It is small enough that we simply wheel it into the motel room and stick it in a corner.

Backing up? Well, I've never even towed a trailer with my truck, and the Uni-Go is not very difficult. Anyone who says it is difficult, just isn't trying. And if it does give you a problem, just get off the bike, lift the trailer up and move it over. Or better still, have the wife move it. Hell, it only weighs 70 pounds empty.

As for buying one, I got mine off this guy who lives on the east coast, or somewhere out there: http://www.sport-touring-trailers.com/
post #14 of 39 Old Feb 15th, 2006, 8:16 am

Thumbs up Bushtec Baby!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by legacy
There's a big differance between two-wheel and single-wheel trailers. The main one is handling. As a couple of others have stated, with the Uni-Go behind you, it does not affect your style of riding or the handling, unless maybe it is fully loaded.

The other differance is in width, and two-wheelers can be more then a nusiance at times. The Uni-Go is narrower than the bike.

Yes, the Uni-Go is small, but if you want something bigger, get a Suburban, or a Hummer.
It is small enough that we simply wheel it into the motel room and stick it in a corner.

Backing up? Well, I've never even towed a trailer with my truck, and the Uni-Go is not very difficult. Anyone who says it is difficult, just isn't trying. And if it does give you a problem, just get off the bike, lift the trailer up and move it over. Or better still, have the wife move it. Hell, it only weighs 70 pounds empty.

As for buying one, I got mine off this guy who lives on the east coast, or somewhere out there: http://www.sport-touring-trailers.com/
Let's see, where do I start?? Oh yeah, with THE TRUTH!

If you really want or need to carry more stuff, get a REAL trailer ... Like a Bushtec.

#1 - Bushtecs handle better than the LT. The suspension is marvelous. The width is inside the handlebars, if the bike will go through the hole the trailer will.

#2 - They are ez to back up.

#3 - You can carry 2 or more broken Uni-gos in one.

#4 - Security is not an issue, they are locked to your bike.

#5 - I have never felt the need to drag a loaded, wet, dirty, gritty trailer into my hotel room. We use REAL luggage and garment bags!

#6 - Until you've actually traveling on a bike WITH a cooler you can't appreciate how convienent it is to be self-sufficient.

#7 - Whether you are carrying a little or a lot - The handling is still great - Because you can adjust the air pre-load in the shocks to perfectly match the weight of the trailer.

#8 - The tires where designed for the application - will last 60,000 miles.

#9 - Ask a few Bushtec owners abojut customer support. Bushtec is family run - You own a Bushtec... you're family.

#10 - You can't believe the looks you get as you pass a bunch of bikers doing 90 in the twisties, two-up with a trailer. And, at the rest area 14 miles up the road when they finally pull in to ask you WTF, you give 'em a cold one!

Good luck with your shopping!

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

Last edited by JATownsend; Feb 15th, 2006 at 8:21 am.
post #15 of 39 Old Feb 15th, 2006, 11:25 am

and from a lover of Uni-Go....

Where do I start....

I've pulled my Uni-Go all over the country but the best part about that is I never know it's there..... I travel through corners at the same speed with or without, and at the speeds I know I can get away with (law wise) when on the flat and the best thing is I never feel that I'm towing a trailer, the worst thing is also I don't know I'm towing a trailer 'cause, no matter how hard you try, you just can't see it in the rear view mirrors. Once you learn to live with that, it's the greatest..... Mine has done a lap of Australia and it still looks and feels like new.

Daz

Never take life too seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway…..

Black (03) LT
Matching Uni-Go
Ulysses Member 30740

Growing Old Disgracefully.....
post #16 of 39 Old Feb 15th, 2006, 1:58 pm

Wink Uni-Go vs Bushtec

Well put. Could not agree with you more. ALSO, in my 70 mph getoff in Missouri two years ago, the Bushtec kept the bike from completely highsiding and probably killing me. I never leave on a long trip without it. It makes the trip easier to pack, if you think you might need it take it. Loads of room to spare.....Best to all, Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by JATownsend

If you really want or need to carry more stuff, get a REAL trailer ... Like a Bushtec.

#1 - Bushtecs handle better than the LT. The suspension is marvelous. The width is inside the handlebars, if the bike will go through the hole the trailer will.

#2 - They are ez to back up.

#3 - You can carry 2 or more broken Uni-gos in one.

#4 - Security is not an issue, they are locked to your bike.

#5 - I have never felt the need to drag a loaded, wet, dirty, gritty trailer into my hotel room. We use REAL luggage and garment bags!

#6 - Until you've actually traveling on a bike WITH a cooler you can't appreciate how convienent it is to be self-sufficient.

#7 - Whether you are carrying a little or a lot - The handling is still great - Because you can adjust the air pre-load in the shocks to perfectly match the weight of the trailer.

#8 - The tires where designed for the application - will last 60,000 miles.

#9 - Ask a few Bushtec owners abojut customer support. Bushtec is family run - You own a Bushtec... you're family.

#10 - You can't believe the looks you get as you pass a bunch of bikers doing 90 in the twisties, two-up with a trailer. And, at the rest area 14 miles up the road when they finally pull in to ask you WTF, you give 'em a cold one!

Good luck with your shopping!

Bob
post #17 of 39 Old Feb 15th, 2006, 5:38 pm

Quote:
You have a hard time distinguishing between "truth" and "opinion", don'cha Averill?!
post #18 of 39 Old Feb 15th, 2006, 6:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
You have a hard time distinguishing between "truth" and "opinion", don'cha Averill?!
No more than you do Joe.

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver

post #19 of 39 Old Feb 15th, 2006, 7:54 pm

I've never pulled a single wheel trailer, but I think the whole issue boils down to how much weight/volume your gear is along with your mission.

For a single rider I think a Unigo is more than ample to haul your extra stuff.

For two up and especially if you like to travel/camp with luxuries like a cooler, water jug, healthy snacks, nice clothes, a quality tent, air bed, shade canopy, stove, coffeemaker, etc. I think you'll find there is no substitute for the extra cubic feet and carrying capacity a two wheeler affords.

I've gone several routes in the past, towing a heavy queen sized pop up tent camper with my 76 Gold Wing, and now tow a very light 15 cu.ft homebuilt with the LT. Any time you get over 300 lbs. gross behind you your fuel mileage is going to suffer, but I've never felt the LT's handling was compromised one bit. I have gone full tilt boogie through the twisites a couple of times when solo and with the trailer moderately loaded it would not move off track an inch. I only have leaf springs for suspension.

Here's another option you may want to consider that I think is brilliantly engineered and has several advantages over the Unigo at the same price, although shipping and duties could be significant:

http://www.bagageres-genco.com/index.php

You may want to go here for some additional insight:

http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/mai...towing%2Fstart

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #20 of 39 Old Feb 15th, 2006, 7:57 pm

Quote:
No more than you do Joe.
Now you're catchin' on!
post #21 of 39 Old Feb 15th, 2006, 11:03 pm

Smile

We've pulled the Unigo for 3 years and like it alot. We tried packing the camping gear for 2 on the bike and it made an already top heavy bike very unsteady at slow speeds especially coming to a stop. Distributing the weight low down on 3 wheels works much betterl. Also the 5 cubic feet of cargo space forces me to keep it light. I value the performance of the LT in the twisties and the Unigo doesn't alter it much considering we're loaded for touring. I don't know about you, but if there is "extra" space in the trailer, I know that either I or she will find something else we can't live without to fill it. So we decided against two-wheeled trailers with more weight and capacity.Being light, it doesn't push the bike much at all when descending a steep grade. I like the fact that if the bike misses a pothole or rough spot at the side of the road the Unigo misses it too. One time the whole sheebang did fall over while we were nearly stopped. I put my butt against the seat and was able to lift the bike and trailer to an upright position again. Unigo suffered some minor scratches.
The taillight is dim and the wheel began to rub a hole in the Unigo's mud flap. I solved both problems by installing Back Off LED license plate frame. I used the stiffness of the frame to support piece of steel flat stock bent in an arch and installed under the mudflap and bolted to the license frame. Each bolt went through a piece of 1/2" cooper tubing spacer between the frame and the mudflap, so the center of the mudflap was lifted away from the tire. Stick told me that at high speeds the center of the Unigo tire would get distorted outwards and caused it to rub against the mudflap. As was mentioned earlier, if you get in a bind backing up, you or your partner can easily lift it and move it on over. When at a ground floor motel room, it is great to be able to just roll it in the room and have all your stuff right there. With the Unigo we are able to leave the topcase just about empty so there's a place for groceries on the way to the campground. Yup, it works good.
Terry
2000 Basalt KLT

Last edited by Route66; Feb 15th, 2006 at 11:13 pm.
post #22 of 39 Old Feb 16th, 2006, 1:56 am

Question Trailer Question (55mph? and maker plate)

I have a N-Line one wheel trailer and it really is a joy to ride with. For others who have trailers I have two questions.
1. Does the law require you to drive 55mph because you have a trailer?
2. Do you have a full size marker plate attached to your trailer or do you just keep it with you so that if you are pulled over you can show LEO the marker plate and registration?
post #23 of 39 Old Feb 16th, 2006, 8:35 am

Exclamation Holy Cow, what a question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovero
I have a N-Line one wheel trailer and it really is a joy to ride with. For others who have trailers I have two questions.
2. Do you have a full size marker plate attached to your trailer or do you just keep it with you so that if you are pulled over you can show LEO the marker plate and registration?
Man, good question!!

I have never had a problem, even passing LEOs, (while of course under the posted speed limit for 'Vehicles without trailers') also, I always disregard the NO TRAILERS IN LEFT LANE signs. Hmmmmm...

As a matter of fact, I completely disregard ANY sign relating to trailer restrictions, which may include motels, hotels, restaurants, parking, etc. The LT with a Bushtec is no longer than a Chevy Suburban afterall...

I don't know if I've been lucky or if cycles as tow vehicles are looked at differently. Would love to hear some responses from our resident LEOs.

As far as the plate goes, in MI, a one-time, permanent, full-size plate is issued for trailers. It is attached in the usual rear location.

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver

post #24 of 39 Old Feb 16th, 2006, 9:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovero
1. You're asking if LT riders abide by speed limits if they pull a trailer, right? I'll have to think about that for awhile.

2. In Souf Kawolina, we are not required to put tags on small trailers, behind cars, trucks or motorcycles nor do we register them. I have been through 25 states so far with the unigo, pulled over twice, never asked for a registration for the trailer and my tag on the back is an IBA tag.

FWIW

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
'01 LTC
'99 Icon champagne
'02 KLR 650
TZ 185 2 stroke
Honda R100R beater

post #25 of 39 Old Feb 16th, 2006, 7:09 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
The 55 mph thing is one of the reasons I don't have a trailer.

In answer to your question, at least in California the signs say "vehicles with trailers" so that includes motorcycles. That doesn't mean a LEO will target you for that reason, but he would be within the law to do so. I usually drive over the posted limit anyway, so I can just se getting pulled over for 75 in a 65, but being written up for 55. No thanks.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #26 of 39 Old Feb 16th, 2006, 8:12 pm

But with a Uni-go...

while getting fuel in rural area, some good ol boys came over and looked at my unigo and said "what the hell is that"? which I replied "that's the engine" and he replied " oh,...yep I see the universal joint now"

Needless to say, I got the hell out there as quick as I could...

Don G Norwood
11 R1200GSA w/DMC sidecar Radio Flyer IV
2015 G650GS, 1998 1200 C

"Oh Lord I pray, Just let me live long enough to do everything they say I have done"

Last edited by BamaLT; Feb 16th, 2006 at 8:40 pm.
post #27 of 39 Old Feb 16th, 2006, 9:01 pm

Great answer Don!
We have only pulled our Uni-go a short while now but as far as I can tell........If I hadn't known I hitched it up I would never have realized it was following.

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of the car window
Stephen Moore
02 K1200LTC Silver
02 Uni-go (skittles reborn)
1975 R75/6 Black Still running strong
BMWMOA# 122791
AMA# 711312
CCR 02,03,04,05,07,08,

post #28 of 39 Old Jun 14th, 2006, 7:50 pm

Quote:
I talked with the owner of Dauntless Motors yesterday and he says their single wheel trailer will look similar to the Uni-go but it will be about 1 cubic foot larger and the body can be removed from the chassis with some kind of quick disconnect system. This will allow other bodies to be attached, such as a golf club rack accessory or whatever else they can think up. Dauntless already manufactures the Zenith two wheel trailers.
Does anybody know if Dauntless is going to still come out with a single wheel trailer? I know they started handling the U.S. made uni-go again and wondering if because of that they may have dropped plans for their own trailer.

Carl

Euclid, Ohio
2003 Silver LTE
1971 HD XLH Sportster
post #29 of 39 Old Jun 14th, 2006, 8:41 pm Thread Starter

I was waiting for their new trailer and hadn't heard anything for several months. I called Jay about two months ago and he said that their shop forman left the company and their development schedule was on hold but they still intended to produce a design of their own. I told him I needed a trailer by August and he suggested I buy a Uni-go. So I ordered one through Dauntless and my Uni-go should be shipping some time this week according to Schoolhouse. I already installed my Dauntless hitch and their four circuit isolator wiring harness.

If you are still interested in their design progress I suggest you send Jay an e-mail from their website.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)

post #30 of 39 Old Jun 15th, 2006, 4:39 pm

Thanks for the reply Jim. I took your advice and sent an email to Jay. He replied very promptly. He said that they are still working on the design, but are not looking to introduce it till spring of 2007. Says they want to do a lot of testing on it before intro, which is understandable.

Not sure if I'll wait till then or just order a uni-go.

Thanks

Carl

Euclid, Ohio
2003 Silver LTE
1971 HD XLH Sportster
post #31 of 39 Old Jul 5th, 2006, 12:45 am

Red face Uni-Go silly question...

What keeps the Uni-Go from just 'falling over' either when you're riding or at a stop?
post #32 of 39 Old Jul 5th, 2006, 1:15 am Thread Starter

They are attached to the motorcycle with a U-joint not a ball hitch so it maintains the same vertical orientation as the motorcycle.

On a side note I cancelled my Uni-go order. The word I got last week from them is they should be able to ship my trailer in three weeks but only if I get it in black, what a crock. They still can't give me a delivery date for a color matched trailer. They appear to be having some real start up problems and they have yet to meet any of the delivery dates they quoted me. I couldn't risk not having a trailer for the trip I have planned. I am now purchasing a Zenith trailer from Dauntless. This is the same design as the Peak trailer made in Finland. Dauntless has the license to manufacture them in the US and they renamed it for some reason. At least the names are synonymous . Now I just need to figure out what to do with all the extra storage space .

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)

post #33 of 39 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 9:38 pm

Got the Uni-Go

I just got my Uni-Go. I couldn't get my color, so I will have it painted later. I got a discount because they only had one ready for someone that didn't take their's. It has all the bells and whistles- bra, light kit, plastic covering, interior carpet, bat-guns, side hook, ejector seat and combination lock. (Just kidding about the ejector seat- that's only on the bushtec). I ordered on Thursday- it was on my doorstep today (Monday).

Being the mechanically challenged type, it took me about 2 1/2 hours to put the trailer together. It makes sense when you really think about it. It would have been nice to have some basic instructions, though.

Now I have to get the hitch on the bike and have the wiring done. I'm not even going to try that one. I'm getting a local shop to do it.

The trailer is definitely bigger than what I thought. I don't know if it's because of my vertical limitations (5'8") or the fact that the people in the video were giants, but it looks big to me. I'm sure I can fill it up, though. It has me thinking just what the heck are you guys carrying in those Bushtec trailers, anyway?? If I can't carry everything I need with this trailer I should just drive my car. Well, maybe if you're riding two up, I guess...

I will try to take some installation pictures along the way if possible.
post #34 of 39 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 8:35 am Thread Starter

That's great Travis. I'm glad it worked out for you. They were telling Dauntless "possibly" a three week delivery for a black trailer and they still have not communicated with me directly. I was not offered any discount for them not being able to deliver what I ordered. After two broken promises on delivery dates I just didn't want to take the chance.

I would not have had to pay for the color matching option but I would still need to have it repainted locally. Adding that to the price of the Uno-go would have cost as much as the Zenith that I am now getting. The Zenith is a whole lot more trailer than the Uno-go, as in over three times the capacity. I guess time will tell if I went the right way. Everyone I have gotten advice from who have experience with two wheeled trailers say that handling isn't impacted so long as the overall weight is kept reasonable. If my wife starts to ride with me more I am guessing the Zenith will have been the best choice .

I am glad I am working with a local manufacturer now at least. Getting a look at the manufacturing process gave me a good feeling about the overall quality of the trailer.

The Zenith will probably save me some time over the Uno-go on the road. I won't even need to dismantle my tent, just throw it in the trailer all set up .

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)

post #35 of 39 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 9:33 pm

Hey Travis,

You'll have to let us know what you think of the fit and quality of the new U.S. Unigo. I'm hoping they've got their act together as I hope to get one for next season. I know they've been having some problems and have lost a few distributors because of them. The latest has a posting on the internet about his reasons for dropping it. See here:

http://www.muthuh.com/uni-go.shtml

Hopefully they'll work things out. I would really like to get one color matched.

Carl

Euclid, Ohio
2003 Silver LTE
1971 HD XLH Sportster
post #36 of 39 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 11:07 pm

Uni-Go problems

Carl- I saw the post you mentioned and I know exactly what they are talking about. The seal around the top has a small gap where the rubber doesn't come together. It's a little fix, but I was specifically looking for it after the post. Also, there are two bolts missing from the bottom where the Uni-Go was anchored to the shipping crate. Once you unbolt it from the crate there are no replacement screws (the crate screws would be two long). I'm not sure if water could seep up into the trailer while riding, but I will get two 1/2 screws with washers just in case.

Now, even with the discount, it's an expensive trailer and it shouldn't have any of these defects, I'm sure you'll agree. They are simple things to fix- which is why they should have been fixed before I got it.

Last, I don't know if it's because they are swamped, but there's a huge amount of room for improvement in the customer service department, too. There only seems to be one person that works there (Mark, who has an 99' LT). It's hit or miss on whether someone will answer the phone. With that said, you have to kind of figure out some things on your own. Believe me, if I figured these things out, ANYONE can! To give you the proper perspective, I don't know how to change the oil on my bike, yet.

As of right now, I'm pretty happy with the trailer. I get the hitch put on to the bike tomorrow and I hope to take some pictures of the install so others won't go through what I am with the Uni-Go.
post #37 of 39 Old Jul 19th, 2006, 8:12 am Thread Starter

I saw I mis-spelled Uni-go in my last post but I think Uno-go is more appropriate so I think that is what I will call them from now on , sorry Travis but I got to call em' like I see em' . Hopefully Schoolhouse will get their act together and survive their very rocky beginning.

I think Dauntless will be dropping them too, Carl. They have too many pissed off customers with late deliveries and quality issues. Of course Dauntless is still working on their own one wheel trailer design so I doubt their Uno-go relationship would have survived anyway.

Dauntless is just in the final stages of getting moved into a larger building and I expect they will getting their production and design activities back up to full speed. I'm sure I will be very happy with my Zenith trailer and Dauntless has been outstanding in the support department.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)

post #38 of 39 Old Aug 8th, 2006, 11:37 pm
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprdoorman
Hey Travis,

You'll have to let us know what you think of the fit and quality of the new U.S. Unigo. I'm hoping they've got their act together as I hope to get one for next season. I know they've been having some problems and have lost a few distributors because of them. The latest has a posting on the internet about his reasons for dropping it.
I ordered mine on the 8th of May.
A month ago I was told it was ready for paint,
two weeks ago they were having trouble with paint match,
today they said they were wheeling it in to the paint shop.
The order specified a delivery NO LATER than 10 August for prep for CCR.

Um... I think It ain't gonna make it. I feel bad for them, they are killing a great little product. Maybe I should go show them how to get it done.

I may have to pull the old Bushtec turbo II. More room and a cooler.
Well hell that may not be a bad thing at all!

Bob Weir KC6VHS
99 K1200LTC Canyon Red "Thank god I didn't sell her!"
06 K1200lt Magnesium Black Metallic. YEAH! Baby got new legs,
Plastic will be a bit crunchy, but... She will be road worthy soon!
MAXbmwmotorcycles.com Great price on parts and free shipping!
Saved me about $560.00+ on local parts! Thanks Max!

82 Yamaha Seca ZZzzapp (converting to electric)
Where is Bob? click here!

post #39 of 39 Old Aug 16th, 2006, 8:12 pm

Hey Bob, Did you finally get your trailer or did you give up?

Quote:
ordered mine on the 8th of May.
A month ago I was told it was ready for paint,
two weeks ago they were having trouble with paint match,
today they said they were wheeling it in to the paint shop.
The order specified a delivery NO LATER than 10 August for prep for CCR.

Um... I think It ain't gonna make it. I feel bad for them, they are killing a great little product. Maybe I should go show them how to get it done.

There was a Uni-go for sale on Ebay about a week ago and it was in the Cleveland area where I live. Went to the guys house and checked it out and he showed me that he had made several modifications to it. One in the way the supension is attached - he said he thought the factory version was a little weak. And the other was that he stiffened up how the drawbar attaches with some angled struts. Said it improved the handling and strengthened how it was attached. Put a bid in on it but lost in the last few seconds of the auction.

After, --I sent an email to Mark at Schoolhouse to see how things are progressing. Without even telling him about the modifications the seller had made, he brought up the deficiencies with the New Zealand trailer that the seller had tried to fix. He seems to be really trying to solve the problems. I'll probably give him an order late winter or early spring of 07 for next riding season.

Following are the emails exchanged (Reprinted with Mark's permission)

MY EMAIL SENT TO MARK AT SCHOOLHOUSE

>>> Alright Guys,
>>>
>>> How bought an update as to how your doing and what your plans are.
You might want to post on your site. I am very interested in purchasing a
>>> uni-go trailer -------but---- you seem to receiving quite a bit of
>>> negative chatter on the internet. Long lead times for color matching.
>>> Only black available. Leaks in the lid. Poor paint quality. There was a
>>> recent uni-go for sale on ebay and everyone wanted to make sure that it
>>> was a New Zealand made trailer before bidding on it. I've seen some
>>> posts from previous dealers that weren't too happy with the present
>>> situation.
>>>
>>> I really want one of these trailers but am very hesitant to give you an
>>> order till I know you have worked out the bugs. I understand that
>>> transferring the manufacturing of a product like this will have its
>>> problems, but it would probably be best to be upfront and let your
>>> potential customers know that you're working on the problems and what
>>> your anticipated time table is for producing problem free trailers.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Carl Bork

REPLY FROM SCHOOLHOUSE:

Hello Carl,
>> It is actually funny that people are jumping all over the NZ Uni-Gos
>> because the US version is made from left over NZ parts and all of their
>> molds and jigs. I was the US importer for Uni-Go for the last three years
>> and the problems we have had here are the same problems we fought with
>> the NZ trailers. We are in process of a redesign to eliminate the current
>> problems. The chassis has already been redesigned and is upgraded greatly
>> from the NZ version (the NZ version suspension was known to shear off
>> under heavy use and the front drawbar attachment plates would rip off.)
>> The lids leaked occasionally and the finishes would be destroyed by heat
>> in the shipping boxes. The tail fairings would warp and not fit well on
>> most of the trailers also. I have seen a lot of problems and we are
>> working to make them all go away. We are working with any customer with
>> issues on their new trailer and will make all of them right, even if it
>> means replacement of the trailer. We have also done warranty replacements on
>> numerous NZ trailers that are far out of their warranty period because it
>> is the right thing to do. The dealers are right in being unhappy, we
>> expected to be able to deliver trailers in a period of 2-3 weeks and we
>> have not been able to do so due to issues we have no control over. We
>> also cut the commissions of the dealers because most of them are just
>> websites with no shop to service the customer. If you buy a trailer from
>> a dealer you should be able to expect some form of service or support
>> from them, not just an e-mail that says "contact Uni-Go". We are working
>> to make Uni-Go the best trailer on the road on any continent and will not
>> stop until we are there. The bodies and finishes will be completely
>> upgraded in a few weeks and the Uni-Go will soon be a US trailer not a
>> mix of new and old.
>> Regards, Mark Huffman

Carl

Euclid, Ohio
2003 Silver LTE
1971 HD XLH Sportster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in