K1200LT and Hannigan Trike Conversion - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Sep 11th, 2008, 3:53 pm Thread Starter

K1200LT and Hannigan Trike Conversion

Just returned to Charleston from a great week in western Kentucky while the K1200LT was converted from a two wheeler to a three wheeler at Hannigan Motorsports. For comparison I rode the Tail of the Dragon with both versions of the bike. The twisties of Deals Gap were easier with the two wheeler but normal street driving was much easier with the three wheeler. I had the additional fuel tank added as well the foot boards.The Hannigans are very nice people as well as the entire Hannigan team. I am a very satisfied customer of the Hannigan Trike. Please see image of completed trike. Welcome any and all questions from the group.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010242.jpg
Views:	2049
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	19595  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Sep 11th, 2008, 4:33 pm

Re: K1200LT and Hannigan Trike Conversion

Congrats on Ya'.
..and in the fastest color !

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old Sep 11th, 2008, 10:45 pm

Congratulation on your new Trike. We had our 05 LT (light yellow) done in July and are very happy with it. It takes a little getting used to but overall a really nice ride. Your right about the Hannigan people and product. NECE in Windsor, CO did our conversion and it was a great experience. We found that our size (heavy!) tended to bottom out the rear springs and Hannigan exchanged them for stronger ones with no questions asked. I did find that you better be prepared for lots of compliments, questions, and parking lot discussions. Enjoy.

post #4 of 9 Old Nov 15th, 2010, 3:32 pm

Congrats! I, too, just had my 02 converted to a Hannigan (installation was done in September, at NECE Trikes, in Colorado) It sure is a beautiful creation! I love how it did away with the bikes overall top-heavy feeling.

http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/y...0/DSCF3234.jpg
post #5 of 9 Old Nov 15th, 2010, 6:09 pm

Thank you for sharing your experiences. My wife and I have been talking a lot lately about having Hannigan convert our LT. The issues that I am struggling to come to terms with include:
Cost – The conversion will cost more than the LT is probably worth.

Psychological – My mind’s eye sees the image of an old retired couple forced to resort to three wheels. My brain and my body tell me that the LT is a very big girl and that maybe riding the LT 2up is no longer very safe. I still love to solo it through the twisties and on long trips, but that isn’t why I bought it. There are times when I want my wife with me. When I want to carve up some backroads solo, I still have my GS. (She won’t ride on the GS).

Unfamiliarity – I have no idea what riding a trike might be like, both for me and my passenger.

We are about 4 ˝ hours from Hannigan and may take an overnight trip down there and look around. They tell me that it would be about 7 weeks for finished product.

Your thoughts are appreciated. I would like to know how well you adapted, how the storage on a trike compares, given that the LT sidecases are no longer usable, and what options would you recommend on a conversion. Thank you.

2007 K1200LT Hannigan- Blue
2012 R1200GS - Rallye
1973 R75/5 Toaster - Black
post #6 of 9 Old Nov 24th, 2010, 8:47 am

Congrats on the conversion. I did mine 4 years ago after riding it as a two wheeler for 4 years. After the conversion, the only negative aspect of riding a trike was the lack of cornering like a 2 wheeler. I thoroughly enjoy the stability of the trike. When you ride 2-up and are not as nimbule as a 30 year old, you really appreciate the stability of the trike when you get on/off.

Then after riding some 60,000 miles, I had a transmission problem. Transmissions are major surgury on an LT. Then add the conversion and WOW. The cost of getting the transmission fixed was very costly.

Enjoy your trike.........

Richard
post #7 of 9 Old Nov 25th, 2010, 6:50 am

Storage......about 1-1/2 times the original
Twisties......G-forces push sideways on you instead of down into the seat. I find myself
leaning just because it feels better.................
Ride.........Karen and I put 60,0000 miles on our trike including one Iron Butt of 11,000.
Relaxed comfort. Yes, it makes me feel like a geezer sometimes......but
I'm 67, I am a geezer.....and screw what anyone else thinks, I'm out there with
the girl I love behind me and loving it ..........
If you don't want a sales pitch and want to try a relaxed ride, PM me and then come by and try ours here in Hot Springs.

Confession.......I also have a RT for when I need to be "a boy."

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 Old Nov 28th, 2010, 10:11 am

Ray I'll save you some travel time. My 02 trike is here in Warsaw KY 2 miles up river from the Markland Dam, and you are welcome to a ride. I triked mine in 06 after 44K as a two wheeler and it just turned 91K this month. I'm in agreement with all the other posts.
Larry

02 K1200LT Hannigan

post #9 of 9 Old Aug 29th, 2011, 1:10 am

Would you mind turning the American Flag right-side-up? Please?

Thanks.

Jerry

Jerry

BMWMOA # 134919
2000 LT Hannigan Trike
1986 Suzuki TM400 (gone)
1957 BSA 500 cc Twin (long gone)
1955 BSA Golden Flash (longer gone)
1950 or thereabouts HD 165 cc 2 stroke! (gone in 1954)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in