Trailer Hitch Options - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 9:53 pm Thread Starter

Trailer Hitch Options

Am looking at a trailer for my LT. Am leaning toward either making a HF/Sears Box unit or purchasing either a Piggy Backer XL or a Road Dog Deluxe.

My question is what trailer hitch to purchase. Looking at the following: Hitch Doc, Bushtec or Dauntless. Any recommendations.

My use of the trailer would be limited to a couple times a year for some 3-5 day camping trips.

Hanshi
Reading, PA
Current Bikes:
2007 BMW K1200LT (Black)
2008 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic (red)
HF Tag-Along Trailer
Past Bikes:
2004 BMW K1200GT (Grey-Green)
2004 Suzuki Intruder (Black)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 4th, 2008, 12:11 am

Re: Trailer Hitch Options

Dauntless 101% !!

All other other hitch's are in the FRIGGEN way !!

The brackets that support the actual hitch are passive without the hitch plugged in. Dauntless's design is far and away the most elegant, simple and easy too add or remove

As for the trailer itself? ..... that's tough !!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scotts vacation 030.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	337.8 KB
ID:	19466  

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
T
wisties Required

Old Sep 4th, 2008, 9:42 pm

Plus 1 on the dauntless, took a trip out west and it performed flawlessly, my time out trailer (DART) was great also.

Glen

Old Sep 5th, 2008, 7:45 pm

+2 on Dauntless Motors. I bought my trailer form Dauntless too. It is the the Zenith which is a model they manufacture under license to Peak Trailers for distribution in the USA. They also sell the Champion Colorodo, the Uni-go, the ZZ and a new Dual Sport trailer called the Uni-Trak, which they designed and are manufacturing. Their customer service has always been the best.

Here is a picture of Rufus and my Zenith Trailer:

and one of me pulling it on the Dragon:

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

Old Sep 12th, 2008, 6:34 pm

Hanshi,

I am in the process of building the HF/Sears trailer and with Dave Dragon's instructions it has been a breeze. My only hold up is the machine shop. I live in a small town and had a little trouble getting the SV unit from Sears as they have a new style of box that is narrower and longer but is still 20 cubic feet.
I too can't justify the cost of a high end unit because of limited use but am looking forward to doing some camping.

Diehly

Poke it through, tuck and roll
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 7:57 pm

Check out this unit! I just pulled it to CCR and back, with some extra miles thrown in!

You wont believe the price, below 2K!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	86338MCT_Trailer.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	19611  

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

Old Sep 12th, 2008, 8:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanshi
My question is what trailer hitch to purchase. Looking at the following: Hitch Doc, Bushtec or Dauntless. Any recommendations.

I had two Dauntless hitches and replaced them both with a Bushtec.

Dauntless makes a great hitch, looks great,
partially remove-able to change out the tire, very convenient

So why did I take it off my LT and replace it with a Bushtec?

Bushtec pulls from the lower motormount.
Take a good look at what's holding up your bags and tailsection,
it's pretty wimpy.

Dauntless pulls from the hollow tubular frame and saddlebag mount, in time and especially with a heavy trailer pulling back and down on the hitch with every bump, sooner or later the rear subframe is going to stress crack just like the old airhead BMW's did if you put a top box on.

Now that's not to say that the Bushtec is the perfect hitch,
it's more work to change a tire, 3 bolts on the front and 2 on the rear of the hitch. After you've done it a couple of times it's easy.

And you also have to remove the front bolts of the hitch to remove the right side footpeg bracket when you change the transmission oil.

You decide, it depends on the weight of your trailer and what type of roads you intend to ride on,

is the Bushtec worth the extra effort,
in my opinion yes (ymmv)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bmw2 028 (Medium).jpg
Views:	356
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	19613   Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw1 016.jpg
Views:	798
Size:	327.9 KB
ID:	19614   Click image for larger version

Name:	bmwk1200ltinstlhitchnopanel (Medium).jpg
Views:	614
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	19615   Click image for larger version

Name:	dmc-bmwk1200lthitch.jpg
Views:	618
Size:	233.8 KB
ID:	19616   Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw1 014.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	331.1 KB
ID:	19617  

Name:	bmw1 017.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	326.4 KB
ID:	19618   Click image for larger version

Name:	our pictures 661 (Medium).jpg
Views:	414
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	19619  

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

Last edited by SilverBuffalo; Sep 12th, 2008 at 8:57 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in