Source for Unigo Tire? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Aug 13th, 2008, 11:48 pm Thread Starter

Source for Unigo Tire?

Hope I'm not posting in the wrong forum.

I just had to abandon my LT trip to Glacier and the Badlands due to a Uni-go tire failure while on the road. Could not locate a Metzeler 130/70-10 or any other brand that would fit. Bummer. Can't reschedule the trip due to family commitments. Not to be outdone, I'm traveling in a cage.

Where can I buy (or order) a Uni-go tire? Maybe I should travel with a spare.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Aug 14th, 2008, 5:54 am

Re: Source for Unigo Tire?

Since the Uni-Go tires are about the size of scooter tires, my first question would be did you try a scooter store? Secondly, here are some places that sell them on the Internet.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #3 of 11 Old Aug 14th, 2008, 5:59 am

What are the differences in the tires listed?

Gary & Mary Droege
1999 K1200LT
2008 K1200LT

"Life ain't about how fast you run, or how high you climb, but how well you bounce."

post #4 of 11 Old Aug 14th, 2008, 8:01 am Thread Starter

Gary and Steve,
Yes, I tried every store that sold cycles or scooters withing two hours of my location.
I tried SW MOTO and a couple of other online tire places. Since I was on the road, my search time was limited.

Gary, I don't understand your question r.e. the differences between the two tires.
I'm just looking for a tire that fits the Uni-go rim and fits in the tire well. The size that came on the trailer is 130/70-10 if I remember correctly.

I know there are people on this forum that have replaced their Uni-go tire. I hope one of them will provide a reliable source.

When I return home I will have much more time to find a tire. Just hoped someone had experience and could help. Maybe I should post on the trailer forum. A search of this forum didn't turn up a source for a tire.
post #5 of 11 Old Aug 14th, 2008, 8:03 am

That's okay, I moved this to the correct forum.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

post #6 of 11 Old Aug 14th, 2008, 8:05 am

Nothing. They are just places that I was taken too when I did a search for Metzeler 130/70/10, which is the tire that is installed on the Uni-Go as OEM fitted tire.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

post #7 of 11 Old Aug 14th, 2008, 2:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
Nothing. They are just places that I was taken too when I did a search for Metzeler 130/70/10, which is the tire that is installed on the Uni-Go as OEM fitted tire.
Just curious the two different numbers and prices:

Metzeler 130 70 R 10 59 L @ $38.30
Metzeler ME 7 Teen 130/70-10 @ $28.95

I just called my local independent bike dealer and he indicates he should be able to order one if needed. I have had the same tire on my Unigo since it was born back in 2000-2001 (not exactly sure of the date). It is stored inside when not in use and has never failed on numerous trips. I have no idea how many miles it has on it but it shows little wear. I carry a bottle of stuff for flat tires (similar to but not the green slime stuff) just in case for emergency repairs. I'll post what my dealer tells me when he calls me back.

Just heard back from my dealer who says the tire is easily available. His price is $37.95 and they can install it. If you would like to call, it's HUB CYCLE in Indepence MO 816-461-2187.

Gary & Mary Droege
1999 K1200LT
2008 K1200LT

"Life ain't about how fast you run, or how high you climb, but how well you bounce."
post #8 of 11 Old Aug 14th, 2008, 7:32 pm Thread Starter

Gary Said, "Just curious the two different numbers and prices:

Metzeler ME 7 Teen 130/70-10 @ $28.95"

I don't Know the difference, Gary. If I remember correctly my tire is a 130/70-10 H (maybe?) 62 The 62 is a load range number. However, the total weight of a Uni-go and it's contents should not exceed the rating of any tire.

THANKS A BUNCH for locating a source for the tire. I will call them upon my return home.

My Uni-go tire had at least 25K on it and looked great. I just ran over something that punched a LARGE hole in it. When the plug was put in the tire, it was not even a snug fit. You could see the hole and it appears over 1/8" in diameter. When you pushed something in it, it opened up a lot. So - got to get a new tire. The most surprising thing to me was that it ran flat a while and I didn't perceive any problem. The tire was not even hot. Guess it's a tough tire.

Jim
post #9 of 11 Old Aug 14th, 2008, 9:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMc
Gary Said, "Just curious the two different numbers and prices:

Metzeler ME 7 Teen 130/70-10 @ $28.95"

I don't Know the difference, Gary. If I remember correctly my tire is a 130/70-10 H (maybe?) 62 The 62 is a load range number. However, the total weight of a Uni-go and it's contents should not exceed the rating of any tire.

THANKS A BUNCH for locating a source for the tire. I will call them upon my return home.

My Uni-go tire had at least 25K on it and looked great. I just ran over something that punched a LARGE hole in it. When the plug was put in the tire, it was not even a snug fit. You could see the hole and it appears over 1/8" in diameter. When you pushed something in it, it opened up a lot. So - got to get a new tire. The most surprising thing to me was that it ran flat a while and I didn't perceive any problem. The tire was not even hot. Guess it's a tough tire.

Jim

Here is what I found on the Unigo tire

130/70 -10 59L reinf. Metzeler ME 7-Teen
Sport tread pattern and compound. Lightweight with good grip for easy handling. Tread pattern designed to provide water drainage with even wear L-rated for up to 75 mph. OEM tire for Uni-Go trailers.

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of the car window
Stephen Moore
02 K1200LTC Silver
02 Uni-go (skittles reborn)
1975 R75/6 Black Still running strong
BMWMOA# 122791
AMA# 711312
CCR 02,03,04,05,07,08,

Last edited by bustedknuckles; Aug 14th, 2008 at 9:13 pm.
post #10 of 11 Old Aug 15th, 2008, 12:17 am Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the help. Think I now have sources to get a tire. I also learned that the tire I have is called ME 7 Teen.

Steve R - I just realized I missed the LINK in your first message that provided several places to get the tire. DUH! Hopefully, I was just tired and not getting senile. ;-) I had been on the road for two long days - each over 12 hrs. of hard pushing.

Thanks again everyone.

Jim
post #11 of 11 Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 11:32 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMc
Thanks everyone for the help. Think I now have sources to get a tire. I also learned that the tire I have is called ME 7 Teen.

Steve R - I just realized I missed the LINK in your first message that provided several places to get the tire. DUH! Hopefully, I was just tired and not getting senile. ;-) I had been on the road for two long days - each over 12 hrs. of hard pushing.

Thanks again everyone.

Jim
Jim if your source don't work out I keep tires in stock.

Bill Jennings, fhp
Denison, TX

BMW States
BMW years and miles, 32 years 500K+

AMA, CMA, IBA, POG, MSF, FHP, etc

'99 K1200lt
'76 R900/6
Various Vintage Dirt Bikes
-Greeves (Sold), Pentons, Hodaka, etc.

Remember you are not lost till you run out of gas!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in