Thinking about a Trike....... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Aug 13th, 2008, 10:31 pm Thread Starter

Thinking about a Trike.......

Hope you don't mind me jumping into your forum, but my wife and I are talking about moving to a trike and we are curious how the BMW trike riders like there set up? We are looking at the Hannigan as we have heard great things about there conversion, we are going to make a trip to Belton Texas to ride a demo soon.
One of the questions I have is, how is the power with the added weight of the conversion, do you need to push the rpm's a bit when riding in the hills or with added weight (luggage, etc)? Also how is the wind on the passenger, we rode a Goldwing Motortrike and my wife said there was an extreem amout of wind on her from behind her head and up from the rear fender area at highway speed?
Any info would greatly appreciated, we both ride 2 wheelers at the present, but are looking hard at the BMW Trike conversion.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Aug 14th, 2008, 9:10 am

Re: Thinking about a Trike.......

Well, IMO Hannigan makes the best trike conversion. Karen and I have put 40,000 miles on ours. Power is fine, noone runs an LT under 3500 RPM and it's always ready to move. Karen was getting wind with the OEM windscreen. I installed a Cee Bailey #2 with wings -3" and I can see over the top while she gets no wind. (often checks maps on the go) Biggest difference is that on corners, instead of g-forces pushing you down in the seat while leaning, on the trike the g-forces act horizontally on you and you have to brace with inside leg because it feels like you're going to slide off..
On really fast or sharp corners, I lean anyway because it feels better.
The trike will not lift a wheel like the old Servicar. I've slid but never lifted.
If you get a trike, get the auxiliary fuel tank, it doesn't take any luggage space and gives peace of mind if you travel where gas is a distance apart.
You'll also have to get use to steering backwards. To go right, you push left.
Although once you get familiar, Ive gone back and forth between the Trike and my RT without a thought. Hannigan will tell you there are three things to remember about a trike:
1. always put it in gear to park
2. never put your foot down
3. there's no such thing as a quick stop
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7Done!.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	19018  

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 Old Aug 14th, 2008, 9:49 am Thread Starter

Thanks Allan, that is great info, we have been talking about doing this and we just haven't been able to talk with anyone that has a BMW conversion so this helps a lot. We hope to demo a Hannigan in a few weeks , most likely it will be a Honda , but we will be able to see the diffrence bewteen the suspensions of Motortrike and Hannigan. We didn't have any trouble riding our friends MotorTrike , but noticed the wind problem ( which they also noticed) and it was a little ruff in bumpy situations. The aux fuel tank is a must as you mentioned.
Thanks again for your help.

PS: This will be a BIG change from riding our Aprilia Futura two up, but we look forward to the change.

Skip & Irene

post #4 of 18 Old Aug 15th, 2008, 10:40 am

Talking Re: Thinking about a Trike.......

Ditto to what Starfighter said. I also have a Cee Baily's windscreen and it resolved the buffeting problem. Also, if your going to pull a trailer, put some relays in the wiring for the trailer instead of running the power through the bike wiring harness. Besides that, you're good to go. I've put 30K on my trike in two years. You'll love it!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Doris & Dragon 2.jpg.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	19026  

Randi Kobernik
2005 K1200LT with a 2007 Hannigan Trike Kit "The Dragon"

It is not wise to meddle in the affairs of Dragons for thou art crunchy and good with katsup.
post #5 of 18 Old Aug 15th, 2008, 11:19 am Thread Starter

Thanks Dragon, this is great info, it sure helps, will let you know how the test ride goes and maybe we will join the ranks soon.

Skip
post #6 of 18 Old Aug 19th, 2008, 5:13 pm

My wife and I had our 05 LT converted to a Hannigan Trike in June and have put over a 1000 miles on it. We love it and highly recommend it. We rode a Honda Motor Trike conversion in Jan for 12 days around the south Island of New Zealand for 12 days and were hooked on the concept. Liked the Honda bike part but didn't care for the Motor Trike conversion. (to rough). Our Hannigan is an outstanding product and we are really pleased with our decision to go to a Trike. This decision did not come easy. I have over 500,000 miles on 2 wheels and my wife was with me on over 100,000 of these miles. However we felt that at our age and time in our life we should make this change if we wanted to extend our riding time. We had our conversion done by NECE in Windser, Colorado. Great people and a great job.
I know you will be happy with a Trike and Hannigan is the best way to go.
post #7 of 18 Old Aug 20th, 2008, 9:07 am Thread Starter

Thanks Dickkonarska, that is great info, we also rode a Motortrike and we could not get the backend to settle down even with adjusting the air pressure, just seemed a little rough for us. And yes this will be switch for us as we both have ridden/raced two wheelers for a LONG time, but looking forward to trying some thing new.
Thanks again to all who have helped on this.
post #8 of 18 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 10:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider
Thanks Dickkonarska, that is great info, we also rode a Motortrike and we could not get the backend to settle down even with adjusting the air pressure, just seemed a little rough for us. And yes this will be switch for us as we both have ridden/raced two wheelers for a LONG time, but looking forward to trying some thing new.
Thanks again to all who have helped on this.
Test ride both a K LT and a GL before you decide. I love my K LT/Hannigan.
post #9 of 18 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 4:57 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben1364
Test ride both a K LT and a GL before you decide. I love my K LT/Hannigan.
Will do, hope to go up to Belton TX in 2 weeks for a test ride.
post #10 of 18 Old Oct 16th, 2008, 2:16 pm Thread Starter

Just let everyone know we are still wanting to get a test ride done, but do to family health problems we have been traveling to Florida for my wifes family. We will update you when things settle down and we can make the trip..

Skip
post #11 of 18 Old Nov 9th, 2008, 11:28 pm

Here is another vote for Hannigan and a KLT! We've had our conversion since Oct 2007, and love it. We got most all options except floor boards. As mentioned earlier, be sure to get the auxiliary fuel tank.

We have the Aeroflow windshield, and I am able to always adjust it so my wife gets no buffeting at all. She is 5'8" so sticks up quiet a ways! Anyway, triking is great fun for us old folks! I could never pick up a dropped LT, but I can certainly ride an LT trike!

Be safe!

Jerry

BMWMOA # 134919
2000 LT Hannigan Trike
1986 Suzuki TM400 (gone)
1957 BSA 500 cc Twin (long gone)
1955 BSA Golden Flash (longer gone)
1950 or thereabouts HD 165 cc 2 stroke! (gone in 1954)
post #12 of 18 Old Nov 11th, 2008, 1:35 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubajgp
Here is another vote for Hannigan and a KLT! We've had our conversion since Oct 2007, and love it. We got most all options except floor boards. As mentioned earlier, be sure to get the auxiliary fuel tank.

We have the Aeroflow windshield, and I am able to always adjust it so my wife gets no buffeting at all. She is 5'8" so sticks up quiet a ways! Anyway, triking is great fun for us old folks! I could never pick up a dropped LT, but I can certainly ride an LT trike!

Be safe!
Thanks Jerry, we have some friends that just got back from a long trip from Texas to Wash. state , Calif.and back to Texas on there Motortrike. They said they spoke with several people who had Hannigan conversions and they also took a ride on one and now they are looking into a possible switch. We really hope to get up and take a test ride, but as I have mentioned before family medical issues causing some delay, but hopefully soon. Thanks again for the info.

Ride safe, Skip
post #13 of 18 Old Nov 22nd, 2008, 7:57 am

Speaking from a passenger's point of view...hubby and I have a '05 LT trike with the Hannigan "anniversary edition" conversion, which we bought two years ago from a couple that had it built. It had 1400 miles on it when we got it. It is my husband's daily transportation to work and my "fun" when we get our days off together. I had never been on the back of a bike before I met my husband and he never had a car before he met me. I love the trike! The "comfort factor" is wonderful. We put "Jimmy Buffett" in the cd changer and away we go singing "Cheeseburger in Paradise"! (Paradise is being on a BMW/Hannigan trike) When we go for a ride, we cover 250 miles. Living in Florida gives us wonderful driving weather most of the year. Right now it is a bit chilly (37 degrees this morning) but we will be out as soon as I get off the computer! He had an '84 Yamaha Venture Royale before we got the Beemer. Since we are mature riders now, having 3 wheels sure makes for a nicer and safer ride. Hannigan is the way to go. It looks like it belongs together.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_0870.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	418.2 KB
ID:	20740  
post #14 of 18 Old Nov 24th, 2008, 9:56 am Thread Starter

Thanks Ladyspot, great looking Trike by the way!!!
We are still trying to get up for test ride, but looks like it will be after the first of the year. We rode our friends Motortrike (Honda conversion) and really enjoyed it, but again the wind on the passenger is a bit much so after reading what "scubajpg" said about the wind factor my wife is encouraged. She rides her own 2 wheeler now so it is taking a bit of getting used too for her to be a passenger again.

thanks again for the info.

Skip
post #15 of 18 Old Mar 25th, 2009, 9:18 pm

So, twinrider, it's been several months now, and we haven't heard what has happened! Hannigan? Gold Wing? LT? Please let us know!

Jerry

BMWMOA # 134919
2000 LT Hannigan Trike
1986 Suzuki TM400 (gone)
post #16 of 18 Old Apr 15th, 2009, 9:53 am

Hi Doris I live in Cape Town South Africa have a BMWK1200LT the same colour as your trike your bike is amazing. I am busy negotiating to buy a Hannigan Trike conversion Kit . We are so excited-love riding but feel at our age it would be safer to convert to a trike. It is the fist bike that I see that has a floor board what is the ground clearance over humps etc,was it fitted by Hannigan. Is it a necessary to have a Steer Lite Kit fitted.Would love to hear from you need all the advice we can get.
Dont have many trikes here.
Thankyou. Regards
Zelda
post #17 of 18 Old Apr 15th, 2009, 11:06 am

Get the Steer Lite fitted!!!!!!

Jerry

BMWMOA # 134919
2000 LT Hannigan Trike
1986 Suzuki TM400 (gone)
post #18 of 18 Old Apr 20th, 2009, 11:17 am

Zelda, the ground clearance is 5 inches. Go slow over speed bumps. It really doesn't matter if you have the floorboards or not, the clearance is still 5 inches. Since Doris and I live in Oregon, we got the floorboards to deflect the rain. Works great and also reduces the number of rock hits & chips on the leading edge of the rear fenders. They were fitted by Hannigan. Get the steer lite!!

Randi Kobernik
2005 K1200LT with a 2007 Hannigan Trike Kit "The Dragon"

It is not wise to meddle in the affairs of Dragons for thou art crunchy and good with katsup.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in