Another Dauntless wiring/relay question, need someone to look @ theirs! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old May 29th, 2008, 12:42 pm Thread Starter

Another Dauntless wiring/relay question, need someone to look @ theirs!

Hello group, hoping someone can help...

A couple months ago I picked up a used Dauntless hitch with the 4 relay wiring harness. Today I'm picking up a used Cyclemate cargo trailer I found a deal on. I have the hitch installation instructions from Dauntless and the hardware went on in minutes. I need help figuring out the wiring though.

Attached are a few photos of the relay. There are wires coming out of what I'll call the 'top' (closest to the relays) and the 'bottom' (closest to the sticky mounting tape. Same 5 colors in each pigtail. The former owner clipped everything so I don't know which bunch goes to the existing harness and which bunch goes to the trailer plug. I know the single red hot wire goes to the battery.

Also, the last photo shows another plug with the same 5 colors of wire coming out of it. inserted in the plug is a 'dummy' I guess, there are simply rubber plugs where the contacts would be if this were to be functional. Anyone know what this is for?

If no one knows which set of wires goes where, can someone tell me if I'll damage anything by testing with a power source? I figure I could hook up the hot & ground leads to my 12v regulated power source on the bench and then add power to any of the other colored wires, hoping to hear the relay click if I chose one from the 'supply' side. What if I get one from the 'delivery' side though, will I burn out a relay or will it still click anyway so I can't be sure?

Thanks in advance for any advice, I'd rather ask first then damage a component by guessing. Oh yeah, I did search the site but came up empty as far as 'top or bottom' wire clusters. The dauntless site isn't any help either.

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dauntless Relay 001.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	18075   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dauntless Relay 005.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	18076   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dauntless Relay 003.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	18077   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dauntless Relay 002.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	18078  

Rick
'01 LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old May 29th, 2008, 3:45 pm

Re: Another Dauntless wiring/relay question, need someone to look @ theirs!

I can help a little but my first suggestion is to contact Jay at Dauntless Motors and see if he can't send you a set of the installation instructions. Their customer service has always been first class from my experience.

I couldn't find my installation instructions so I took my tail light assembly out. Hopefully I can at least help with the 5 wire harness connections to the tail light wiring. The installation kit came with three spade lug adapters that convert a single male lug into two male lugs. Three of the wires in the harness (Yellow, Green, White) were terminated in female spade lugs. These three wires use the adapters to connect to thee of the tail light connection.

The Yellow wire goes to the Left Turn Signal spade lug (LT Blue/Red wire).
The Green wire goes to the Right Turn Signal spade lug (LT Blue/Black).
The White wire goes to any ground connection spade lug (LT Brown wire).

I connected my ground to the right side brake/tail light, one connector inboard of the right turn signal. I actually connected three wires to this light assembly. There are three spade lugs on this assembly. If you look at the assembly from the wiring side so that the right tail light is actually on your left there will be spade lugs at the 11, 1 and 5 o'clock positions. The brown LT wire will be at the 1 o'clock position.

For whatever reason the kit did not use the spade lug doubler adapters for the other two wires (Red, Brown). For these they had a short 2" jumper wire that was double staked to the female spade lug on the end of the wire. Double stake means there are two wires crimped into the same lug. The other end of the jumper wire has a male spade lug on it that the original LT wire will mate with (no sexual connotations intended).

Again looking at the back of the right brake light assembly:

The Red wire goes to the Brake Light spade lug at the 11 o'clock position (LT Gray/Yellow according to the schematics though it looks more like Gary/Green to me).
The Brown wire goes to the Tail Light spade lug at the 5 o'clock position (LT Gray/Black).

Obviously the red wire tied to all the relays should go to a fused connection to the battery. The output side of the relays look like they have the same color coding as the tail light side. The wiring from the tail lights should go to the coils of the relays. They are the trigger wires. The white wire should already be jumpered to all the ground sides of the relay coils. Putting 12V on either the Red, Green, Brown or Yellow wire and a ground on the white wire should actuate one of the relays which you should be able to hear. That is probably the most direct way to figure out which harness goes to the tail light and which one is the output to the trailer connector. Putting 12V and ground across any of the wires combinations I have mentioned should not harm anything even if it is the output side rather than the trigger side.

Once you have figured out which harness is which you can actuate each relay and check for continuity between the battery lead and the output wire of the relay which should be the same color as the wire you are applying 12V to.

My kit came with a circular six way trailer plug but you can install whatever you need. Here is a link to a site showing the standard wiring configurations for 4, 6 and 7 way trailer connectors.

It's unfortunate that whoever removed the wiring didn't want to take the time to remove it the right way. The whole thing is designed to be removable and to be able to easily restore the stock wiring configuration. Depending on where the wire harnesses were cut you may need to splice some extra wire length onto them. That may complicate feeding the wires through the grommet back in the tail light area. The void behind the tail light assembly is sealed to some degree to control moisture around the otherwise exposed electrical connections. You may want to splice any additional wire length that is needed closer to the relays rather than out on the ends. It adds an extra splice but it may aid installation. It just something to consider if you do need to add wire length.

One note on the LT wiring: I have schematics for the 2001 model year and my bike is a 2000. I doubt the tail light wiring has had any reason to change but caveat emptor .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

Last edited by jwd98056; May 29th, 2008 at 7:40 pm.
post #3 of 3 Old May 30th, 2008, 1:31 am Thread Starter

Re: Another Dauntless wiring/relay question, need someone to look @ theirs!

Thanks for the comprehensive instructions, Jim. I did contact Jay, he sent me the regular installation instructions. I have no problem with the install, it looks simple enough. My only issue was which set of wires goes to the taillight connectors and which ones go to the trailer plug.

As far as the harness being cut off blunt in 3 places my guess is that it was the easiest way to remove the whole mess in a short amount of time. It came from a consignment shop so I don't know the history. The 'extra' plug I got (last photo) doesn't seem to even belong with this wiring kit. The wire colors are different than the rest of the Dauntless wires, and different than the BMW colors too. The only confusing part is that it has a few inches of the 'good' color wires spliced onto the end. Maybe the original owner used this for the trailer plug, I don't know. I did get the round 5-way plug, I forgot to mention, although it looks like it has never been used. For now I'll put the 'odd' plug aside.

I went ahead & did the bench test of the relays & found the 'bottom' wires to be the supply & the 'top' to be the trailer side. I mention this in case someone ever does a search & finds this thread.

Thanks again Jim, looks like I've got it figured out. I also purchased a Sound Off 'Priority Plus' unit that adds & modulates lights on the bike, hope to get'er all wired up by the end of the weekend.

Rick
'01 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in