Bushtec Roadstar safety chain - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old May 19th, 2008, 10:33 am Thread Starter
ajs

Bushtec Roadstar safety chain

I purchased an '06 (never registered before) Bushtec Roadstar, with most of the bells and whistles, out of Houston Texas. It is a direct paint match to my '05 Ocean Blue LT and came complete with a chromed Bushtec hitch for the LT and the isolator relay. It was an almost too good to be true find. I got it shipped here and everything looks great. It is all wired up and everything works as it should. The one question I have; there doesn't seem to be a safety chain with it. There is a short 5 link chromed chain attached at the point where the wiring exits the tongue. Other than that there is no other chain. Can someone tell me to what configuration the chain is and how it attaches to the tongue and the receiver. There are two holes on the tongue where the wire exits and a slotted hole in the receiver. I take it these are the attachment and hook-up points for the chain. It should be just a matter of buying some chromed chain locally and attaching it properly. However, the whole setup may be unique to Bushtec and will require the Bushtec chain for a proper job both from a performance and appearance standpoint.

Additionally, I would like to say thank you to other members of this site for helping me to get to the point I am with the trailer. It has been a long few months of trying to sort out my options and making a final purchase. At the risk of overlooking some of the help I received, a special thank you to Dick Largen, Tony from Dallas, and Hans, who all showed great patience and humored me a number of times during my search and purchase. As well, MaverickAR, (I think I got that right) the guy with the loin cloth avatar anyway. (I more than halved the shipping cost thanks to him.)

All in all a lot of great help from this site; if I could just get the safety chain thing straightened out now all would be right in my world. At least until the next time anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old May 19th, 2008, 10:37 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Bushtec Roadstar safety chain

Go to the Bushtec site. They have manuals for all their trailers there. Might help. Also give them a call, they have been most helpful.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old May 19th, 2008, 6:54 pm

The chain on all three of the Bushtec trailers I've had,
has been a single five or six link piece of wimpy chain
with either a clasp or screw together fastener attachment
to the hole on the hitch.

In my opinion the chain is only there to satisfy "the law"

Should the hitch ever become seperated from the bike,
you would want the chain to break also.

(my swivel actually broke in half when I hit the Elk) clasp just bent till it came off.

Worst case scenario I would rather "lose" the trailer than drag it "down" with me.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #4 of 4 Old May 19th, 2008, 8:04 pm
Gold Supporter

+1 on what Hans said. If that hitch or receiver gives out you don't want that trailer dragging behind you by the chain, even though the law requires a safety chain.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in