Trailer to haul my LT on. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Apr 4th, 2008, 7:27 pm Thread Starter

Trailer to haul my LT on.

I just posted the following on the LT forum and thought I would copy it here. Here goes.
I am looking at purchasing a SWIVELWHEEL-78 SYSTEM trailer from FAST MASTER PRODUCTS, INC to haul my LT on behind my travel trailer. It is a one wheel trailer and I am wondering if anyone here has experience with this company or style of trailer. My concern is the weight of the LT on one wheel/tire. They also make a two swivel wheel model which may be necessary to carry the weight. I chose this style of trailer as it is the only type that can go behind a conventional travel trailer.

Hackercraft
03 LTE
72 75/5 Gone to a new home
03 R1200CLC Hannigan Classic ordered

BMWOA # 134205

Never argue with idiots, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Apr 5th, 2008, 8:55 am

Re: Trailer to haul my LT on.

Looks as if it should work, even the single wheel version. Says it has a 1000 lb. capacity. For my money I would go with a toy hauler with a ramp door, but I realize that's not what you already have.

Al Hennigan
'03 Anthracite LTE
'09 GS Adventure
Middle Tennessee
post #3 of 11 Old Apr 5th, 2008, 9:29 am

I'm assuming you're talking about this trailer (see pic below). What bothers me about that design is that you're putting ALL of your faith into ONE tire, ONE wheel, and ONE wheel bearing. Yikes! Don't mean to scare you, but I think it's something to consider, heavily.

Maybe if I could ride a unicycle, I wouldn't be so concerned.

post #4 of 11 Old Apr 5th, 2008, 9:32 am

Why not see if a 1,000 lb. Tommy Lift would work - probably the same price and no hassles with flat tires, cornering, storage, theft, etc. Even easier to load, unload.

There would probably be an issue with the hitch loading of the trailer which would probably require counter weights. Never good to add extra weight when towing but it might be worth it to eliminate the trailer hassles.

You might also need some airbag "helpers" on the trailer axle to keep it level and beef up the carrying capacity.... higher rated springs are easy to install as well.

Pretty sure I've seen models that don't have the chains or struts on the sides to support the load, maybe from a different manufacturer. They lift straight up and down instead of swinging out and down. When you're not using the platform it folds up vertically and locks in place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tommy.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	5.8 KB
ID:	17310  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Apr 5th, 2008 at 9:49 am.
post #5 of 11 Old Apr 5th, 2008, 9:54 am

[QUOTE=messenger13]I'm assuming you're talking about this trailer (see pic below). What bothers me about that design is that you're putting ALL of your faith into ONE tire, ONE wheel, and ONE wheel bearing. Yikes! Don't mean to scare you, but I think it's something to consider, heavily.

Maybe if I could ride a unicycle, I wouldn't be so concerned.

[/QU

OTE]

Boy howdy, I sure do agree.

If that tire went flat while you were towing you would NEVER know it until the trailer was dragging on the caster. (after the rim was ground down down to nothing in a few seconds)

You would also need to carry a spare tire and wheel - that size is not easy to find at most tire stores - probably a special order for most places.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #6 of 11 Old Apr 6th, 2008, 8:57 pm

I have to ask...With hundreds of 2 wheel trailers available why 1 wheel??? Is it to save money on tires?

Airborne "Never Forget"
Vonore, TN

2003 LT-E "HLZ BNZ"
2004 Rune "PNS EXTN"
1970 ZA-50 "JR"

post #7 of 11 Old Apr 9th, 2008, 8:54 pm

Hope I'm not hijacking the thread, but (l) I found a Diamond C over in Bryan Texas which my son picked up and is holding for me ($1500) http://www.diamondctrailers.com/trai...y-46ct-l10.htm

and (2) on a Texas riders forum there's a listing for a one-rail Kendon in Georgetown Texas for $1000.00
post #8 of 11 Old Jul 24th, 2008, 3:03 am

I'm chiming in here and saying.... Go with the Kendon.

I've pulled my LT on mine many places. The last being last month up to Springfield, OR. (backwoods) from Long Beach, Ca. Going through the mountains and twisty roads, its secure and no worries.

I personally just can't get behind the idea of single tire trailer, and wondering whats to happend during a blowout.

Another benifit to getting the Kendon is you can purchase the side cargo boxes (which I'll do next year) to haul/secure additional stuff.

Depending upon the year the $1000 kendon trailer was made (pre-2002 for example), Kendon is having a blow-out special on those boxes right now.

http://www.kendonusa.com/specials.htm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	T 041.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	18822   Click image for larger version

Name:	T 043.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	18823  

Last edited by STYLNLT; Jul 24th, 2008 at 3:09 am.
post #9 of 11 Old Aug 29th, 2008, 1:34 pm

Smile Re: Trailer to haul my LT on.

If you've not checked out Adventure Sports for their trailers, you've missed one of the best trailers on the market. They're in Golden, CO. Check this link. As a matter of fact, that's me with the Blue trailer and LT Trike on it.

I just traded it in for one that I pull behind the LT. I figured with the price of gas and how much I love to ride, I'd get more use from one I pull with the LT instead of hauling it around.

Believe me, you don't even know the trailer is back there and loading and unloading requires NO ramp. It's air cushion ride (compressor installed underneath) and to load, you just let the air out. It sits down on the ground. You ride on, close the pressure valve, start you vehicle and in less than a minute, it's back up to proper level and away you go. The paint match was awesome as well. They now have a completely enclosed version if you want it.

This is truly a quality product.

I'm not a dealer or distributor, just an owner. My new Spyder trailer will be delivered the middle of September.

Triker

Longmont, CO
2005 LT Hannigan Trike
post #10 of 11 Old Aug 29th, 2008, 3:46 pm

These look pretty nice. How do you add air back to lift the trailer? Is there a built in compressor or do you have to provide an external one? I tried to find a price list; but couldn't. What type of price range are these?
post #11 of 11 Old Aug 29th, 2008, 6:18 pm

Smile Re: Trailer to haul my LT on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by copilot
These look pretty nice. How do you add air back to lift the trailer? Is there a built in compressor or do you have to provide an external one? I tried to find a price list; but couldn't. What type of price range are these?
Has an on-board built in compressor to raise it back to proper height. Air suspension.

Price range is $5K depending on options, trim, etc.

Triker

Longmont, CO
2005 LT Hannigan Trike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in