No Response from Uni-Go - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 8:12 am Thread Starter

No Response from Uni-Go

Has anyone tried contacting the Uni-Go factory lately? I have been trying to reach them via their website, email and telephone for more than two months now without even the courtesy of a return email. Are these guys still in business, or do they just not give a damn? I mean, I was a serious prospect for a new touring model decked out with all options and a color matched paint job a couple of months ago, but I finally gave up and treated myself to something else for Christmas. For folks trying to create demand for a product targeting the motorcycling public, I can't imagine this is any way to run a railroad.

Al Hennigan
'03 Anthracite LTE
'09 GS Adventure
Middle Tennessee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jan 9th, 2008, 9:32 pm

Al, I haven't had occasion to contact them recently but they do have a bit of a reputation for taking longer than one would expect to return a phone call or email.

I have an issue on the table with them: the tire on my Uni-go. It appears to be defective (the tread is blistering). It's been a couple of months since they told me they would let me know what their tire rep would do about it. I guess I'm not in a hurry to get an answer, or I would have followed-up with them.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old Jan 10th, 2008, 6:06 am Thread Starter

Thanks, Howard. I started to PM you before I posted my thread, because I knew you had bought one from them recently. I've cooled off on the idea for now...maybe later. I've got a Bushtec, which is a great trailer especially for two-up, but I wanted something to throw a "few extra things" into when I was going by myself, particularly when camping.

Al Hennigan
'03 Anthracite LTE
'09 GS Adventure
Middle Tennessee

post #4 of 12 Old Jan 10th, 2008, 6:06 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Al, I haven't had occasion to contact them recently but they do have a bit of a reputation for taking longer than one would expect to return a phone call or email.

I have an issue on the table with them: the tire on my Uni-go. It appears to be defective (the tread is blistering). It's been a couple of months since they told me they would let me know what their tire rep would do about it. I guess I'm not in a hurry to get an answer, or I would have followed-up with them.
Better send them a tickle Howard. It's almost riding season!

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #5 of 12 Old Jan 10th, 2008, 8:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger6
Thanks, Howard. I started to PM you before I posted my thread, because I knew you had bought one from them recently. I've cooled off on the idea for now...maybe later. I've got a Bushtec, which is a great trailer especially for two-up, but I wanted something to throw a "few extra things" into when I was going by myself, particularly when camping.
I've seen your Bushtec, Al. In fact, it was the very first Bushtec I saw in person -- I saw it at STC 2006... in the rain. I bought a Unigo because I didn't have the money for a Bushtec. Touring their factory convinced me I'll have one some day. What a nice product.

The Unigo is a nice little trailer; it gives you just enough space to bring along those things you might want if you had the room. My daughter was thrilled to be able to bring along all of her "girl stuff" when we went to CCR last summer together.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #6 of 12 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 1:33 pm
Super Moderator

Can you hear me now . . .

Just called Unigo today, this afternoon, and talked to Mark. During some maintenance found I have a cracked wheel and a blistered tire like Howard. I am driving up on Sunday afternoon so he can inspect and offer warranty.

I guess I understand your pain about Mark not responding to emails or making return phone calls. I however persist to call early in the afternoon just after 1:00 PM (CST) and most often he answers the phone.

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #7 of 12 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 2:22 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfinazzo
I however persist to call early in the afternoon just after 1:00 PM (CST) and most often he answers the phone.
Sounds good and thanks. Good luck with your repair.

Al Hennigan
'03 Anthracite LTE
'09 GS Adventure
Middle Tennessee
post #8 of 12 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 7:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfinazzo
Just called Unigo today, this afternoon, and talked to Mark. During some maintenance found I have a cracked wheel and a blistered tire like Howard. I am driving up on Sunday afternoon so he can inspect and offer warranty...
Interesting. Does he have a final answer, then, on the tire blistering problem? John Bowles first brought it to my attention. If there is a warranty replacement I'll bring mine over sometime, too.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #9 of 12 Old Jan 12th, 2008, 12:52 am
Super Moderator

Closer inspection

Not sure if this means anything but the Metzler tire was mounted backwards.

Here are few picts of the crack and the rotation arrow - make sure you check yours!!

Dan Finazzo

post #10 of 12 Old Jan 12th, 2008, 7:35 am

Hmmmmm. That's the second rim that I've seen that has had an issue where the bearings are pressed in. First was at CCR '06 and the rim wouldn't hold the bearing anymore as it was wallowed out larger than the bearing and now this one cracked. I was thinking about adding a UniGo, but now I'm not sure.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #11 of 12 Old Jan 12th, 2008, 10:37 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
Hmmmmm. That's the second rim that I've seen that has had an issue where the bearings are pressed in. First was at CCR '06 and the rim wouldn't hold the bearing anymore as it was wallowed out larger than the bearing and now this one cracked. I was thinking about adding a UniGo, but now I'm not sure.
Uni-Go are a nice lil trailer but after pulling a Bushtec 1700 mile to CCR and back last year I would have to say there is none better on the market in my opinion. I could not tell the difference between pulling it and when I was not pulling it. Best of all you can see it in your mirrors

Stevie Shreeve
post #12 of 12 Old Jan 13th, 2008, 10:50 pm
Super Moderator

Unigo Update

Dropped by Unigo (Monroe, OH) and visited with Mark the owner on Sunday - he was doing carpet installations on several units.

I turned in my cracked wheel and blistered tire. We talked a little about both:

1. The cracked wheel - he was aware of - one of the assemblers but it on a unit almost a year ago by mistake as they set it aside and quality control did not catch it. We did notice that the place where the wheel cracked / split was thin as well. Mark did say a few wheels were improperly machined and when the bearings are installed the results were cracks that sometimes appeared at at later date.

2. The blistering tire is a known problem by Metzler and Mark will gladly replace any tire that shows this problem. This apparently was a bad batch / mold run from Metzler and you can spot the bad run by looking at the 8 digit serial number on the tire. The last 4 digits begin with 3XXX. I got a new tire that starts with 4XXX. And I will keep a lookout for the blistering.

3. Told Mark about the tire running backwards and he stated these are scooter tires and this really does not make a difference in a tailer application. However I will put mine back on so it rotates properly.

4. Told Mark I am planning on painting the wheel same color as the Silver on the LT's. So he asks me if I want to take a wheel, tire, bearings, spacers and valve stem separately. That way I would not need to take off the tire. Sure but I did ask him to install the bearings. When he went to install the bearings he did apply a Loctite 609 product on the bearings outer diameter. He stated that some owners replace bearings but do not use the proper assembly products and the bearings can slip and damage the bearing housing - where have I heard that before.

So I am off to painting and re-assembly. Now if I can only remember the paint number for the LT Wheel Silver - somewhere on the site someone mentioned a compatible paint as I recall . . . hmmm!

Dan Finazzo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in