Help - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jan 7th, 2008, 12:20 pm Thread Starter

Help

I have aquired a 2000 LT Champagne and love it. I have been told by the second owner that the first owner had it converted to a sidecar rig but put it back cause he did not like it. I feel that the suspension is low in the rear end, cause when I go around corners I can scrape the bottom. I there something done with the rear subframe or shocks that would cause this? What is involved with making a bike like this a sidecar rig? I am a big guy so at 6'3" and 275lbs this might contribute maybe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jan 7th, 2008, 12:28 pm

Laurence,

I think a side car conversion would have modified the tupperware.

How agressive are you riding? I scrape "all the time" (center stand, foot pegs, lower fairing, etc). I could benefit from new Ohlins (or other) shocks, but I'm still in overdraft protection in the "love-bank".

There is a knob under the driver's seat that controls the shock preload. Lift the seat, pivot it up and rotate the knob clock wise.

If you don't feel any (or very little) resistance, you may need to add some oil. Seems BMW was a little stingy on the shock oil and most have had to "top it off". There is a procedure listed somewhere on the site.

How many miles on your bike?

Joe

2005 KLT "Old Blue"

Bruno the "Bugg"

Democracy will only exist until 51% of the population believes they can live off the other 49% .
post #3 of 5 Old Jan 7th, 2008, 8:12 pm

Try the shock oil replenish first, buy you might need new shocks. I used to scrape bottom while the wife is on the back and she would cringe every time. Got new shocks, wife is happy.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.

post #4 of 5 Old Jan 7th, 2008, 9:18 pm Thread Starter

Thanks

Thank you. I will look into refilling the shocks and maybe get new ones. I should go ahead and get some for my GSA also. I guess alittle OT is in my schedule. There are cutouts for the side car frame and there seems to be a tab/braket welded to the rear subframe. No big deal though I love the bike and hope that my daughter will ride with me on the LT, she's scared of the GSA.
post #5 of 5 Old Jan 11th, 2008, 8:49 pm

shock oil replenish

http://members.cox.net/slartidbartfa.../shock-oil.htm

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in