test ride - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Nov 18th, 2007, 8:26 am Thread Starter

test ride

My S.O. is really wanting to buy a KLT trike. Of course before we spend the big $$ she wants to ride one. Does anybody have them available for test drives? We are still undecided whether to trike out the 03 and buy a newer one for me or, to buy one already done. Maybe a used trike is also in the equation. Thanks for the info.

2Wheelroadtrip (Barney)
03 LTC
82 Aspencade
Time Out camper

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It's not where we go. It's that we go.

The information from this site and its members has proven to be invaluable again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Nov 18th, 2007, 3:35 pm

My wife rides an 03 Goldwing Trike and loves it. I guess I was jealous or whatever and at the end of Sept I bought an 03 K1200LT with the Hannigan trike conversion. I love the trike but am now questioning my sanity. Why would we have two trikes? So if you have any interest in purchasing my low miles LT or maybe a trade let me know.

A couple can really enjoy a trike. Riding double is what they are meant for. Before getting the Honda trike for Sara I would never have ridden on the back with her driving her Honda Valkrie. I love riding on the back of her trike. We go and go. An auxillary gas tank may be in our future so we can keep on going. But two trikes in one family makes no sense now that I have gone and spent the money I wish I had not. I love the BMW but know that Sara will not part with her trike under any circumstances.

The weather is still great here in SW Colorado. Come on down for a test drive.

And if you want photos and details I'd be happy to oblige.... Mac
post #3 of 7 Old Nov 18th, 2007, 4:55 pm

I don't know of any place that has LT trikes sitting on the lot for you to test ride. Most of the BMW shops that represent Hannigan, order the kit when you want to trike an LT. That being said, I did get to test ride a 2002 LT trike at CCR this year. At the time the trike was For Sale and they were hoping to get a buyer.

If my knees ever give up enough that I can't hold and LT up any more, there WILL BE one parked in my garage!!

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."

post #4 of 7 Old Nov 18th, 2007, 5:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
...If my knees ever give up enough that I can't hold and LT up any more, there WILL BE one parked in my garage!!
Something like this...?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM4587_small.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	15278  

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #5 of 7 Old Nov 18th, 2007, 6:40 pm

Hannigan has trikes available for test ride.......................................
You're a little far or I'd let S.O. try mine........................................

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #6 of 7 Old Dec 8th, 2007, 6:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Wheelroadtrip
My S.O. is really wanting to buy a KLT trike. Of course before we spend the big $$ she wants to ride one. Does anybody have them available for test drives? We are still undecided whether to trike out the 03 and buy a newer one for me or, to buy one already done. Maybe a used trike is also in the equation. Thanks for the info.
I too think that a trike is beginning to make sense for me. I have been doing some (limited) research on touring trikes. Hannigan as most know is the only company building a kit for the K LT but several companies build kits for the Gold Wing. Because of the variety of trike kit options, I started looking closer at the G-W than ever before. It's a nice comfortable bike and appears to be very durable and trouble free for the most part. It handles well, especially for it's heft, on smooth road surfaces. On the other hand, it is thirsty and the fit/finish is not quite up to the K LT, in my opinion.

I hope others will pipe in with their trike experiences as I believe the trike market is about to explode.

In the meantime, I need to get off my duff and sell my Grinnall Scorpion 3 (reverse trike/three wheel sports car with K1100LT drivetrain) to make room!

Cheers,
Ben
post #7 of 7 Old Dec 16th, 2007, 7:24 pm

There is a 2007 K1200LT / Hannigan on eBay right now. If I were bidding I'd go up to $27,000. You might even get it for less. I paid $23K for my 2003 in Sept.

Between my wife and I we have a 2003 Goldwing Hannigan and a 2003 KLT Hannigan. They are different in many ways. Both ride well and handle well. I like the sporty performance of the Beemer. What exactly does that mean? Well it is subjective but I feel the BMW accelerates faster and in general feels more like a sports car. The Honda is great but like a limo.

My wife is 6ft tall and feels more comfortable on the GW I on the other hand am 5'6" and the Beemer feels great.

I have also have a Honda VTX1800R. I can't say which is more fun. I have done a 6,000 mile ride on the VTX. For future long distance rides I'll take a trike. I like the relaxed riding style and the carrying capacity of the trike.

Hannigan makes the best conversion kits in my opinion.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in