Uni-go help! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Oct 11th, 2007, 6:02 pm Thread Starter

Uni-go help!

To make a very long story short, I took my first test ride today. I bought a used trailer and then a Bushtec hitch (only thing available) for my R12RT. It works great on the back roads. Time was limited so I only rode at freeway speed for a few miles on the Interstate. There were a lot of Semi's in the few miles I rode. At 70mph it felt a little squirrely. I din't get a chance to try it at higher speed with no trucks around. I am ready to ride 2K miles next week. Do I need to know anything, or is this normal? I had about 36# of gear in the trailer which related to 36# of tongue weight. I tried to keep the weight towards the rear. Tell me something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Oct 11th, 2007, 6:39 pm

Gene,

A 36# payload does not equate to anywhere near #36 tongue weight. If it was toward the rear you probably had 10# or less tongue weight. I find that the more weight I have in it the better it behaves. I tend to pack it in as it fits so it will not shift and not worry much about fore and aft distribution. Also don't overinflate the trailer tire. I learned very early that an empty trailer with 30# of air in tire will make it REAL squirrelly.

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
'01 LTC
'99 Icon champagne
'02 KLR 650
TZ 185 2 stroke
Honda R100R beater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old Oct 11th, 2007, 6:52 pm Thread Starter

Jeff,
Thanks for your reply. I didn't verify this, but I think an empty (Uni-go) trailer would have 20# of tongue weight. Your sig doesn't say what trailer you have. All of the cargo weight is ahead of the axle, so anything you put in the trailer will add to the tongue weight. I'm still looking for help.

post #4 of 11 Old Oct 11th, 2007, 7:02 pm

With you sitting on your bike how is the Uni-go sitting. It should be almost level. If the front of the trailer is sloping upward then you need to adjust the tongue of the trailer. There are 4 large allen bolts to remove and then you adjust the tongue.

Also on the Uni-go reciever on the bike their should be a screw that you tighten after attaching the trailer.

The early Uni-go hitches did not have this. Without the screw if you connected the trailer and then pushed the trailer from side to side there would be a slight amount of wobble. At speed the trailer would be in dirty air behind the bike. You could feel it doing the side to side wobble while riding. After Uni-go sent me the pin that problem was gone.

You will also want to check the bearing preload on the axle regularly. The bearings they use are not a good fit to the axle bolt. If the preload is loose then the inside bearing race will spin on the axle. Good luck triing to find a replacement bolt that long while on the road.

My trailer was stable at top speed on the bike I had at the time, a K100RT.

The build quality of my trailer was complete crap though. I had constant problems with it. After the second low grade axle bolt broke at the beginning of the threads I had had enough. I sold it and bought a Bushtec.
post #5 of 11 Old Oct 11th, 2007, 7:08 pm

Every thing you put in is not all tongue weight. The closer the weight is to the wheel the less weight it is putting on the tongue. Put the tongue on a scale & move a 20# weight around in the trailer. You could put 100# in the trailer & still have 20#-30# tongue weight. Now if you could get the weight behind the wheel, you could get negative tongue weight but, you can't do that.
post #6 of 11 Old Oct 11th, 2007, 7:20 pm

Got my unigo in 2002, have put 20k+ miles on it behind my '99 LT

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
'01 LTC
'99 Icon champagne
'02 KLR 650
TZ 185 2 stroke
Honda R100R beater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 Old Oct 11th, 2007, 7:40 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_E
Every thing you put in is not all tongue weight. The closer the weight is to the wheel the less weight it is putting on the tongue. Put the tongue on a scale & move a 20# weight around in the trailer. You could put 100# in the trailer & still have 20#-30# tongue weight. Now if you could get the weight behind the wheel, you could get negative tongue weight but, you can't do that.
Big E,
I certainly agree with your first two sentences. As I stated I think there is about 20# tongue weight empty, and adding 36# took the tongue weight to about 36#, but there is no way you could put 100# in the trailer and have 20-30# of tongue weight.
post #8 of 11 Old Oct 11th, 2007, 7:50 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridealot
With you sitting on your bike how is the Uni-go sitting. It should be almost level. If the front of the trailer is sloping upward then you need to adjust the tongue of the trailer. There are 4 large allen bolts to remove and then you adjust the tongue.

Also on the Uni-go reciever on the bike their should be a screw that you tighten after attaching the trailer.

The early Uni-go hitches did not have this. Without the screw if you connected the trailer and then pushed the trailer from side to side there would be a slight amount of wobble. At speed the trailer would be in dirty air behind the bike. You could feel it doing the side to side wobble while riding. After Uni-go sent me the pin that problem was gone.

You will also want to check the bearing preload on the axle regularly. The bearings they use are not a good fit to the axle bolt. If the preload is loose then the inside bearing race will spin on the axle. Good luck triing to find a replacement bolt that long while on the road.

My trailer was stable at top speed on the bike I had at the time, a K100RT.

The build quality of my trailer was complete crap though. I had constant problems with it. After the second low grade axle bolt broke at the beginning of the threads I had had enough. I sold it and bought a Bushtec.
Ridealot,
The info you have furnished is helpful. I think my trailer ride height is proper. I did have my rear spring preload set at pass. plus luggage (ESA). I'm not sure if I had my side tension bolt tight, I wasn't sure of the purpose of it, but I will test again tomorrow. Thanks.
post #9 of 11 Old Oct 11th, 2007, 8:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkgeiger
Ridealot,
The info you have furnished is helpful. I think my trailer ride height is proper. I did have my rear spring preload set at pass. plus luggage (ESA). I'm not sure if I had my side tension bolt tight, I wasn't sure of the purpose of it, but I will test again tomorrow. Thanks.
Before I added the tension bolt I could feel the trailer wobbling slightly. But it never felt what I would call squirrely. I think it bothered the people riding behind me more than it bothered me. Good luck on the next test ride.

Oh and my trailer always felt stable. It didn't matter if I had 10# in it or fully loaded with 70# of camping gear.
post #10 of 11 Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 4:16 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridealot
Before I added the tension bolt I could feel the trailer wobbling slightly. But it never felt what I would call squirrely. I think it bothered the people riding behind me more than it bothered me. Good luck on the next test ride.

Oh and my trailer always felt stable. It didn't matter if I had 10# in it or fully loaded with 70# of camping gear.
I just returned from a 2000 mile trip with my trailer. I don't know if the tension bolt was my problem, but the trailer towed wonderfully. I went through the WV Turnpike at 75-80mph and never had a slight wiggle except for when I was near a semi. I am very pleased, but would like a better hitch. Thanks for all of your help.
post #11 of 11 Old Jan 6th, 2008, 11:11 pm

I am planning to buy a Unigo becuase of the lighter weight. I don't need to carry a lot of weight and dragging around a second wheel and the axel seem to be a waste. Where was your trailer manufactured? NZ or Canada?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in