Tow weight? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 4:47 am Thread Starter

Tow weight?

Could the K1200lt tow a 375kg caravan?

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 5:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by c00k1e
Over here in the colonies we use lbs., so I'm not sure of that converted weight.
I have towed about 800lbs once for a very short distance (about 20 miles, had trailer loaded with magazines for Thunder in the Valley) will not do it again, should be about half of that for a max weight.
Moving it is not the issue, stopping it is the problem.
Rock

I'll will poisons the soul
Living well is the best revenge
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rock

post #3 of 10 Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 7:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRock
Over here in the colonies we use lbs., so I'm not sure of that converted weight.
I have towed about 800lbs once for a very short distance (about 20 miles, had trailer loaded with magazines for Thunder in the Valley) will not do it again, should be about half of that for a max weight.
Rock
k37 kg is about 827 lbs. I'd say that's a lot for an Lt to handle. That amount of weight is for sure going to overload the bike suspension and the max safe load on the rear tire. Plus, as UncleRock says, it's gona be a handful to stop!

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #4 of 10 Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 7:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRock
Rock
k375 kg is about 827 lbs. I'd say that's a lot for an Lt to handle. That amount of weight is for sure going to overload the bike suspension and the max safe load on the rear tire. Plus, as UncleRock says, it's gona be a handful to stop!

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #5 of 10 Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 9:34 am

What kind of trailer are you thinking about?

My opinion is that it would just plain be unsafe...

Besides burning out the clutch to get it moving, you would probably require double the braking distance, and would definitely need electric brakes on the trailer - a pain in the butt to keep properly adjusted. Driving in traffic would be miserable, you would have to be on the power curve all the time to control it.

That much weight would also push you hard into corners - VERY unstable.

I've pulled up to 400 lbs (half of 375kg) for many years and always felt that is about the max for safety, I prefer it when I'm down to 300 or less...

I currently wear out my rear tire twice as fast when towing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ron's BMW trailer 005.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	14121   Click image for larger version

Name:	luggage rack.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	14122   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ron's BMW trailer 012.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	14123   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ron's BMW trailer 006.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	14124   Click image for larger version

Name:	Utah vacation pictures 025.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	14125  

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #6 of 10 Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 9:56 am

Not to change this into a tire thread, but TJ from Bridgestone tire company did a seminar every day at CCR. He said that there is not tire today that is made for the LT that has the proper load rating when towing a trailer. It seems that when towing a trailer and you apply the brakes it shifts a lot of weight on the rear tire, exceeding the load rating of the tire and possibly causing a failure. Unless your trailer has electric brakes, be careful! He said that Dunlop will be coming out with a "super" rated tire in about six months that will handle the trailer setups.
Just my $.02

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #7 of 10 Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 10:32 am Thread Starter

Thanks all. I was looking at what looked like a tiny caravan, but it turns out that it is far heftier than it needs to be.
I am ganna have to build my own that is far lighter I think

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #8 of 10 Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 1:00 pm

Talking Not a good idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by c00k1e
If you want to tow a trailer AND stop it AND not over load your tires, trike your LT.

Safety Wisdom from the Bridgestone tire guy at CCR. T J Tennent.

That's what I learned from his 1 1/2 hour seminar.

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #9 of 10 Old Sep 5th, 2007, 3:36 am Thread Starter

With it looking like the rear drive has gone AGAIN - I am very tempted!

post #10 of 10 Old Sep 5th, 2007, 9:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
My opinion is that it would just plain be unsafe...

Besides burning out the clutch to get it moving, you would probably require double the braking distance, and would definitely need electric brakes on the trailer - a pain in the butt to keep properly adjusted. Driving in traffic would be miserable, you would have to be on the power curve all the time to control it.

That much weight would also push you hard into corners - VERY unstable.

I currently wear out my rear tire twice as fast when towing.
Yes to all EXCEPT BRAKING DISTANCE X 5
It did push so hard in corners that I had to look and see if I had rolled the gas grabbing the brake.
I get about 6K on an M880 rear when pulling the trailer 10-11K solo.
Cookie there are lots of lite pop ups out there.
Rock

I'll will poisons the soul
Living well is the best revenge

Rock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in