Uni-go Project Completed - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Aug 21st, 2007, 2:20 am Thread Starter

Talking Uni-go Project Completed

Completed the rebuild of a New Zealand model Uni-go I acquired recently. Replaced the u-joint, bearings and color matched it to my LT. I also had the front "rhino coated" to help protect it from road rash. I am pretty happy with the transformation.

The best part was taking it out for a ride today to see how it handled. My first impression was: It felt strange not being able to see it once under way. I had my wife look back a few times just to make sure it was still attached. Donít know if itís because of the recent cam gear upgrade, along with the Remus exhaust system I already had, but I felt absolutely no difference in power availability, suspension (Ohlins) or how the LT handled in general. The trailer only had about thirty pounds of weight in it, just to keep it from bouncing around. But I cannot imagine that even if we double that weight it would change the positive results we saw today.

It will make our upcoming west coast trip a real pleasure. We plan on just putting what we normally carry in the top case, top case rack bag and side cases in the Uni-go. Freeing up those spaces just for our helmets while stopped and day needs: camera, water etc. Plus we will no longer need our top case bag we normally would carry. It just added weight to an already top heavy motorcycle.

When we stopped for gas, and at a restaurant for lunch, we were approached by individuals who had never seen a single wheel motorcycle trailer. We were questioned at length on where they could get one, how much it cost and how did it handle on the road. We will definitely be keeping it in our room when stopped for the night. I am also replacing the lock pins that hold my Dauntless hitch on, along with the trailer, with pad locks.

May we never find the end of the road!

Perry Ridgway

oknplm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	007.JPG
Views:	594
Size:	302.1 KB
ID:	13857   Click image for larger version

Name:	010.JPG
Views:	1422
Size:	315.5 KB
ID:	13858  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Aug 21st, 2007, 5:39 am

Looks great!

My '05 LT is the same color as yours, and I am getting ready to do the same for my NZ Unigo.

Where did you find the matching gold paint, and which U-Joint did you use?

Thanks!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 Old Aug 21st, 2007, 7:07 am

Well done.

I like the Rhino liner on the leading surface of the trailer. I think that would provide much more protection than the plastic film pieces they put on them now. The optional "bra" has its own issues, too -- it can scratch the paint, has to be taken off to wash the trailer, etc. A permanent coating is the way to go. I may take my Uni-go to a local Rhino Liner shop. Thanks for the idea!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]

post #4 of 19 Old Aug 21st, 2007, 7:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Well done.

I like the Rhino liner on the leading surface of the trailer. I think that would provide much more protection than the plastic film pieces they put on them now. The optional "bra" has its own issues, too -- it can scratch the paint, has to be taken off to wash the trailer, etc. A permanent coating is the way to go. I may take my Uni-go to a local Rhino Liner shop. Thanks for the idea!
Or, save yourself a few bucks and do it yourself. They sell the spray at auto parts stores. Use acetone to knock the wax, etc. off, rough it with some 1000 grit, mask it off and shoot. Do fine coats till you get the build up you want. It will get knicked and it's easy to touch up.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #5 of 19 Old Aug 21st, 2007, 12:38 pm Thread Starter

Deputy5211

Asked the local BMW dealer which painter they used for repairs. The body shop recommended had access to a BMW paint supply by code number. The u-joint part number I found on this forum: NAPA #210-0153. After researching the front cover options I picked the "Rhino" product. It's very durable, even the military uses it. The cost was only 90 dollars. I also had them spray the wheel well and the underside of the body for total protection. Let the paint cure for at least a week before having the Rhino coating applied. I then put a couple of coats of "ICE" car wax on everything, including the Rhino lining and put it back together. If you have not used "ICE" wax yet it is great. You don't have to worry about wax marks on black areas like rubber, Rhino lining etc. It leaves no white wax residue.

Perry Ridgway

oknplm

My '05 LT is the same color as yours, and I am getting ready to do the same for my NZ Unigo.

Where did you find the matching gold paint, and which U-Joint did you use?

Thanks![/QUOTE]
post #6 of 19 Old Aug 21st, 2007, 12:56 pm

So, Perry, have any fun getting the old u-joint out? We broke a steenkeen vise at my house.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #7 of 19 Old Aug 21st, 2007, 1:36 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs down

Used a big vise, hot air gun and I also have a u-joint removal tool, with no success. Started to think epoxy or high strength loctite was use on it when originally installed. Wasted two hours working on it with absolutely no progress. A real pain in the %[email protected]#. Took it to a shop that does u-joints. They used a hydraulic press and it sound like a gun shot when it broke free. Well worth the 20 dollars it cost. That is one tight fitting u-joint.

Perry Ridgway

oknplm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
So, Perry, have any fun getting the old u-joint out? We broke a steenkeen vise at my house.
post #8 of 19 Old Aug 21st, 2007, 4:11 pm
Gold Supporter

Okay, stupid question time, if the U-joint is so well installed, why change it

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #9 of 19 Old Aug 21st, 2007, 4:29 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewuff
Okay, stupid question time, if the U-joint is so well installed, why change it
Simple my good man !!! The "Needle bearing" inside the u-joint wear out/ get broke/ burn up from no grease.

Stevie Shreeve
post #10 of 19 Old Aug 21st, 2007, 5:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
Simple my good man !!! The "Needle bearing" inside the u-joint wear out/ get broke/ burn up from no grease.
There are no needles inside a stock Unigo u-joint. That baby is brass to brass and a real ass to get out.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #11 of 19 Old Aug 21st, 2007, 5:46 pm
Gold Supporter

So, the question remains

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #12 of 19 Old Aug 21st, 2007, 7:04 pm Thread Starter

I am assuming you do not know how u-joints work. Or most importantly how they are installed in this application. It is pressed into the trailer tongue and hitch unit of the uni-go. This friction fit has absolutely nothing to do with the actual moving parts of the u-joint, other than hold it in place. To be proactive I upgraded to a needle bearing u-joint that can be externally greased. In all likelihood it will outlast the trailer. Replacing a u-joint in this application is something I would not want to deal with on the road, when most problems seem to occur. I also found out during my research of the uni-go that u-joint and bearing failure was not that uncommon. The cost to replace these items:

Bearings 18.00 dollars
U-joint 12.00 dollars
Peace of Mind "Priceless"

Perry Ridgway

oknplm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewuff
So, the question remains
post #13 of 19 Old Aug 21st, 2007, 7:09 pm

And running brass to brass with no means to grease leads to stiction and friction. I don't think I'd lose sleep over it, Jerry, but consider doing it down the road. All thangs mechanical need care.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #14 of 19 Old Aug 21st, 2007, 9:24 pm

I can get it out.... right Grif?

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #15 of 19 Old Aug 21st, 2007, 9:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
I can get it out.... right Grif?
Righto! I think you used every tool I have except the oxy-cetylene.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #16 of 19 Old Aug 21st, 2007, 10:51 pm

I like the look of the rhino lining. What body shop did the painting for you? Great job overall!!!

Glenn
post #17 of 19 Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 2:16 am

I had replaced the frozen u-joint on my unigo with the NAPA part, but I had a severe case of trailer wag at high speeds and passing trucks. I replaced the NAPA joint with the UniGo joint (has tighter joint for lateral movement) and the wag is much less.

Current
2016 Yamaha FJR1300A (Cobalt Blue)
1973 Honda CL350 (Red)

Previous
2001 K1200LT Pacific Blue
and a long list...
post #18 of 19 Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 5:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rspyder
I had replaced the frozen u-joint on my unigo with the NAPA part, but I had a severe case of trailer wag at high speeds and passing trucks. I replaced the NAPA joint with the UniGo joint (has tighter joint for lateral movement) and the wag is much less.
I never had the wag. Be sure all the frame, body work and hitch plate are straight and true. The NZ hitch was notorious for being off some.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #19 of 19 Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 11:42 am Thread Starter

Impact Collision & Custom Services
1875 Airport Inductrial Park Drive
Marietta, GA 30060
770-952-9421

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorglenn
I like the look of the rhino lining. What body shop did the painting for you? Great job overall!!!

Glenn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in