bmwk1200LT with hannigan sidecar - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Aug 12th, 2007, 12:37 pm Thread Starter

bmwk1200LT with hannigan sidecar

being a new sidecarist , is it normal that at low speed the handlebar shakes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 8:57 pm

A.
Either as a 2 wheeler or as a 3 wheeler sc my KLT has zero shake at any speed that I have ridden. I do my own r & r of my tires and that includes balancing to a single gram weight. This waggle in the handle bars is somewhat common with the 2 wheel K1200LT riders especially when upon rolling off or slowing up (20-30 mph) they lighten or remove their essential hands from the grips! As a 2 wheeler I have ridden for miles with my hands very close (re ready) on my K12LT and have never had any waggle or even a ripple of the handle bars.
It would be good if some of our experienced sc folks (patric and others) would weigh in here.
My K1200LT is my riding BB........... Benign Beauty!

My wife and I just got in from an evening ride and always like to make it home before twilight. Beautiful! Around here at that time you can ride for a half hour and never see a car and thus pick your own speed. Wonderful!

A. it is too bad that BMW of Rockford closed. It was a great place to meet up with others. We should do that.

Does your KLT have the steering mod kit that reduces the "trail"? You would know this if your steering is very light (no effort at any speed). Or, you would know by measuring the wheel base............ it is about 2" longer than a stock K1200LT. Or, you would know if especially at low speeds it takes "effort" to turn............. like a 1955 Ford w/o power steering. All this might help to track down the handle bar shakes. The other one is whether your steering dampner is working properly................ to test that you really need the front end off the ground (tire clear).

Carl

K1200LT w/ KLT s/c
K1100LT w/ ECC
KLR-650

N9BMN
FD <> 4%
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

bmwmoa 100984

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Tourdog; Aug 13th, 2007 at 9:21 pm.
post #3 of 9 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 10:29 pm Thread Starter

Hi Carl,

Yes I do have the steering lite --- I guess I am just being too cautious when making my right turns ...( a novice I am)

That would be fun to meet with other experienced riders ...

I took my sidecar for a ride tonight . My son thinks its " sweet " --- it is so relaxing and everybody waves at you !

Thank You

A

post #4 of 9 Old Aug 14th, 2007, 8:53 am

My trike has steer lite and I was warnede by Hannigan to expect a headshake @ about 25 mph when hitting a bump.....................................
My boy does it when I cross railroad tracks at slow speed. I just relax and let him get thru it..................

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #5 of 9 Old Aug 14th, 2007, 11:09 am

A.
Good on the evening rides................... and welcome to the SDF (Sidecar Delay Factor). Whether your infront of Starbucks or filling up at Mobile your guaranteed an audience! I have said, "Owning/ riding one of these is not for introverts"!
The rig seems pretty solid. If you read Hal Kendall's books and glean the technical parts the moment arm length we have off to our right is close to 58" of track width (center of rear tire to center of sc tire). The centroid of the sc of course is about half that but overall most of the sc(s) he talks about are lighter and much less track (re our machine is generally more stable in turns than what he references. I jacked up my sc/ mc yesterday just to check how much weight is there and it is considerable. It seems some measured testing is in order for me just to see with and w/o passenger weight vs curve superelevation and whether posted speed limits concur readily or leave some degree of unease. Since I am used to electrically trimming (airplanes) I do trim into my tight turns and out again. (I am also adjusting the car ride height just to see how it affects the full range of electrical trim) Know the "tip over lines" and what happens if the centroid gets close or crosses is a plus in building confidence. You can feel the sc wheel lighten up as you crank in the hard right turns especially with no passenger or ballast or little super-elev. IMHO it is the left turn that is the devil because the centroid crosses the tip over line abruptly. Dave Hannigan has built a very safe, well engineered rig and I love it! (No narrow track and or high lightweight tippy rig here) Well the nay-sayer says, "That is fine for the left turn but what about the right turn"?! The sayer says, "That wide track also gives you a place to put ballast weight to keep that sc wheel planted period". One doesn't have to be an expert on "teeter-totters" to know the advantages of weight and moment arm length and we have it in spades thanks to our OEM Hannigan. Plus, did I mention the rig is simply beautiful!

Carl

K1200LT w/ KLT s/c
K1100LT w/ ECC
KLR-650

N9BMN
FD <> 4%

bmwmoa 100984

post #6 of 9 Old Aug 14th, 2007, 11:28 am

StarFighter A.
Good deal on your KLT! The rig you have and the ones Agnes and I have are the Farrari's in the looks and engineering of modern 3 wheelers!

It is not the 3 wheel function or simply shortening the trail that brings on the unstable front wheel waggle.................... a number of 2 wheel bikes have this. AS anything there are trade-offs for engineering design. Light steering requires a fairly short "trail" and the closer to the instability of a super-market woogly caster/ cart. Standard m/c(s) like the K12LT as a 2 wheeler do (some) seem to have this malady. Great raging arguments prevail whether it is bump steering induced and/ or damper induced but it does happen and like you simply dampen it out with continued hand pressure. Perhaps with more and more CHS (center hub steering) becoming available we'll learn more from users on caster and very small trail mechanisms. Tires/ balancing/ roundness/ditto rims/ and steering head bearings.............. wow the list goes on!
Have you hooked a trailer to your KLT Trike yet?

Carl

K1200LT w/ KLT s/c
K1100LT w/ ECC
KLR-650

N9BMN
FD <> 4%

bmwmoa 100984

post #7 of 9 Old Aug 14th, 2007, 12:02 pm

Talking Trike & Trailer

I have an 05 LT with the Hannigan kit with the floorboards and aux. fuel tank. I pull an Aspen Sentry trailer. I just did an 18 day, 5000 mile trip in July pulling the trailer through all kinds of conditions (Hills, cross winds, etc). I got around 30mpg and the Golden Dragon (My Trike) had no problems pulling the trailer.

Randi Kobernik
2005 K1200LT with a 2007 Hannigan Trike Kit "The Dragon"

It is not wise to meddle in the affairs of Dragons for thou art crunchy and good with katsup.
post #8 of 9 Old Aug 14th, 2007, 1:21 pm

My experience with sidecars on Gold Wings would suggest that a little head shake when accelerating from a stop is normal. Most manufacturers of side car rigs also offer additional steering dampers as an option. I added one to my '90 GW with the Champion chair and it totally fixed the problem.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #9 of 9 Old Aug 14th, 2007, 1:26 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

The LT has a steering damper. Should the original be replaced with a different one?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in