trailer questions - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jul 25th, 2007, 10:08 am Thread Starter

trailer questions

considering a trailer.......................................
my big question is should I get trailer brakes ?
The trailer (Trailmaster or Hannigan) weighs about 200 lbs plus load.
Do y'all have trailer brakes ?

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jul 25th, 2007, 12:23 pm
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile Quantum

Nope. With the brake setup on the LT, it would be very difficult to match the braking profile of both. I did ask. Fully loaded the "Q" is around 350 lb., the LT with us both on and luggage (standard touring) just under 600kg (1300lbs) so less than third in weight. Properly loaded the trailer hitch at 10% (35lbs, also included in bikes AUW) the LTs well up to the task of stopping it all. Just remember to stay straight.

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #3 of 8 Old Jul 25th, 2007, 12:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARFIGHTER
considering a trailer.......................................
my big question is should I get trailer brakes ?
The trailer (Trailmaster or Hannigan) weighs about 200 lbs plus load.
Do y'all have trailer brakes ?
Can't answer specific to the Trailmaster or Hannigan, but our FULLY loaded Bushtec, two up, stops with no issues...wet or dry. Awesome!!

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 Old Jul 25th, 2007, 5:06 pm Thread Starter

Thanx.....................
No added brakes..................

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #5 of 8 Old Jul 26th, 2007, 11:40 pm

Cool

I have the TrailMaster Aspen Classic camper which I have found to be a great asset when you are traveling two up. You have enough room to carry more than you need and a place to lay your head without paying $100.00 a night.

As for braking, the LT will stop the wife and I with the camper behind us, but it is a planned stop. If I had to pull a panic stop, I don't think it would be nice. So I have added a brake controller to the LT. It is a proportional controller that works on the braking force sesnsed on the LT. I bought the camper with the electric brakes. I just finished up the wiring tonight and on the final check, the unit is working, no fault codes came back when powered up.

I have a trip planned in the near future and will post my thoughts of the added braking power. I have towed heavier trailers, over 400 lbs, behind the LT with no problems, but that was just me. Going two up I just want a little extra stopping power.

hth, tcars
John

John Carver
K1200LTC, AMA, BMWMOA
Greensboro, GA

post #6 of 8 Old Jul 27th, 2007, 6:55 am

I have pulled a cargo trailer with my Suzuki GS650L. We were taking a trip with another couple and the lady thought that "only one change of clothes and only one towel a day was nowhere enough". My S.O. and I had our own bikes. I decided to build a hitch and pull a trailer that I had available to me. I thought I could get by without having to tie all my stuff on my bike.I said I would have some extra room for the other couples stuff. I ended up with about 150lbs of stuff on my bike and the trailer and their stuff weighed 340 lbs. I had no real problems stopping. The one emergency type stop went very well and that bike didn't have the near the brakes the LT has. I now pull a time out camper with the LT and have pulled it with the old goldwing for many miles. No problem with either bike. The time out fully loaded weighs 550 lbs. I would not pay extra for brakes on the trailer. If it came with brakes already installed I would spend the $$ to install a brake controller. Just another opinion....

2Wheelroadtrip (Barney)
03 LTC
82 Aspencade
Time Out camper

It's not where we go. It's that we go.

The information from this site and its members has proven to be invaluable again.
post #7 of 8 Old Jul 27th, 2007, 8:54 am

Buy the brakes

Most people don't ride the way, I do or in some of the places I go.
There have been at least 5 times I really wished I had a brake set up on the trailer.
I pull an Aspen Ambassodor these days (white elephant)
Worst one
Coming up I 95 from Key west, up around Titusville Fla. I'm doing 80-85 mph come around the bend and traffic is at a dead stop.
Banging them down as fast as I can rollback flatbed in my lane to the front (lucky for me, professional driver watching behind him when stopped on interstate) concrete bridge/drainage enbunkment on the left about 4' high.
I'm gonna get between the truck and the concrete, but the whole bike ain't going through and definitly the trailer is getting ripped off.
All I'm concerned with is getting me launched through the open slot.
The flat bed driver sees me dumps clutch and hops forward as far as he can go. Which gave me enough room to hit the grass at 50mph trailer still in tow
( I was not the only one, there were about 8 vehicles in the grass, looked like the infield at a NASCAR race)it was a little squiggy but I rode it out.
Rock

I'll will poisons the soul
Living well is the best revenge

Rock

post #8 of 8 Old Jul 28th, 2007, 10:01 pm

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRock
Most people don't ride the way, I do or in some of the places I go.
There have been at least 5 times I really wished I had a brake set up on the trailer.
I pull an Aspen Ambassodor these days (white elephant)
Worst one

Rock:

You have no idea how close I came to getting the Ambassador. I loved the dual bed setup it has. That is perfect if it is two guys traveling, or if you and the spouse/friend, then pull out the bed extension and you had a queen bed for two. The thing you don't have with the Ambassador is big storage once you open the camper up. That was what made me decide to go with the Aspen Classic. I can lock that big cargo bay up and have no worry on it being easily accessed. The worst part of the camper, now I have enough room to carry everything I need, often including the kitchen sink. :-) I've got stuff stored in those lower wells and I have no idea of what all is there, that is bad. bgof

tcars
John

John Carver
K1200LTC, AMA, BMWMOA
Greensboro, GA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in