gotta love the Unigo - - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jul 11th, 2007, 9:55 pm Thread Starter

gotta love the Unigo -

Just slip it in the kitchen foyer and let the wife load it up all week for a midday Friday departure.

What's not to like about this setup?

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 7:23 pm

Hey John,

Is this a new one from the new manufacturer? How's the fit and finish? The pic looks great!

Al Hennigan
'03 Anthracite LTE
'09 GS Adventure
Middle Tennessee
post #3 of 9 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 7:49 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger6
Hey John,

Is this a new one from the new manufacturer? How's the fit and finish? The pic looks great!
Hi Al,

Yes, this is the new one from Ohio. Please take a look at this post of mine for more info on your other questions. However, you may want to ask Howard Schisler for his thoughts, as he just picked his up a couple weeks ago and I don't think he is quite as in love as we are.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...ighlight=unigo

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite

post #4 of 9 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 9:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlesj
Hi Al,

Yes, this is the new one from Ohio. Please take a look at this post of mine for more info on your other questions. However, you may want to ask Howard Schisler for his thoughts, as he just picked his up a couple weeks ago and I don't think he is quite as in love as we are.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...ighlight=unigo
It's not that bad, John. I just wasn't pleased at the wait (even though I wasn't in a hurry for it), the slow replies to email, and the clean-up work they had to do when I picked it up. I haven't even used the trailer yet, but I did finally get 2 pics of it. These were pics they took with their camera because I left mine at home. Took them almost 2 weeks just to email me 2 photos... I know, they're busy.

I'll do a write-up after we use it, which will probably be CCR. In the meantime, here are the 2 pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	my LT and new Unigo 1_small.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	13098   Click image for larger version

Name:	my LT and new Unigo 2_small.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	13099  

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 9:29 pm Thread Starter

Hey, that looks great Howard.

I just didn't want to mislead anyone. Wanted everyone to get all sides of the whole purchase adventure.

We are packed and ready for our first 2 up outing, just a quick camping trip but excited none the less. I rode solo up to Buffalo, WV last week. The trailer pulled great.

We still aren't sure about CCR, but I bet Judy will want to go at the last minute if we are able to get away. Hope so.

Oh, BTW, here is what we have in it right now.

2 sleeping bags
3 man tent
2 self inflate air mattresses
2 folding camp chairs
Flashlight
Leatherman
2 coffee cups
2 pillows
dust pan/broom
Tyvek ground cloth
Mallet
shower gear for 2
Breakfast food and bars
2 cereal bowls and utensils
Water jug
1 cup coffee pot
15' extension cord
2 sheets
2 towels
2 hand cloths
2 pair camp shoes
2 change of clothes

That's all I can think of.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite

Last edited by bowlesj; Jul 12th, 2007 at 9:35 pm.
post #6 of 9 Old Aug 1st, 2007, 9:14 pm

Finally Got Mine!

Well, after 13 weeks of waiting, finally was able to pick up my Uni-go today. Mark assembled the body to the chassis while I was there, wired up the connector and checked everything out. He was very meticulous. Towed it back to Cleveland from Cincinatti and it pulled great. I've been pulling a big Bunkhouse camper to a few rallies this summer (Weight probably about 450 lbs), so this was a breeze. The standard line "you don't know its back there" does apply to this trailer. More than I can say for the Bunkhouse.

I think he finally has all the bugs out and should start cranking out these trailers in shorter lead times.

I'm sure we're really going to enjoy this trailer. It really looks good behind an LT.

Carl

Euclid, Ohio
2003 Silver LTE
1971 HD XLH Sportster
post #7 of 9 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 9:34 pm

Congrats, Carl.

Any photos to share?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #8 of 9 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:00 pm

Another Uni-Go user -

Hello - I've been lurking around here for a while, mainly because I've gotten a lot of good Uni-Go info here. So, time to post a little...

I ride an '03 K12GT, and got my Uni-Go on the road in early May. I mainly frequent the K-bikes.com board, and posted this there yesterday:

We returned two weeks ago from a 2200 mile trip with the Uni-Go to the BMW MOA National in West Bend, Wisconsin.

The Uni-Go ran well, i.e. I'm glad I had it. My wife's bike had only her tankbag on it, which is the main reason why I bought this thing, and believe me we had it loaded. There was enough make-up in there that I almost thought I'd need a haz-mat license. I will say that rolling it into your hotel room is really great!

My biggest concern has not been tracking so much as the effect of a fully loaded trailer on my bike's ('03GT) suspension performance. I weighed it fully-loaded (weight forward, and nothing heavy up high) before we left using my trusty bathroom scale, and found the wheel weight to be only 88lbs, and the tongue weight was 49lbs. The tongue weight is about what I'd expect if I had luggage strapped to my rear seat, but that weight is back a ways from the shock and is increased by this lever/fulcrum effect. Note that my bike received new Wilbers shocks fron and rear last year. Anyway, it doesn't seem like there's any detrimental effects on my suspension (no wallowing in a corner, bottoming-out, etc.).

Coming home to Vermont from Wisconsin, we were in the southern part of the Adirondacks, where we were immersed in something we hadn't seen in the midwest - curves. My buddy, who went out there with us on his VFR, commented on how aggressive I was hitting the corners - in the rain - towing a trailer! It was sheer joy at being back on great roads. But the point is the Uni-Go doesn't slow you down at all in the twisties. It tracks very well. I eye-balled the alignment of the trailer to my rear wheel and torqued the hitch bolts accordingly. I'm sure it would've been less fun with the stock shocks - the Ohlins will really help.

The GT is a little woosey in the turbulent air behind a big rig, even without towing the Uni-Go. I've felt the Uni-Go oscillation when behind a semi, and have learned to spend the minimum amount of time possible around them. The oscillation can get bad, but never so bad that it is a danger - it seems to be self-limiting. I've only felt it bad twice, and my strategy is to increase speed and get away from the truck. The wobble dies down once I'm next to the truck, and disappears when I'm past it. I've tried finding a sweet-spot behind semis by varying my following distance, but there's too many variables involved. Pass 'em!

I'm running 26lbs. religiously in the Uni-Go, and my alignment looks good. I've had the same hitch troubles T-brick had, and I'm still awaiting a new upper hitch. The one I have was an "interim" hitch fabricated by Mark Huffman specifically for my trip. It works OK, but we refer to it as Frankenhitch. T-brick has the same one I think. I'm not knocking Mark - he got me a working solution in time. I understand he's right out straight, so I'll be patient.

There's a lot of Uni-Go discussion on the BMW Luxury Touring board regarding Uni-Go - a lot of those boys pull trailers. Every one seems to like them, but they're not a plug-and-play type of accessory.

Any questions - fire away!

I like the Uni-Go. That's my wife's bike in the background (red '02 Honda VFR800, and my son's bike in the garage ('02 Suzuki SV650S).

I appreciate all the good info I've gotten from you guys here at BMW LT.

Thanks!
post #9 of 9 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 6:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Congrats, Carl.

Any photos to share?
Thanks Howard. Not yet, I'll try to take a few this weekend and post them.

Also, Thanks to Rapid-Reg for the towing info around the big rigs. I'll follow your advice to get around them quickly. Lots of good info in your post. You should fill out your profile and post more often - you do a good job.

Carl

Euclid, Ohio
2003 Silver LTE
1971 HD XLH Sportster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in