Help w/Unigo Hitch - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old Jun 6th, 2007, 9:29 pm Thread Starter

Question Help w/Unigo Hitch

In preparation for Saturday's pickup of a new Unigo trailer, I spent some time this evening installing the hitch they shipped me.

What a PITA. It's only 4 bolts (2 on each side, beneath the side cases), and the instructions clearly say it works best to do the left side first, but I can't get the left 2 to line up fore and aft. I can get the front one in but not the back, and vice versa. The 2 on the right side line up OK, but it's one or the other on the left side no matter what order I try them in, and with or without the right side bolts in place. The 2 on the left side simply don't line up... yet. The hitch needs to be about 1/8" longer on the left side. Presently I have 3 of the bolts in place and that's the way it's going to stay when I pull into Unigo on Saturday afternoon. I'll let them fight with it.

Any suggestions?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old Jun 6th, 2007, 9:58 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

When I had mine, on my first LT (2000), it took considerable amout of force to line them up. I believe I used a hammer at one point.

Take the hitch off and lay it on the ground. Take measurements to see if the legs are of equal length. You may need to tweak the whole thing.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #3 of 28 Old Jun 6th, 2007, 10:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
In preparation for Saturday's pickup of a new Unigo trailer, I spent some time this evening installing the hitch they shipped me.

What a PITA. It's only 4 bolts (2 on each side, beneath the side cases), and the instructions clearly say it works best to do the left side first, but I can't get the left 2 to line up fore and aft. I can get the front one in but not the back, and vice versa. The 2 on the right side line up OK, but it's one or the other on the left side no matter what order I try them in, and with or without the right side bolts in place. The 2 on the left side simply don't line up... yet. The hitch needs to be about 1/8" longer on the left side. Presently I have 3 of the bolts in place and that's the way it's going to stay when I pull into Unigo on Saturday afternoon. I'll let them fight with it.

Any suggestions?
Boy, that sounds like a jig problem during fabrication. Mine should be here tomorrow and I'll check it out right away. If I have the same problem, I'm thinking oversizing the holes in the bike subframe are the best way to go, as long as it isn't too much.

They recommend the left side due to the exhaust interference and access.

I'll let you know, Howard.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite

post #4 of 28 Old Jun 7th, 2007, 6:01 am Thread Starter

Raffy and John,

Thanks for the suggestions and comments.

I'll call Unigo today; they haven't replied to my email from Monday yet. If I had maybe another 1/16" inch forward movement on the left side it would work -- I just need enough movement so the bolt can grab the threads. Maybe enlarging the bolt hole is the way to go. I'll try that tonight after checking back for more replies.

Thanks.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #5 of 28 Old Jun 7th, 2007, 2:44 pm

Hey Howard

Try putting one side on, then get someone to put a foot on the center and tweak it till you can get both the other two bolts to start in. trying to do this alone is a PITA, keep us informed and we woulp;d like a full report when you start pulling the trailer.

I might be looking also, my wife is under the cant leave home without it theroy, and I dont mean my credit card.

Glen
Litchfield
post #6 of 28 Old Jun 7th, 2007, 7:31 pm

Hammers!!!! yeah!!!

http://www.thorshammervodka.com/

Thor's Hammer

Hail the mighty ones,
the actors and the gods,
the powerful.

Once a might hammer's blow
struck down from high
the heavens.
Such terror here
was never known
as Thor his wrath unleashed.
The weapon lost,
the god foul angered
looked down upon a giants home,
and there beheld
his prize possession
stolen and alone.
Angered still,
Sought he the aid
of one lone trickster
-- (Loki, plague and fraud)
and plans devised
a hundred fold,
all to regain his treasure.
Trickster Loki weddings saw
and dressed them both as women,
unto the giant gifts they gave
and one proposal of marriage.
Upon the chosen day at hand,
the hammer Thor reclaimed,
and crushed at last in sweet revenge
the thief who took his weapon.

By Jerome Dane (1/15/98)

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #7 of 28 Old Jun 7th, 2007, 7:47 pm

I was wondering when the BFH would come up.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #8 of 28 Old Jun 7th, 2007, 8:56 pm Thread Starter

Update: Mission Accomplished

Unigo advised reaming out the hole with a file. I tried that and made zero progress, which was good because the more I thought about it the more I didn't like the idea of one of the bolts having slop in it, possibly allowing the hitch to move around, etc. I abandoned that idea.

We measured the left side v. the right side of the bolt holes on the hitch. Left side was shorter by 1/16", as I suspected. (although the difference was in the bolt mounts, not the actual length of either side of the hitch itself; hope this makes sense) Noticing that one of the left-side mounts was not perpendicular to the left side of the hitch, we brought out an ordinary carpenter's hammer, gave it a few well-placed whacks, and guess what? It fits! Hitch is installed. Not so much of a PITA after all.

Like most things once you've done it, it's no big deal. Now that the bolt mounts match up to the bolt holes on the bottom of the side cases I could take the hitch off and put it back on in maybe 10 minutes, having done it several times now.

Thanks for the suggestions. Pix attached for your enlightenment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hitch 1.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	12285   Click image for larger version

Name:	hitch 2.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	12286   Click image for larger version

Name:	hitch 3.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	12287   Click image for larger version

Name:	holes.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	12288   Click image for larger version

Name:	mounted.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	12289  

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #9 of 28 Old Jun 7th, 2007, 9:15 pm

Good show, Howard. Wait till you try it with the beeg, beefy hitch for the Unigo. If your wife carried as much stuff as mine, you'll end up needing it after a few judicious welds.

In all fairness, I'll have to say that I rode the bike as hard with the trailer as without. Included strafing tweesties and whatever other various road happened upon.

Quote:
Unigo advised reaming out the hole with a file. I tried that and made zero progress, which was good because the more I thought about it the more I didn't like the idea of one of the bolts having slop in it, possibly allowing the hitch to move around, etc. I abandoned that idea.

We measured the left side v. the right side of the bolt holes on the hitch. Left side was shorter by 1/16", as I suspected. (although the difference was in the bolt mounts, not the actual length of either side of the hitch itself; hope this makes sense) Noticing that one of the left-side mounts was not perpendicular to the left side of the hitch, we brought out an ordinary carpenter's hammer, gave it a few well-placed whacks, and guess what? It fits! Hitch is installed. Not so much of a PITA after all.

Like most things once you've done it, it's no big deal. Now that the bolt mounts match up to the bolt holes on the bottom of the side cases I could take the hitch off and put it back on in maybe 10 minutes, having done it several times now.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #10 of 28 Old Jun 7th, 2007, 9:42 pm

http://www.freewebs.com/ryleh/brew.htm

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #11 of 28 Old Jun 7th, 2007, 9:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenhinegardner
Hey Howard

Try putting one side on, then get someone to put a foot on the center and tweak it till you can get both the other two bolts to start in. trying to do this alone is a PITA, keep us informed and we woulp;d like a full report when you start pulling the trailer.

I might be looking also, my wife is under the cant leave home without it theroy, and I dont mean my credit card.

Glen
Litchfield
We'll give you a double review. I pick mine up a week after Howard and should be able to put 1000 miles on it right away. Maybe Howard and I can get together for a double uni-go shot!

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #12 of 28 Old Jun 7th, 2007, 9:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlesj
Maybe Howard and I can get together for a double uni-go shot!
Up in the hills of Brokeback Mountain?
post #13 of 28 Old Jun 7th, 2007, 9:59 pm

Quote:

Nice job Howard. Wish I would have read this earlier. Mine is on the bike but was definitely misaligned also. It went together but way too tight and a good chance of stripping threads if not real careful.

Mine is so tight I could here the subframe flex when tightening the 4 bolts. Then when I went to close my left case it is tweaked at the lower hinge causing the latch to be a wee bit tighter than it was before the hitch mount. First time I have it off I'll look at tweaking the hitch for a better fit like you did.

Also wired up the trailer connector. Looked and looked at the relay and the LT wire diagram, read some threads, thought about it from my experience and decided to forego the isolation relay. Can't see a specific need. I don't think the ABS bus is a new enough generation to sense just an increase in current or resistance, I think it's looking for nearly an open circuit, as in a burned out tail light bulb.

If I'm wrong I'll throw the relay on at Schoolhouse when I pick the trailer up. As far as protection, the standard fuses are adequate.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #14 of 28 Old Jun 7th, 2007, 10:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Up in the hills of Brokeback Mountain?
Yea exactly. Can you shoot us a mapsource route how to get there?

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #15 of 28 Old Jun 7th, 2007, 10:51 pm

Quote:
Nice job Howard. Wish I would have read this earlier. Mine is on the bike but was definitely misaligned also. It went together but way too tight and a good chance of stripping threads if not real careful.

Mine is so tight I could here the subframe flex when tightening the 4 bolts. Then when I went to close my left case it is tweaked at the lower hinge causing the latch to be a wee bit tighter than it was before the hitch mount. First time I have it off I'll look at tweaking the hitch for a better fit like you did.

Also wired up the trailer connector. Looked and looked at the relay and the LT wire diagram, read some threads, thought about it from my experience and decided to forego the isolation relay. Can't see a specific need. I don't think the ABS bus is a new enough generation to sense just an increase in current or resistance, I think it's looking for nearly an open circuit, as in a burned out tail light bulb.

If I'm wrong I'll throw the relay on at Schoolhouse when I pick the trailer up. As far as protection, the standard fuses are adequate.
I made my own isolation unit with for plain old relays, one each for left/right/stop/tail lamps. Tapped into the tail light assembly using piggback connectors for now because I could not find the wires in the harness under the pax seat, but hope to resolve that this weekend at the Munster Garage tech session.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #16 of 28 Old Jun 7th, 2007, 11:00 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

post #17 of 28 Old Jun 8th, 2007, 7:49 am

Well I've had mine since '02 and one of the other PITA about the hitch is that it must be removed in order to take the rear rim off. I have developed a particular serious of foul language that seems to help get the durn thing aligned but they only work in the garage. The two times I have had to remove the wheel on the side of the road for repairs, it took three of us cussing at the same time. OTOH, I really like the trailer.

Quote:

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
'01 LTC
'99 Icon champagne
'02 KLR 650
TZ 185 2 stroke
Honda R100R beater

post #18 of 28 Old Jun 8th, 2007, 7:51 am

Gee.. I'm going to have to find something to HAMMER on!

"Hey, Honey.. I ordered a hitch and Unigo for the bike... yes, I'm going to use my Beautiful Flying Hammer (BFH =) on it...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #19 of 28 Old Jun 8th, 2007, 8:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
Gee.. I'm going to have to find something to HAMMER on!

"Hey, Honey.. I ordered a hitch and Unigo for the bike... yes, I'm going to use my Beautiful Flying Hammer (BFH =) on it...
Oh, so that is what the "F" in "BFH" stands for.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #20 of 28 Old Jun 8th, 2007, 11:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
Oh, so that is what the "F" in "BFH" stands for.
Gee, what else could it be?

-=grif=-

Grok
post #21 of 28 Old Jun 8th, 2007, 3:02 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

Big Ferrous/Ferocious Hammer

Take your pick.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #22 of 28 Old Jun 8th, 2007, 6:09 pm Thread Starter

Quote:

I don't see that my hitch could have possibly been mounted without moving either one of the left-side mounting locations. As I said, just 1/16" is all it needed. I'm thinking (OK, hoping) that rear tire changes won't be tough. I've had the hitch on and off several times, twice since I tweaked it, and it goes on/off pretty easily now.

Wiring? You may recall they didn't ship me the wiring harness -- at my request. I don't do wiring. They have it and will install it Saturday.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #23 of 28 Old Jun 9th, 2007, 7:03 am

Thor approves....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaffyK
Big Ferrous/Ferocious Hammer

Take your pick.
Ah......... well done, mortal! =)

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #24 of 28 Old Jun 11th, 2007, 10:13 pm
Super Moderator

May the force be with you . . .

Just bought a Unigo a week ago and took the hitch home to mount in advance like others. When it did not fit on the left side I just put a hydraulic jack between the two left posts and tweaked it a few times no problems. No sweating, no swearing - fits just fine. Besides you should not enlarge the mounting holes on the frame since you would need to do the same on the bag and that is not a good thing!!

Hammers - not around fine German machinery!!

I would hope me and others would alert Unigo (Mark Huffman) that he has a jig / fixture set up problem!! At the least he or his vendor should run quality checks on every 10th unit or so - either on a bike or standardized setup jig.

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #25 of 28 Old Jun 12th, 2007, 10:11 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfinazzo
Just bought a Unigo a week ago and took the hitch home to mount in advance like others. When it did not fit on the left side I just put a hydraulic jack between the two left posts and tweaked it a few times no problems. No sweating, no swearing - fits just fine. Besides you should not enlarge the mounting holes on the frame since you would need to do the same on the bag and that is not a good thing!!

Hammers - not around fine German machinery!!

I would hope me and others would alert Unigo (Mark Huffman) that he has a jig / fixture set up problem!! At the least he or his vendor should run quality checks on every 10th unit or so - either on a bike or standardized setup jig.
I was on the way to Unigo last Saturday (6/9) when Mark Huffman called and said there was a problem with the lid. It needs to be fixed/reworked; he will call some time this week to reschedule the pickup.

10-4 on not enlarging the bolt holes; that didn't make sense pretty quickly after I gave it a few moments' thought. My concern with doing that was compromising the rigidity of the hitch-to-frame connections.

Does Mark/Unigo actually make the hitch? I thought they outsourced that to someone... And, when I brought this problem to his attention he told me it was a BMW issue, not the hitch's.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #26 of 28 Old Jun 14th, 2007, 1:09 am
Super Moderator

Cool Unigo Wiring Diagram

Took all the separate wiring schematics that Mark gave me and made a one page diagram of how to wire up the Unigo. See attachment - Word Doc!!
Attached Files
File Type: doc Unigo Wiring.doc (45.5 KB, 61 views)

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #27 of 28 Old Jun 14th, 2007, 7:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfinazzo
Took all the separate wiring schematics that Mark gave me and made a one page diagram of how to wire up the Unigo. See attachment - Word Doc!!
Nice, clean diagram. But where are the bloody wires that one taps into on the bike harness. I have the color codes, and was told they are on the right side of the bike. Still no joy. Maybe a picture with the wires/wire bundle pointed out would help.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #28 of 28 Old Jun 14th, 2007, 7:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
But where are the bloody wires that one taps into on the bike harness. I have the color codes, and was told they are on the right side of the bike.
Tony,

I found it easiest to tap into them by taking off the rear tail-light. All the wires are accessable there. You can run a wire through the rubber grommet by opening it up a bit. The instructions I got from Dauntless when I installed my relay and wiring harness said to snake the wires along the frame tube on the right side to the rear. Not a lot of room to do this. I found it much easier and quicker to just take off the top case, the flat panel below it and the rear panel of the bike so that the wire harness to the rear could just be laid in place. Very few bolts needed to be removed to do this.

I'm supposed to be picking up a new Uni-go within about the next week or so too.

Carl

Euclid, Ohio
2003 Silver LTE
1971 HD XLH Sportster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in